Columbia ($) v Duke ($$)

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Go to

Columbia (40k)
77%
Duke (90k)
23%

Total votes: 22

kakistocracy

Columbia ($) v Duke ($$)

Postby kakistocracy » Fri Apr 12, 2013 6:54 pm

I've got 40k from Columbia and 90k from Duke. I know the go-to option here is Columbia, buuuuut I'm a very very debt/risk averse person. Parents are wealthy but estranged, so I've got the best of both worlds here - don't qualify for need-based and I'll be footing the entire cost via loans and savings. I've also got some undergrad debt I'm carrying over, so adding more to that makes me antsy.

I'm from CA and I'd like to stay there. Ideally, my career plans are to put in some years in biglaw, pay off debts, then do something less strenuous (govt? PI?). I've honestly not locked in on exactly what I want yet. Academia/clerkships would be great, but I won't assume I'll be able to pull off the grades for them.

I guess what I'm asking is if Columbia is worth going an extra 50k in debt, considering my situation. I've also got UCLA and Vanderbilt with more money, but I don't think they're going on the table (though do feel free to correct me if I'm wrong).

Secondary question, but would it be at all possible to get more money out of either school using the other offer?

Thanks in advance!

NoodleyOne

Re: Columbia ($) v Duke ($$)

Postby NoodleyOne » Fri Apr 12, 2013 6:59 pm

Duke may budge, Columbia most likely won't.

That being said, the difference is going to be more than 50k. Columbia's tuition is higher, I believe, and on top of that, the CoL is WAY higher.

gaucholaw

Postby gaucholaw » Fri Apr 12, 2013 7:52 pm

Out of curiosity, what was your UCLA offer?

kakistocracy

Postby kakistocracy » Sat Apr 13, 2013 12:55 am

NoodleyOne wrote:Duke may budge, Columbia most likely won't.

That being said, the difference is going to be more than 50k. Columbia's tuition is higher, I believe, and on top of that, the CoL is WAY higher.

Yeah, thanks for noting that. Columbia's tuition is slightly higher at $53,636 versus Duke's $52,620. Estimated COA for Columbia is $79,950 and for Duke is $74,913. I'm getting these numbers just off their websites though - is this generally a fair assessment?

gaucholaw wrote:Out of curiosity, what was your UCLA offer?

A little over 100k, though I haven't tried haggling with them/knowing if that would work.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”