Can't Decide

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
sdonn613

Can't Decide

Postby sdonn613 » Thu Apr 11, 2013 11:36 am

I want to practice in NYC and I'm not aiming for a big law job. I live in queens so commuting is an option for some of the schools. I'm leaning towards ADR and mediation though I would not be surprised if that changed later on. Paying for law school would be a combination of family and a small loan. My parents are adamant about attending law school and have the money to help me. I have only taken the LSAT once but it was after 30+ practice tests and a prep class where I ranged from 158-162. I have a 3.0/159.

Rutgers - 10k maintain a 3.0 GPA
St.johns - 25k remain in top 40%
Hofstra - 40k remain in top 40%
Penn State - 20k maintain a 2.75 GPA
Chicago Kent - 20k per year
Cardozo - no money part time may program
Brooklyn - waitlisted, don't expect to receive any money
Seton Hall - 15k 2.8 GPA
Last edited by sdonn613 on Thu Apr 11, 2013 11:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

WokeUpInACar

Re: Can't Decide

Postby WokeUpInACar » Thu Apr 11, 2013 11:39 am

None of these schools are worth attending at these prices. Hofstra is the least awful choice because you wouldn't be *completely* crippled by debt (as long as you drop out if you don't meet the stip), but it's really not a good school at all.
Last edited by WokeUpInACar on Thu Apr 11, 2013 11:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

philosoraptor

Postby philosoraptor » Thu Apr 11, 2013 11:40 am

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=206299. Post all this info.

sdonn613

Postby sdonn613 » Thu Apr 11, 2013 11:51 am

Rutgers seems like an alright choice because of the 10k merit scholarship and in state tuition bringing the total COA for 3 years to roughly 40k. excluding books and housing. If lets say i would only take on 20k of debt myself with the rest being shouldered by family does it make sense?

WokeUpInACar

Postby WokeUpInACar » Thu Apr 11, 2013 11:53 am

sdonn613 wrote:Rutgers seems like an alright choice because of the 10k merit scholarship and in state tuition bringing the total COA for 3 years to roughly 40k. excluding books and housing. If lets say i would only take on 20k of debt myself with the rest being shouldered by family does it make sense?

As long as you are cool with practicing in Jersey and drop out if you lose the scholarship that sounds like a decent option.

sdonn613

Postby sdonn613 » Thu Apr 11, 2013 11:58 am

WokeUpInACar wrote:
sdonn613 wrote:Rutgers seems like an alright choice because of the 10k merit scholarship and in state tuition bringing the total COA for 3 years to roughly 40k. excluding books and housing. If lets say i would only take on 20k of debt myself with the rest being shouldered by family does it make sense?

As long as you are cool with practicing in Jersey and drop out if you lose the scholarship that sounds like a decent option.

Are the chances of obtaining a job in NYC that slim even if I'm not looking for a big law job?

WokeUpInACar

Postby WokeUpInACar » Thu Apr 11, 2013 12:06 pm

sdonn613 wrote:
WokeUpInACar wrote:

Are the chances of obtaining a job in NYC that slim even if I'm not looking for a big law job?

I'm not sure if you're referring to Camden or Newark, but Camden placed 3.3% of students into New York: http://www.lstscorereports.com/?school= ... b=location and Newark placed 14.4% http://www.lstscorereports.com/?school= ... b=location. Not very good odds.

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Thu Apr 11, 2013 12:09 pm

philosoraptor wrote:http://top-law-schools.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=206299. Post all this info.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Thu Apr 11, 2013 1:24 pm

The only option that's even possibly worth going to is Rutgers and that's only if you get your scholarship up more. I think you're underestimating the cost of that degree as it stands now.

h_jane_w

Postby h_jane_w » Thu Apr 11, 2013 1:31 pm

sdonn613 wrote:My parents are adamant about attending law school and have the money to help me

Just...just...(facepalm)

Come back to do a funny stories thread about cheating on your wife and being an alcoholic. (because you hate your job and your parents will probably have picked your wife as well)

philosoraptor

Postby philosoraptor » Thu Apr 11, 2013 2:18 pm

Do some research on the ADR/mediation market in the NYC area. My knowledge is limited to Texas, but my understanding is that in order to be taken seriously in the ADR field, you'll need to have substantial litigation experience or be a former judge. No one wants to pay large sums to a kid fresh out of law school to mediate their disputes. And you need serious connections and a serious reputation to get business. This goal would be more appropriate after several (or many) years of practicing law.

But more important, do NOT let your parents pressure you into going to law school. You will be utterly miserable unless you have your own goals and motivations. YOU have to be the one who's adamant about going. It's also likely that your parents, even if they're attorneys, have no idea how bad the legal market is right now. Grow up and make your own decisions. Get a job and take some time to consider whether you actually want to (try to) become a lawyer.

sdonn613

Postby sdonn613 » Thu Apr 11, 2013 2:50 pm

h_jane_w wrote:
sdonn613 wrote:My parents are adamant about attending law school and have the money to help me

Just...just...(facepalm)

Come back to do a funny stories thread about cheating on your wife and being an alcoholic. (because you hate your job and your parents will probably have picked your wife as well)

I didn't mean that to sound as if they were pressuring me. They are adamant in their support of my desire to become a lawyer. Law school was my choice and was not influenced by their opionions

DoveBodyWash

Postby DoveBodyWash » Thu Apr 11, 2013 3:05 pm

WokeUpInACar wrote:

+1

OP you should consider taking the LSAT again..your GPA is low, but it's not so low that you wouldn't benefit if you got a higher LSAT. I sympathize that you probably don't want to after 30+ practice tests...but in the grand scheme of things you've only taken it once and buckling down for a few more months to prep is definitely worth it.

BigZuck

Postby BigZuck » Thu Apr 11, 2013 4:12 pm

philosoraptor wrote:Get a job

I like this advice. I think that's better than going to one of these schools at these prices. Your options need to be substantially better than this, especially if you want to work in NY.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”