top 10% at BC open more doors than top 10% at top regional?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
User avatar
Gunnar Stahl
Posts: 1085
Joined: Sat Oct 06, 2012 3:57 pm

Re: top 10% at BC open more doors than top 10% at top regional?

Postby Gunnar Stahl » Thu Apr 11, 2013 8:45 pm

joeant wrote:Lmao! I actually joked with my cousin that if i dont do well at bc, im dropping out to save money

ftfy

User avatar
kalvano
Posts: 11726
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:24 am

Re: top 10% at BC open more doors than top 10% at top regional?

Postby kalvano » Thu Apr 11, 2013 8:47 pm

joeant wrote:
kalvano wrote:Current law students are a vastly superior source of legal hiring knowledge than some partner who hasn't had to worry about getting a job in 20 years.


So current law students are a better source of job prospects than a hiring-partner? I don't buy that. Besides many of you aren't even current students or just 1ls.


lol

User avatar
hephaestus
Posts: 2385
Joined: Mon Jan 07, 2013 4:21 pm

Re: top 10% at BC open more doors than top 10% at top regional?

Postby hephaestus » Thu Apr 11, 2013 8:50 pm

kalvano wrote:
joeant wrote:
kalvano wrote:Current law students are a vastly superior source of legal hiring knowledge than some partner who hasn't had to worry about getting a job in 20 years.


So current law students are a better source of job prospects than a hiring-partner? I don't buy that. Besides many of you aren't even current students or just 1ls.


lol

User avatar
stillwater
Posts: 3811
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2011 2:59 pm

Re: top 10% at BC open more doors than top 10% at top regional?

Postby stillwater » Thu Apr 11, 2013 8:54 pm

joeant wrote:
TheThriller wrote:I can solve your problem. Go to BC, if not in top 20% by the end of your first year then drop out.


Lmao! I actually joked with my cousin that if i dont do well at bc, im transferring out to the cheapest fl school and save money


this one is rich

User avatar
WokeUpInACar
Posts: 5513
Joined: Tue Nov 01, 2011 11:11 pm

Re: top 10% at BC open more doors than top 10% at top regional?

Postby WokeUpInACar » Thu Apr 11, 2013 9:06 pm

Food for thought from another thread:

CaptainLeela wrote:Hi! In 2011 I was staring down the barrel of going to Temple and/or riding out a bunch of waitlists or reapplying.

Now, I'm trying to decide between Duke & Michigan. Or maybe Northwestern or Penn if I get lucky off of holds/waitlists. Guess how fucking happy I am that I found TLS and people talked to me about waiting a few years?! SO FUCKING HAPPY!

Please feel free to PM me, but seriously, that's an enormous waste, as others have said. I've been in those exact shoes and waiting was 1000% the right decision. I don't have enough good things to say about reapplying.

CaptainLeela wrote:I think for a lot of people it's the idea of deviating off a "path" they've set for themselves is terrifying. And they've told people! Erh mah gerd, what will the masses think?! You see a lot of "I have to go now" on here, but I've never seen a single situation where I thought that was true.

Did it suck telling people I wasn't actually going to law school? Yes. Did people give me a hard time about it...with varying degrees of humor...? Absolutely. Do I enjoy having spent 2 more years of my life as a cocktail waitress/shitlaw paralegal? Of course not.

But at the end of the day, you have to look at cost benefit of your choices. I have 2 mediocre years and some mild social discomfort as a trade off for enormous career gains. Temple was never ever going to take me where I want to go or where I am capable of going, which was unacceptable to me. So I took a deep breath, kept working, reapplied, and now have awesome options. At the end of the day, if you don't have the maturity to see that trade-off, I'm not sure you're ready for law school anyway.

sflyr2016
Posts: 290
Joined: Wed Feb 27, 2013 10:47 am

Re: top 10% at BC open more doors than top 10% at top regional?

Postby sflyr2016 » Thu Apr 11, 2013 9:22 pm

.
Last edited by sflyr2016 on Thu Jun 16, 2016 1:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cinderella
Posts: 71
Joined: Mon Jan 03, 2011 11:04 pm

Re: top 10% at BC open more doors than top 10% at top regional?

Postby Cinderella » Thu Apr 11, 2013 9:54 pm

You say you've considered the downside of going to both schools, but it doesn't sound like you have. Consider the more apt hypothetical that everyone is encouraging you to consider: you finish median. Median at BC in this economy doesn't stand a good chance at biglaw, and as was mentioned earlier, midlaw jobs are slim pickings. So now you're looking at getting some small law job or a government job or something else. Consider how you'll be viewed by those in charge of hiring in these this type of jobs (and all legal jobs, really): you're from Florida, and went to school in Boston. They'll assume, correctly, that you went because of the ranking. You didn't go because you love Boston. They'll also assume, again correctly, that once they hire you, train you, invest in you, give you experience, and give you a line on your resume, you'll jump ship to move home to Florida as soon as you find a suitable job. So they won't hire you over someone who they think will be a better return on their investment, i.e., someone from Boston.

The people in charge of legal hiring in Florida would also question your interest in making a home there. Worse, people who went to school in Florida, networked in Florida, and have worked for these people throughout law school will have a connection that you won't, and will be favored when it's time to hire.

Not being able to find a job isn't a guanteed outcome, granted, but if you read around these boards and other sites, you'll see how common it is.

Now consider the outcome of being median at a school in Florida: no biglaw or midlaw, but at least you won't be viewed with the same suspicion as you would be in Boston. You'll be able to work your 2L and 3L year in Florida, network, and you'll have a better chance of snagging a job.

You certainly have a better chance of getting a biglaw job out of BC, but you'll have to be near the top of your class. If you would drop out of school if you didn't get biglaw or midlaw at any school, then maybe BC is worth it. If you want to be a lawyer, you stand a better chance at a Florida school.

sflyr2016
Posts: 290
Joined: Wed Feb 27, 2013 10:47 am

Re: top 10% at BC open more doors than top 10% at top regional?

Postby sflyr2016 » Thu Apr 11, 2013 10:06 pm

Cinderella wrote:You say you've considered the downside of going to both schools, but it doesn't sound like you have. Consider the more apt hypothetical that everyone is encouraging you to consider: you finish median. Median at BC in this economy doesn't stand a good chance at biglaw, and as was mentioned earlier, midlaw jobs are slim pickings. So now you're looking at getting some small law job or a government job or something else. Consider how you'll be viewed by those in charge of hiring in these this type of jobs (and all legal jobs, really): you're from Florida, and went to school in Boston. They'll assume, correctly, that you went because of the ranking. You didn't go because you love Boston. They'll also assume, again correctly, that once they hire you, train you, invest in you, give you experience, and give you a line on your resume, you'll jump ship to move home to Florida as soon as you find a suitable job. So they won't hire you over someone who they think will be a better return on their investment, i.e., someone from Boston.

The people in charge of legal hiring in Florida would also question your interest in making a home there. Worse, people who went to school in Florida, networked in Florida, and have worked for these people throughout law school will have a connection that you won't, and will be favored when it's time to hire.

Not being able to find a job isn't a guanteed outcome, granted, but if you read around these boards and other sites, you'll see how common it is.

Now consider the outcome of being median at a school in Florida: no biglaw or midlaw, but at least you won't be viewed with the same suspicion as you would be in Boston. You'll be able to work your 2L and 3L year in Florida, network, and you'll have a better chance of snagging a job.

You certainly have a better chance of getting a biglaw job out of BC, but you'll have to be near the top of your class. If you would drop out of school if you didn't get biglaw or midlaw at any school, then maybe BC is worth it. If you want to be a lawyer, you stand a better chance at a Florida school.


Thank you for taking time to give a well thought out response and sharing perspective

BigZuck
Posts: 10884
Joined: Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:53 am

Re: top 10% at BC open more doors than top 10% at top regional?

Postby BigZuck » Fri Apr 12, 2013 9:03 am

To piggyback off what Car said-

Dude, stop wasting time making these threads and arguing with people who are way more knowledgeable/logical/realistic than you and put that effort toward studying for the LSAT.

Last year I was facing lower tier 1 schools at sticker. I retook the LSAT, got a shinier LSAT score (albeit not even one that most TLSers would be proud of), reapplied this year, and just today I withdrew from Northwestern with a 60K scholarship because that wasn't even close to my best option. Think about that for a minute. From UC Hastings at sticker to a T14 with solid money. Literally the only thing different about my application was my LSAT score. And I didn't even hit the 170s!

Retake, go to Duke and laugh all the way to that Florida big law job.

User avatar
cahwc12
Posts: 941
Joined: Mon Jul 02, 2012 4:49 pm

Re: top 10% at BC open more doors than top 10% at top regional?

Postby cahwc12 » Fri Apr 12, 2013 9:37 am

BigZuck wrote:To piggyback off what Car said-

Dude, stop wasting time making these threads and arguing with people who are way more knowledgeable/logical/realistic than you and put that effort toward studying for the LSAT.

Last year I was facing lower tier 1 schools at sticker. I retook the LSAT, got a shinier LSAT score (albeit not even one that most TLSers would be proud of), reapplied this year, and just today I withdrew from Northwestern with a 60K scholarship because that wasn't even close to my best option. Think about that for a minute. From UC Hastings at sticker to a T14 with solid money. Literally the only thing different about my application was my LSAT score. And I didn't even hit the 170s!

Retake, go to Duke and laugh all the way to that Florida big law job.


This is very good advice, but this thread seems like one long, drawn out troll. Rooting for OP to take Miami at sticker.




Return to “Choosing a Law School”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Baidu [Spider] and 1 guest