Help lawchihuahua find a home(at least for the next 3 years)

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
law chihuahua

Help lawchihuahua find a home(at least for the next 3 years)

Postby law chihuahua » Sun Apr 14, 2013 12:46 am

- Appreciate the advice everyone! -
Last edited by law chihuahua on Sun Apr 14, 2013 6:43 am, edited 2 times in total.

WokeUpInACar

Re: Help lawchihuahua find a home(at least for the next 3 years)

Postby WokeUpInACar » Sun Apr 14, 2013 1:13 am

UT really shouldn't be an option at that price honestly. You shouldn't attend Minnesota either unless you're fine staying there forever as well. Also your WUSTL COA is definitely off (in a good way) because you can't just subtract from the LST number which takes into account compounding interest and loan fees from paying sticker. I'd bet with that scholarship your COA will be around 120k. That's a little more debt than I'd recommend taking on for WUSTL but I think it's a lot better than your other options.

Tom Joad

Postby Tom Joad » Sun Apr 14, 2013 1:17 am

UMN or WUSTL but it sucks that you don't have ties to any of those areas. I would probably say UMN because there is lower risk, but you are really going to have to kill law school to find a decent job in Minnesota or anywhere. UMN placement is dodgy at best. Kind of surprised I recommending UMN. I don't think I ever have, but the price is reasonable at least.

Postby 20141023 » Sun Apr 14, 2013 1:19 am

Last edited by 20141023 on Mon Feb 16, 2015 12:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

untar614

Postby untar614 » Sun Apr 14, 2013 1:21 am

circumstances that you can't write.... oh how you taunt us.

But I'm not really thrilled with those options. Wouldn't pay oos sticker for texas, and the other 2 I'd want to be connected to the area and plan on staying there to go to one of them. Would you want to stay in MN if u went there?

sinfiery

Postby sinfiery » Sun Apr 14, 2013 1:27 am

Pick the home you'd like to live in for the next 3 years rest of your life between UNM and WUTSL and attend there. Otherwise, retake and reapply!

Clearly

Postby Clearly » Sun Apr 14, 2013 1:30 am

...need stats. For all we know you could have drastically under-performed and should sit a cycle, or you could be a 3.8 162, and should be retaking.

law chihuahua

Postby law chihuahua » Sun Apr 14, 2013 2:10 am

Wow, lots of replies! Thanks for the votes and comments, guys. I really appreciate it, and anyone with more info, feel free to chime in. :D

@ WokeUpInACar
Yeah, the price of UT out of state is really scary. Unfortunately, it seems like they won't be giving me any aid, so that's the price I'm looking at, it seems. :( Oh, and thanks very much for pointing out the correct cost calculation for WUSTL!

@ Tom Joad
Yeah, the lack of ties is proving to be a big bummer. I totally agree; given the information available out there, grades will be very important and it may be argued that being near the bottom would mean I may have to drop out wherever I go. Anyways, thanks for your rec.!

@ kappycaft1
Yeah, "soft IP" would probably be much less helpful than being able to do hard IP. Thanks for the links, and I really appreciate the interesting analyses you always contribute to TLS!

@ untar614
Lol yeah, they're really nothing interesting actually. I appreciate your comments, though, and I wouldn't mind staying wherever I end up. I've lived in various places around the world so far, and I have no problem adjusting. I'm a bit worried about how I'll be received as an outsider there, though.

I'd greatly appreciate it if you or anyone else has firsthand experience with life in Minnesota, etc. :D

@ sinfiery
Good advice! Yeah, I'll have to consider there's a high probability that I will have to stay in the region I go to school. I'd love to retake, but I've already retaken 4 times. I think the universe is trying to tell me something, because all of my scores ended up being only 1 point apart. lol

@ Clearlynotstefan
Yeah, I would like to post but I would totally out myself since I have no GPA. Judging from LSN and the like, though, it seems I slightly overperformed, and since this is my third cycle I really need to just go or forget law school due to work, etc. And I really want to give it a try instead of giving up ahead of time.

Thanks guys! This is really helping with the decision process.

Clearly

Postby Clearly » Sun Apr 14, 2013 2:24 am

law chihuahua wrote:Wow, lots of replies! Thanks for the votes and comments, guys. I really appreciate it, and anyone with more info, feel free to chime in. :D

@ WokeUpInACar
Yeah, the price of UT out of state is really scary. Unfortunately, it seems like they won't be giving me any aid, so that's the price I'm looking at, it seems. :( Oh, and thanks very much for pointing out the correct cost calculation for WUSTL!

@ Tom Joad
Yeah, the lack of ties is proving to be a big bummer. I totally agree; given the information available out there, grades will be very important and it may be argued that being near the bottom would mean I may have to drop out wherever I go. Anyways, thanks for your rec.!

@ kappycaft1
Yeah, "soft IP" would probably be much less helpful than being able to do hard IP. Thanks for the links, and I really appreciate the interesting analyses you always contribute to TLS!

@ untar614
Lol yeah, they're really nothing interesting actually. I appreciate your comments, though, and I wouldn't mind staying wherever I end up. I've lived in various places around the world so far, and I have no problem adjusting. I'm a bit worried about how I'll be received as an outsider there, though.

I'd greatly appreciate it if you or anyone else has firsthand experience with life in Minnesota, etc. :D

@ sinfiery
Good advice! Yeah, I'll have to consider there's a high probability that I will have to stay in the region I go to school. I'd love to retake, but I've already retaken 4 times. I think the universe is trying to tell me something, because all of my scores ended up being only 1 point apart. lol

@ Clearlynotstefan
Yeah, I would like to post but I would totally out myself since I have no GPA. Judging from LSN and the like, though, it seems I slightly overperformed, and since this is my third cycle I really need to just go or forget law school due to work, etc. And I really want to give it a try instead of giving up ahead of time.

Thanks guys! This is really helping with the decision process.

Would you PM me your stats? You certainly have a tough decision a head, best of luck to you either way!

Tom Joad

Postby Tom Joad » Sun Apr 14, 2013 2:30 am

Clearlynotstefan wrote:Would you PM me your stats? You certainly have a tough decision a head, best of luck to you either way!

Seems like a ~3.8 167 person.

Richie Tenenbaum

Postby Richie Tenenbaum » Sun Apr 14, 2013 3:01 am

I love UT, but I wouldn't recommend it at OOS sticker to most people. I also have a hard time imagining WUSTL is worth that amount of money. UMN has pretty weak employment stats, but at least its worst case scenario (no legal job + debt) is a lot better than the other two options.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Sun Apr 14, 2013 10:11 am

Why so quick to edit out? Only six hours of advice during TLS's low point of activity (overnight Saturday-Sunday)? Not really getting much feedback.

untar614

Postby untar614 » Sun Apr 14, 2013 10:41 am

law chihuahua wrote:@ untar614

My dad lived in Minneapolis for 2 years around 05-07. He seemed to like it, minus the weather. It's another large midwestern city.

I can't speak to the legal market there though.

A. Nony Mouse

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Sun Apr 14, 2013 11:21 am

The Twin Cities are a really nice place to live, as long as you can handle the cold. November to May will be very cold and very gray. (It got down to -60F when I lived there.) But it's a very livable place otherwise - the people are nice, lots of good restaurants, music, theater, places to go out, lovely lakes and nice outdoor spaces for when the weather is good. And while costs have gone up a lot since I lived there in the 90s, I'm sure it's still way less expensive than the major coastal cities or Chicago.

I know nothing about the legal market there, though. There have been some less than flattering threads about UMN Law on this board. The side of campus with the law school is...not super attractive unless you like 60s minimalist architecture and concrete. But that's all I know.

basketball law guy

Postby basketball law guy » Sun Apr 14, 2013 11:30 am

I just made the commitment to go to the U of M. I am an upper midwest guy and I really enjoy the Twin Cities. I have several ties to the Minneapolis and St. Paul legal markets so it made sense for me to choose Minnesota. I am looking forward to an urban campus environment and the cold does not faze me- I just appreciate May-November more. Good luck in your search.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”