LS in the fall or try for better next cycle? Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Should I go this year?

Yes
74%
No
26%

Total votes: 19

mh33

New

LS in the fall or try for better next cycle?

Post by mh33 » Thu Apr 11, 2013 3:35 pm

Hi TLS,

I am a senior in college right now, and I am planning on heading directly to law school at Boston College next year, so I wanted to get some input on my decision. Here's the info:

COST: 50% scholly. Very fortunately, my parents will be covering the rest of tuition, and I will be living at home and still on my parents health insurance etc, so law school will be free other than the opportunity cost. I have a government degree from a prestigious liberal arts school, and it has not yielded any promising job prospects, which is fine with me because I have been planning on law school since high school.

GOAL: 100+ firm in Boston

BACKGROUND: From Boston area and very intent on staying there. My dad has a busy solo practice working a lot of hours doing relatively simple work, so working with him and then taking over the shop is always there as a backup option. I have already begun networking for info interviews and the like and have found a lot of connections through family, friends, high school etc. who are partners/associates at major firms in Boston, FWIW.

STATS: 3.5/166 (Took LSAT once and only exceeded that score once on PTs.)

SO, would it be worth waiting a year to up my LSAT for T-14 to meet my goal of Boston Big Law?

Thanks,
MH

DoveBodyWash

Gold

Re: LS in the fall or try for better next cycle?

Post by DoveBodyWash » Thu Apr 11, 2013 4:22 pm

Strictly speaking, yes. Going to a T14 with Boston ties would open up other markets in addition to Boston.

(FWIW I'm also from Boston)

That said, i think it would be okay for you to go to school this year. No debt and BC is still a solid school, especially for Boston. If you do well you should be okay for BigLaw, if you don't do well..you don't have debt so doesn't really matter.

So it's ultimately up to you, i think you could definitely enjoy some long-term benefits by re-taking and re-applying though.

patrickd139

Gold

Post by patrickd139 » Thu Apr 11, 2013 4:23 pm

What is your UGPA? How long/intensely did you study for the LSAT when you were prepping?

DoveBodyWash

Gold

Post by DoveBodyWash » Thu Apr 11, 2013 4:24 pm

patrickd139 wrote:What is your UGPA? How long/intensely did you study for the LSAT when you were prepping?
mh33 wrote: STATS: 3.5/166 (Took LSAT once and only exceeded that score once on PTs.)

resilience99

Bronze

Post by resilience99 » Thu Apr 11, 2013 4:26 pm

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

patrickd139

Gold

Post by patrickd139 » Thu Apr 11, 2013 4:28 pm

cusenation wrote:
patrickd139 wrote:What is your UGPA? How long/intensely did you study for the LSAT when you were prepping?
mh33 wrote: STATS: 3.5/166 (Took LSAT once and only exceeded that score once on PTs.)
:oops: My bad. Let's try this again.
patrickd139 wrote:What is your UGPA?How long/intensely did you study for the LSAT when you were prepping?

ManoftheHour

Gold

Post by ManoftheHour » Thu Apr 11, 2013 4:37 pm

mh33 wrote:Hi TLS,

I am a senior in college right now, and I am planning on heading directly to law school at Boston College next year, so I wanted to get some input on my decision. Here's the info:

COST: 50% scholly. Very fortunately, my parents will be covering the rest of tuition, and I will be living at home and still on my parents health insurance etc, so law school will be free other than the opportunity cost. I have a government degree from a prestigious liberal arts school, and it has not yielded any promising job prospects, which is fine with me because I have been planning on law school since high school.

GOAL: 100+ firm in Boston

BACKGROUND: From Boston area and very intent on staying there. My dad has a busy solo practice working a lot of hours doing relatively simple work, so working with him and then taking over the shop is always there as a backup option. I have already begun networking for info interviews and the like and have found a lot of connections through family, friends, high school etc. who are partners/associates at major firms in Boston, FWIW.

STATS: 3.5/166 (Took LSAT once and only exceeded that score once on PTs.)

SO, would it be worth waiting a year to up my LSAT for T-14 to meet my goal of Boston Big Law?

Thanks,
MH
OP, put down a deposit for BC. Sign up for the June LSAT. Study. Like. NOW. Take the June LSAT. Get a 170+. Eat your deposit. Reapply next year. Get into T14 or BC/BU with full ride.

AND

If you bomb the June LSAT, you can still go to BC this year.

guinness1547

Silver

Post by guinness1547 » Thu Apr 11, 2013 4:37 pm

cusenation wrote:Strictly speaking, yes. Going to a T14 with Boston ties would open up other markets in addition to Boston.

(FWIW I'm also from Boston)

That said, i think it would be okay for you to go to school this year. No debt and BC is still a solid school, especially for Boston. If you do well you should be okay for BigLaw, if you don't do well..you don't have debt so doesn't really matter.

So it's ultimately up to you, i think you could definitely enjoy some long-term benefits by re-taking and re-applying though.

I'd say this.
How long/intensely did you study for the LSAT when you were prepping?
Unless the answer to that question is not intensely at all. Then you'd do well to take a year off, retake and either go to a higher ranked school or save your parents a lot of money.

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Thu Apr 11, 2013 8:29 pm

Absolutely worth it to retake. It is getting to the point where a June retake might be hurried, so I'd take Sept/Oct so you can get your apps in early, and possibly again in December if you happen to bomb in the fall. You have nothing to lose at this point, and a few points makes it the best decision you ever made. Good luck OP.

hephaestus

Gold

Post by hephaestus » Thu Apr 11, 2013 8:55 pm

Retake since your goals don't match BC (unless you get extremely lucky grade wise) T14 + ties will get you back.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Choosing a Law School”