MSU vs. William Mitchell

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
Berchild05

MSU vs. William Mitchell

Postby Berchild05 » Thu Apr 11, 2013 3:04 am

Graduating this spring in Minnesota.

Michigan state offered me a full tuition trustee scholarship, 2.5 GPA to retain.

William Mitchell has offered me an 85% tuition scholarship and I'd get to stay in the area.

I have 0 undergrad debt and job prospects out of law school aren't a huge concern. I'm in an army program that requires me to serve active duty afterwards and is most likely going to end up with me practicing JAG for 4 years. Opinions? Thanks

togepi

Re: MSU vs. William Mitchell

Postby togepi » Thu Apr 11, 2013 3:06 am

Berchild05 wrote:Graduating this spring in Minnesota.

Michigan state offered me a full tuition trustee scholarship, 2.5 GPA to retain.

William Mitchell has offered me an 85% tuition scholarship and I'd get to stay in the area.

I have 0 undergrad debt and job prospects out of law school aren't a huge concern. I'm in an army program that requires me to serve active duty afterwards and is most likely going to end up with me practicing JAG for 4 years. Opinions? Thanks

If that's the plan then William Mitchell is the way to go. I'm sure paying 15% of their tuition is better than relocating, etc. Just out of curiosity, how many years do you have to serve in active duty?

Berchild05

Postby Berchild05 » Thu Apr 11, 2013 3:11 am

4 yrs active, 3 yrs reserve. There's also an army program that will pay back up to 75,000 in student loans where for every 25,000 I'd serve 1 extra year of active duty. I just figured in the long run even with JAG experience MSU's rank might be worth it compared to William Mitchell. Thanks for the input though

togepi

Postby togepi » Thu Apr 11, 2013 3:14 am

Berchild05 wrote:4 yrs active, 3 yrs reserve. There's also an army program that will pay back up to 75,000 in student loans where for every 25,000 I'd serve 1 extra year of active duty. I just figured in the long run even with JAG experience MSU's rank might be worth it compared to William Mitchell. Thanks for the input though

Oh wow. I really did consider serving, but decided to teach English abroad instead. Definitely made the financially poorer decision :) I wouldn't worry about the rankings between the two schools since they're both pretty low.

SFSpartan

Postby SFSpartan » Thu Apr 11, 2013 3:17 am

I have a bit of bias here, as I went to MSU for undergrad, but, based on a quick look at William Mitchell, I would go with MSU. With MSU, you're looking at a better scholarship, from a better school. You will also have a broader alumni base, which could be helpful later on in your career.

That being said, if you are dead set on practicing in Minneapolis after you graduate, go to William Mitchell. You'll get to stay in Minneapolis, and network while you are in law school, and as you pointed out, debt is not a huge issue for you.

Hope that helped. Feel free to PM me if you have any questions about EL

ArchieHicox

Postby ArchieHicox » Thu Apr 11, 2013 3:32 am

I'm not sure how much of an issue this is, but it is a factor for some.

Michigan State has a much better lay reputation than William Mitchell.... to the average person Michigan State sounds perfectly respectable, but if you aren't from the region William Mitchell has nothing. Something to consider perhaps.

Do you want to stay at home? I guess that is what it comes down to really. Personally, I would go with Michigan State because of the money and slightly better reputation.

Nova

Postby Nova » Thu Apr 11, 2013 3:44 am

IDK if you guys are just basing this off college basketball and USNWR.... but WM is hands down the second best law school in MN, while MSU places grads worse than Wayne State in MI. As far as a "broader alumni base" goes, MSU has only had a law school since 1995, when it acquired a very shitty law school in Detoit.

Neither school is worth going to if you want to practice outside their state.

Attending a TT out of state is a bad move, ESPECIALLY if you dont think you want to practice in MI long term. There is no prestige involved with attending a TT. No one outside MI cares about MSU except when filling out their bracket.

Nova

Postby Nova » Thu Apr 11, 2013 3:54 am

togepi wrote:
Berchild05 wrote:4 yrs active, 3 yrs reserve. There's also an army program that will pay back up to 75,000 in student loans where for every 25,000 I'd serve 1 extra year of active duty. I just figured in the long run even with JAG experience MSU's rank might be worth it compared to William Mitchell. Thanks for the input though

Oh wow. I really did consider serving, but decided to teach English abroad instead. Definitely made the financially poorer decision :) I wouldn't worry about the rankings between the two schools since they're both pretty low.

+1

USNWR should impact your decision 0%

USNWR is a joke in general, really.

northwood

Postby northwood » Thu Apr 11, 2013 7:09 am

do you have to get approval from you C.O? Do you have to retain a certain gpa to stay in school before being recalled into the army?

UVAIce

Postby UVAIce » Thu Apr 11, 2013 7:54 am

If you want to practice in Minnesota after being in the Army then you should definitely go to William Mitchell. There are a lot of well placed Mitchell grads in the Cities and you don't have to worry about the one issue most Mitchell grads have right now: getting a job right out of school.

jne381
AIPAC Chairman's Council Donor

Postby jne381 » Sat Apr 13, 2013 9:56 am

I would suggest going to the school you like more. The full scholarship and low retention stipulation is a very nice offer from MSU to take into consideration. If you are pretty much assured of getting a JAG position, I don't think where you go is going to make that much of a difference for getting a job after your service is over. You will have 4 years of experience, and you are from Minnesota. If going to MSU keeps you out of the Minnesota market, I would be shocked, but it won't.

In any case, I will make my pitch for MSU. I won't trash talk WM because I had never heard of the school before now, and know nothing about it. Michigan State is a school that continues to take strides improving the school. It is not an accident it keeps going up in the rankings, even with a horrible Michigan economy hurting its employment numbers (that will turn around as the economy improves). Every year, MSU hires impressive faculty that add prestige to the school, like the former dean at Louisville, James Chen. Each year the clinical programs expand and improve. A few years ago there were only four clinical offerings, and now there are are at least eleven. I believe more are on the way. The student pool at MSU continues to improve, with no small help from substantial scholarships, and it is reflected by the MSU's continued success in rankings for the Law Journal and other things.

Then there is the university itself. It is fun to go to a Big Ten university. You have access to student tickets for football and basketball, and there are any other numerous events taking place on campus that you can take part in.

TripTrip

Postby TripTrip » Sat Apr 13, 2013 2:17 pm

Nova wrote:IDK if you guys are just basing this off college basketball and USNWR.... but WM is hands down the second best law school in MN

I respect your views as an MN insider, but I don't think WM is "hands down" the second best. There was this biglaw attorney who argued that WM and UST were peers. He actually said his firm goes deeper into the UST class than WM.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”