BC ($15K/year) v. GW Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

BC ($15K) v. GW

BC
69%
GW
31%

Total votes: 13

Kate514

New

BC ($15K/year) v. GW

Post by Kate514 » Thu Apr 11, 2013 3:29 pm

I'm a chemical engineer (3.8 UG GPA and 3.8 MS GPA) from the NYC area trying to decide between an offer from BC with $15K/yr and GW with no scholarship offer. I'm looking to pursue a career in IP and while I enjoy living in NYC I do not feel a particular need to commit to the area long term and am open to relocating (I would rank #1 NYC, #2 DC, #3 Boston).

I know GW has a great reputation for IP. However, I don't know if GW's IP and overall reputations are strong enough that it is worth paying full tuition over a scholarship at BC. Combined with the difference in tuition between the two schools, I am looking at a savings upwards of $20K per year to attend BC over GW. My goal after school is to get into a Big Law firm or a bigger IP boutique (Kenyon and Kenyon; Fitzpatrick, Cella; etc.). I am somewhat more interested in patent prosecution (already passed the patent bar) but would like to get some IP litigation experience as well.

Can anyone comment on my situation and offer advice on what I am better off going with? Thanks for any input. :)

deuceindc

Bronze

Re: BC ($15K/year) v. GW

Post by deuceindc » Thu Apr 11, 2013 3:56 pm

First of all, with that GPA the obvious answer is re-take and shoot for a better school or at least a scholarship at GWU. No brainer.

GWU can definitely put you in those jobs, but you're still rolling the dice with 200k+ of debt if you go without a scholarship. Not going to GWU isn't going to keep you out of those jobs, though.

Bottom line: BC is cheaper but won't have as many chances at BigLaw. GWU is a lot more expensive but IP kids at the top half have a crack at BigLaw.

dissonance1848

Silver

Re: BC ($15K/year) v. GW

Post by dissonance1848 » Thu Apr 11, 2013 4:03 pm

A Chemi with a 3.8 and these are your options? WTF! Retake, retake, retake until you nail it and get either HYS or CCNP with at least 80-100k money.

Whats with these awesome engineering kids and bad law school outcomes today?

Return to “Choosing a Law School”