Wealthy students and T6

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
PrelawSteve

Wealthy students and T6

Postby PrelawSteve » Thu Apr 11, 2013 11:14 am

In terms of the T6 schools HYS and CCN which of these schools contains the best selection of very wealthy students? Among the schools that do contain wealthy students what type of wealth is it (i.e old money, new money eight figures, nine figures, etc)?

The reason why I ask is because I may need to network with the wealthy for some of my potential career goals (such as estates and trusts, foundation work, etc).

Thanks

NoodleyOne

Re: Wealthy students and T6

Postby NoodleyOne » Thu Apr 11, 2013 11:16 am

I have no words.

RSterling

Postby RSterling » Thu Apr 11, 2013 11:17 am

NoodleyOne wrote:...

I have no words.

this. I've seen some crazy reasons for choosing one law school over the other, but this takes the cake.

I'm calling (hoping?) flame.

badaboom61

Postby badaboom61 » Thu Apr 11, 2013 11:18 am

SMU brah

Cobretti

Postby Cobretti » Thu Apr 11, 2013 11:29 am

badaboom61 wrote:SMU brah

NanaP

Postby NanaP » Thu Apr 11, 2013 11:40 am

Funniest post I've seen in a while.

Let me try to understand? You're choosing a school based on how many rich kids attend, just so you can pick them off in the future??? LOL

90convoy

Postby 90convoy » Thu Apr 11, 2013 11:42 am

NanaP wrote:Funniest post I've seen in a while.

Let me try to understand? You're choosing a school based on how many rich kids attend, just so you can pick them off in the future??? LOL

Dude. You gotta plan this type of stuff out.

toothbrush

Postby toothbrush » Thu Apr 11, 2013 11:42 am

PrelawSteve wrote:In terms of the T6 schools HYS and CCN which of these schools contains the best selection of very wealthy students? Among the schools that do contain wealthy students what type of wealth is it (i.e old money, new money eight figures, nine figures, etc)?

The reason why I ask is because I may need to network with the wealthy for some of my potential career goals (such as estates and trusts, foundation work, etc).

Thanks

well, steve, you're an idiot.

bananapeanutbutter

Postby bananapeanutbutter » Thu Apr 11, 2013 11:56 am

I'd prefer all wealthy students. If you're going to school with people with all the same IQ, I'd much rather be on a curve with really rich people with my IQ than really poor people with my IQ. Nothing is more intimidating to a curve than a smart kid who is worried about putting bread on the table.

banjo

Postby banjo » Thu Apr 11, 2013 11:59 am

CLS of course. And NYU contains the greatest percentage of poor students, which is why it's good if you want to do public interest.

PRgradBYU

Postby PRgradBYU » Thu Apr 11, 2013 12:00 pm

PrelawSteve wrote:In terms of the T6 schools HYS and CCN which of these schools contains the best selection of very wealthy students? Among the schools that do contain wealthy students what type of wealth is it (i.e old money, new money eight figures, nine figures, etc)?

Thanks

FLAME. Or just a douchebag.

Big Dog

Postby Big Dog » Thu Apr 11, 2013 12:03 pm

make a poll. Let's have some fun.

jeffgarlin

Postby jeffgarlin » Thu Apr 11, 2013 12:13 pm

Big Dog wrote:make a poll. Let's have some fun.

if you want some fun right now, read his post history.

badaboom61

Postby badaboom61 » Thu Apr 11, 2013 12:19 pm

jeffgarlin wrote:
Big Dog wrote:make a poll. Let's have some fun.

if you want some fun right now, read his post history.

His post history seems elaborate and consistent enough to imply that he isn't a flame. This is upsetting on many levels.

bananapeanutbutter

Postby bananapeanutbutter » Thu Apr 11, 2013 12:24 pm

law schools are comprised of truly kind and intelligent people, incredible douchebags and people out of touch with reality. OP seems to be a combination of 2 and 3. it's no big deal.

delusional

Postby delusional » Thu Apr 11, 2013 12:24 pm

Columbia is richest today, but by the time they are trusting and estating, HLS grads will be ahead. I like this career path, BTW. Just when all the other students will be hitting a career malaise, about 35 years after law school, you'll be working those contacts you made in school and cultivated for decades, so that you can get their T&E work.

NYstate

Postby NYstate » Thu Apr 11, 2013 12:29 pm

Do you want absolute numbers or percentage? Harvard has the biggest class but they also give need based aid, so you may be stuck with a lot of poors. Also remember that many people are not going to be practicing in the same place as you. Also, most of my rich friends already have family trust attorneys. They didn't create their wealth, the family did so they may not be looking for representation.

That said, I vote for Columbia.

biznardos

Postby biznardos » Thu Apr 11, 2013 12:43 pm

Princeton Law

Stinson

Postby Stinson » Thu Apr 11, 2013 12:48 pm

Because the thread is fun and tongue-in-cheek, I would like to challenge the notion that HYS's need based aid means there will be more poors at HYS. CCN try to use merit based scholarships to induce people away from each other and especially away from HYS by dangling money in front of them. Presumably a "very wealthy student" such as OP is seeking would not be persuaded by a pedestrian offer of something he already has, but rather by the international prestige and erotic power of the peerless Harvard name.

Indeed, I think the evidence weighs much against Columbia here. Besides offering their mercenary Hamilton and Butler scholarships to bright proles to lure them away from the Ivy-covered Gothic walls of Yale or the sun-dappled patios of Stanford, Columbia's firm-centric placement speaks to a student body desperate to enter or perhaps remain in the upper-middle class, not one that plans to work for father's (dare I say, "pa-pa's"?) family foundation upon graduation. If anything, NYU's greater PI placement would suggest it has more trust-funders per capita than Columbia.

But to the larger question, mightn't OP be better served, if it is wealth he seeks, to cast his gaze wider to graduate programs undirtied by the prospect of financial gain, that offer prestige but refrigerator-box job prospects? Not silly altruistic things like social work, but classy fields like art history that you would be financially suicidal to pursue without family money?

Granting that I am quite joking here, what does TLS think?
Last edited by Stinson on Thu Apr 11, 2013 2:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

h_jane_w

Postby h_jane_w » Thu Apr 11, 2013 1:12 pm

Isn't NYU famous for not giving good aid? I'd have thought, being in such an expensive part of town vs. Harlem it would have richer students. The point about people going into PI is also a good point. You only go into PI after LS if you don't care about paying your school loans back / have no school loans. (e.g. you know your family can pay them off in time or you wrote a check for tuition)
Where as everyone in Columbia wants Biglaw because they want money they've never had no? and also they need to pay back their loans.

But I'm a OL. I don't know shit.

sinfiery

Postby sinfiery » Thu Apr 11, 2013 1:57 pm

h_jane_w wrote:Isn't NYU famous for not giving good aid? I'd have thought, being in such an expensive part of town vs. Harlem it would have richer students. The point about people going into PI is also a good point. You only go into PI after LS if you don't care about paying your school loans back / have no school loans. (e.g. you know your family can pay them off in time or you wrote a check for tuition)
Where as everyone in Columbia wants Biglaw because they want money they've never had no? and also they need to pay back their loans.

But I'm a OL. I don't know shit.

I'm gonna back this theory

Micdiddy

Postby Micdiddy » Thu Apr 11, 2013 2:29 pm

You guys, if OP actually has Asperger's (suggested from his post history) than he may not even know what's wrong with his post. Just sayin'.

Drake014

Postby Drake014 » Thu Apr 11, 2013 2:34 pm

Thanks

I don't think this is a logical thought process.

sinfiery

Postby sinfiery » Thu Apr 11, 2013 2:35 pm

Micdiddy wrote:from his post history

:shock: :shock: :shock:

star fox

Postby star fox » Thu Apr 11, 2013 2:35 pm

If they're in Law School will they really need you down the line to do their trusts and estates?

Return to “Choosing a Law School”