Wealthy students and T6 Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
BruceWayne

Gold

Re: Wealthy students and T6

Post by BruceWayne » Thu Apr 11, 2013 2:38 pm

Although it sounds like the OP is looking for people who are downright rich. The reality is that across the entire top 14, attendees are generally upper middle class. I discovered this pretty early on once I started law school.

Micdiddy

Gold

Post by Micdiddy » Thu Apr 11, 2013 2:39 pm

sinfiery wrote:
Micdiddy wrote:from his post history
:shock: :shock: :shock:
Yeah I know. Context is everything. But I'm also one that has been known to flame first and ask questions later, so I can understand the direction this thread started in.

Myself

Silver

Post by Myself » Thu Apr 11, 2013 2:48 pm

Last edited by Myself on Wed Nov 20, 2013 1:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

NoodleyOne

Gold

Post by NoodleyOne » Thu Apr 11, 2013 3:16 pm

Tcr is to go to H or P and buddy up with the people in the business school.

drmguy

Silver

Post by drmguy » Thu Apr 11, 2013 3:18 pm

Are you trying to avoid catching the poor? I've heard it's pretty contagious.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

trojandave

Bronze

Post by trojandave » Thu Apr 11, 2013 3:54 pm

When you get right down to it, we're all just going to law school to marry hot rich people, right? I even devoted half of my Why Xs to this goal

UtilityMonster

Bronze

Post by UtilityMonster » Thu Apr 11, 2013 3:55 pm

Lol holy shit read the post he made on finding a woman at law school. This guy is insane. I think the entire profile is for the lawlz but if he is serious....

Edit: hahahaha apparently he is going to Hawaii after he graduates.

jbagelboy

Diamond

Post by jbagelboy » Thu Apr 11, 2013 4:41 pm

Clearly BS but I'll play along.

At Harvard and Columbia, the benefit is international students who tend to be ludicrously wealthy. Harvard (not just law, but business & undergrad too) features a lot of foreign aristocrats -- a friend from high school was the freshmen year roommate of the great grandson of Otto von Hapsburg, he had his own maid for his dorm room. And not just the defunct german and austrian houses, you'll find house of saud, japanese imperial family, ect., not to mention all the untitled foreign money, like the billionaire son of the recently imprisoned chinese communist party district governor. these are the kinds of people that need trusts.

For new money, definitely Stanford. so much future silicon valley money on that campus.

lmsf

New

Post by lmsf » Thu Apr 11, 2013 8:36 pm

Okay ... I guess I'll try to answer this.

Like another poster said, if they're in law school themselves, unclear whether they need another lawyer's advice for estate planning. BUT, the people in business school and other programs might. If that's the case, I agree with jbagelboy, Harvard is going to have legacy, international, and old money students (a business school student there told me as much). However, if you have Asperger's, which I understand to mean that you have difficulty with social interaction, this career goal might be a really bad decision. Old money people (who prob. already have financial advisors through their family) can be the biggest sticklers to conforming to a very strict set of societal rules. If this is something you have trouble with, many of them will not accept you, as a school friend or as a financial advisor. Seriously, there's an article about how a socialite said that Larry Page, co-founder of Google and billionaire, is not good enough to hang out with them because he doesn't have the right social cues.

If you're really really set on this ... the new money people may be more receptive, esp. the tech people where there may be others with Asperger's who are great at coding and in one of the few fields where the social rules aren't as rigidly enforced, and as new money they may actually be in need of financial help. For that, Stanford is probably the best. Also, as a career path, you can work with certain nonprofits in endowment and fundraising and make your connections with "the wealthy" that way.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

TaipeiMort

Silver

Post by TaipeiMort » Thu Apr 11, 2013 8:50 pm

This guy has aspergers, and you guys need to be nicer about that. I actually don't think his question is that bad. For example, U of C has at least two billionaire, and a bunch of multimillionaire alums. Imagine if you were a partner at a private wealth management boutique like Ivins. The first thing you would do is call up your rich classmates and ask if they need representation. If they like you, they might hire you. Not bad way to make $$$.

BeautifulSW

Silver

Post by BeautifulSW » Fri Apr 12, 2013 12:35 pm

I doubt that you generally can make that kind of personal connection in law school. If you are a member of the really privileged upper classes, you have already formed those interpersonal relationships by the time you finish prep school. If not, it's probably too late.

The Very Rich really ARE different.

ManoftheHour

Gold

Post by ManoftheHour » Fri Apr 12, 2013 12:59 pm

drmguy wrote:Are you trying to avoid catching the poor? I've heard it's pretty contagious.
I don't know about contagious, but I'd try to avoid really really poor people. Working in customer service for years, they're a hand full. They're always so angry. It's really hard to connect with poor people. I'm not talking about 30k/year household family poor. I'm talking about near poverty flyover states poor.

toothbrush

Gold

Post by toothbrush » Fri Apr 12, 2013 1:00 pm

ManoftheHour wrote:
drmguy wrote:Are you trying to avoid catching the poor? I've heard it's pretty contagious.
I don't know about contagious, but I'd try to avoid really really poor people. Working in customer service for years, they're a hand full. They're always so angry. It's really hard to connect with poor people. I'm not talking about 30k/year household family poor. I'm talking about near poverty flyover states poor.
whoosh

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Renne Walker

Silver

Post by Renne Walker » Fri Apr 12, 2013 3:31 pm

Given the seriousness of this thread, I am hopeful that the OP will give NYU a fair shot. Granted we’re not HYSC, not all of our daddies own Gulfstream jets (embarrassing, huh). We do try to dress decent, even on casual day.

--ImageRemoved--

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “Choosing a Law School”