Duke ($) v. BC ($$) Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Duke or BC

Duke
84%
Boston College
16%

Total votes: 19

uncertain1

New

Duke ($) v. BC ($$)

Post by uncertain1 » Fri Apr 12, 2013 9:57 pm

Last edited by uncertain1 on Wed Apr 24, 2013 11:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

WokeUpInACar

Platinum

Re: Duke ($) v. BC ($$)

Post by WokeUpInACar » Fri Apr 12, 2013 10:02 pm

Yikes to that UG debt. How much did you prepare for the LSAT the first time?

sinfiery

Gold

Post by sinfiery » Fri Apr 12, 2013 10:07 pm

With that UG debt, you're gonna 100% need biglaw and just find a way to hold on for as long as you can. I pick Duke for this reason.

northwood

Platinum

Post by northwood » Fri Apr 12, 2013 10:24 pm

I would strongly reconsider starting in the fall. You need to add in your undergrad loans to the law school cost and then calculate how big the monthly payment is. I would take the year off, retake in OCtober, get a job now and start studying for a re-take. Apply to you state flagship schools early, and adjust your target depending on your PT average and test performance.

GO to the school that offers you the best scholarship for its value ( ability to get a legal position in your target region) and with no stipulations..... or work 5 years, pay off that debt some and then revisit law school later

patrickd139

Gold

Post by patrickd139 » Fri Apr 12, 2013 10:27 pm

I agree with Northwood: you've come dangerously close to pricing yourself out of a smart law school decision with the UG debt. I wouldn't personally attend anywhere that's not a your home state's flagship law school with $0 tuition, low cost of living. And I'd consider dropping out early on if you don't do well there.

Edit: just realized you're from Boston. I wouldn't go unless you get into Harvard, Yale or Stanford at any price, or BC/BU for free. I wouldn't personally go unless I got serious scholarship money from YHS or BU/BC for free. If I got free law school, I probably would take that over YHS, but I'm really risk averse.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

WokeUpInACar

Platinum

Post by WokeUpInACar » Fri Apr 12, 2013 10:33 pm

Meh. I think going to a regional for cheap would be a pretty bad decision for OP. IF he goes to law school he's gotta be biglaw or bust because he's going to have over 200k debt regardless. Whether that's his best option, who knows.

WearyCartographer

New

Post by WearyCartographer » Fri Apr 12, 2013 10:36 pm

northwood wrote:I would strongly reconsider starting in the fall. You need to add in your undergrad loans to the law school cost and then calculate how big the monthly payment is. I would take the year off, retake in OCtober, get a job now and start studying for a re-take. Apply to you state flagship schools early, and adjust your target depending on your PT average and test performance.

GO to the school that offers you the best scholarship for its value ( ability to get a legal position in your target region) and with no stipulations..... or work 5 years, pay off that debt some and then revisit law school later
With your UG debt and current options law school isn't worth it. Even if you land biglaw, good luck paying off a debt that will be approaching $300k (from your cheapest option) in any reasonable time frame. You are much better off taking some time off and starting to attack that debt. Sounds like you live in MA - so state flagship isn't an option if you want biglaw.

Given your current financial situation and goals - I wouldn't attend any school except for BC/BU (for under $30k COA) or a T14 (for under $90 COA [possible exceptions being HYS]). Even these amounts are on the high attend and probably above the tolerance of most users here.

uncertain1

New

Post by uncertain1 » Fri Apr 12, 2013 10:41 pm

I would say I studied for the LSAT a medium amount. My concern with trying to pay my debt down before law school is that it would take years. Would it not be worth the risk of adding on more debt with the hope that my salary would be better than it would be after undergrad? Then at least I would have competed all my schooling and be ready to buckle down and pay everything off.

PRgradBYU

Silver

Post by PRgradBYU » Sat Apr 13, 2013 12:30 am

WokeUpInACar wrote:Meh. I think going to a regional for cheap would be a pretty bad decision for OP. IF he goes to law school he's gotta be biglaw or bust because he's going to have over 200k debt regardless. Whether that's his best option, who knows.
This. Or, don't go to law school at all... can you imagine if OP missed the BigLaw boat?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

californiauser

Silver

Post by californiauser » Sat Apr 13, 2013 12:54 am

OP can IBR or PAYE all of his loans, no?

northwood

Platinum

Post by northwood » Sat Apr 13, 2013 7:43 am

even if OP can go to LS for free, OP will still have about 15K in loans/ year for cost of living expenses. That brings his total debt amount to 175K plus interest.

now that I think about it- its go to medical school( heard that there may be a shortage of doctors) or get a job

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”