top 10% at BC open more doors than top 10% at top regional? Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
sflyr2016

Bronze

Re: top 10% at BC open more doors than top 10% at top regional?

Post by sflyr2016 » Thu Apr 11, 2013 5:44 pm

Last edited by sflyr2016 on Thu Jun 16, 2016 1:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sflyr2016

Bronze

Post by sflyr2016 » Thu Apr 11, 2013 5:46 pm

Last edited by sflyr2016 on Thu Jun 16, 2016 1:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

patrickd139

Gold

Post by patrickd139 » Thu Apr 11, 2013 6:17 pm

Please check back in 2.5 years when you've struck out at BC because you're top half of the class and still didn't land mid law in Boston or Florida.

Would love to get your perspective on your not flawed logic then.

Until then, good luck. Sincerely. You're going to need it.

sflyr2016

Bronze

Post by sflyr2016 » Thu Apr 11, 2013 6:32 pm

TheNextAmendment

Bronze

Post by TheNextAmendment » Thu Apr 11, 2013 6:36 pm

joeant wrote:
patrickd139 wrote:Please check back in 2.5 years when you've struck out at BC because you're top half of the class and still didn't land mid law in Boston or Florida.

I hope not. But pretty sure top half at BC lands mid law. Shit, my cousin graduated at around top half from BC and is the managing equity partner at big Fl firm, also a among the valut 150.

I just want to gather more perspective on these options in particular. Didn't mean to inderictly offend you, so not sure what your being spiteful is stemming from. But either way, best of luck to you also
Different era in the field of law. Things are much different now. Much. By the way, he's not being spiteful...just trying to open your eyes. Although he could probably go about it in a more respectful manner.

edit- My 2 cents- go to regional. You want to practice in FL. This is a no brainer.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

patrickd139

Gold

Post by patrickd139 » Thu Apr 11, 2013 6:43 pm

joeant wrote:
patrickd139 wrote:Please check back in 2.5 years when you've struck out at BC because you're top half of the class and still didn't land mid law in Boston or Florida.

I hope not. But pretty sure top half at BC lands mid law. Shit, my cousin graduated at around top half from BC and is the managing equity partner at big Fl firm, also a among the valut 150.

I just want to gather more perspective on these options in particular. Didn't mean to inderictly offend you, so not sure what your being spiteful is stemming from. But either way, best of luck to you also
Lolok.

Also: me being spiteful is stemming from you calling me a jackass.

Kronk

Diamond

Post by Kronk » Thu Apr 11, 2013 6:45 pm

Expecting to be in the bottom 25% in law school isn't the same as someone saying "expect to be in the bottom 25%" of undergrad, bro. Mandatory curves. You can't just work hard and do better than your students. 90% of them are going to work just as hard or harder than you, everyone is going to know the same information going into tests, and you really just CANNOT count on being at the top of your class and go do it. If it happens, cool, but it's a shit thing to consider. I would consider what happens to a median student at each school and go from there.

hephaestus

Gold

Post by hephaestus » Thu Apr 11, 2013 6:45 pm

joeant wrote:

Per ABA Data: 14/219 grads landed midlaw (with a generous definition: 26-100 lawyers). That is less than 10%. Ive said this before but I will say this again:

First, there are not that many mid law firms (generally a dichotomy between big law and small firms).

Second, the ones that do exist do not have SAs or have very small summer classes. For example, in my midwest market, out of the five or six midlaw firms, 2 don't have a program and 3 take between 1-2 each year. The firms replenish themselves primarily off of big law laterals.

Third, midlaw is a fantastic outcome (some would argue better than big law because of significantly increased partnership prospects). Many people at T14s that strike out at OCI will be ahead of you for these jobs.
So no, midlaw is not something that median can get you.

sflyr2016

Bronze

Post by sflyr2016 » Thu Apr 11, 2013 6:46 pm

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Thu Apr 11, 2013 7:36 pm

joeant wrote: I agree. Times where difefrent then. And it wasn't even that long ago. I looked at BC stats in 2008, they were placing close to half their class in nlj250 firms. That's great! Not I am in between 22% hit or miss outside the top 20%, or competing against every single kid like me that just struck out of a t14 at a huge regional school which is directly competing against me for the one or two seats the big firms reserve for their recruiting. This is why I sort of think, that maybe, If I can somehow do well at BC I maybe able to catch those same firms attention just a tad bit better than being the same rank at these school. Especially since those two seats they may reserve for the fl schools will probably got to top1% LR, ALL-WORLD-HUMAN-BEING Award. Of course being fl will help me strengthen my ties, and network, which I guess gives me an uppder hand that leaving won't allow me to do.

I don't think you understand how legal hiring works. If I'm reading the above correctly, which is a big if, given how poorly worded it is.

TheNextAmendment

Bronze

Post by TheNextAmendment » Thu Apr 11, 2013 7:42 pm

kalvano wrote:
joeant wrote: I agree. Times where difefrent then. And it wasn't even that long ago. I looked at BC stats in 2008, they were placing close to half their class in nlj250 firms. That's great! Not I am in between 22% hit or miss outside the top 20%, or competing against every single kid like me that just struck out of a t14 at a huge regional school which is directly competing against me for the one or two seats the big firms reserve for their recruiting. This is why I sort of think, that maybe, If I can somehow do well at BC I maybe able to catch those same firms attention just a tad bit better than being the same rank at these school. Especially since those two seats they may reserve for the fl schools will probably got to top1% LR, ALL-WORLD-HUMAN-BEING Award. Of course being fl will help me strengthen my ties, and network, which I guess gives me an uppder hand that leaving won't allow me to do.

I don't think you understand how legal hiring works. If I'm reading the above correctly, which is a big if, given how poorly worded it is.
Compared to how poorly worded this is? haha.

sflyr2016

Bronze

Post by sflyr2016 » Thu Apr 11, 2013 7:54 pm

Last edited by sflyr2016 on Thu Jun 16, 2016 1:46 pm, edited 5 times in total.

stillwater

Gold

Post by stillwater » Thu Apr 11, 2013 7:57 pm

joeant wrote:
kalvano wrote:I don't think you understand how legal hiring works.
It really is the blind leading the blind on these forums. I was so curious about this situation exactly so I looked up the biggest firm here in Miami, found a partner that went to BC, emailed him regarding my siuation. He just called me to provide his insight.

His advice: Why limit yourself to one market when you can expand into two? Especially when BC does well in more places than just Boston, while each FL school is limited to certain cities in their respective area. Furthermore, he actually said that when they are flooded with applicatns from the same schools, ineveitably they pick from the top of that pile. But when an applicant is from a different school that holds prestige, like a BC, they weigh it individually. Again giving me an advantage on that front. And mostly he said, for better or for worse, smaller markets tend to drool over lawyers from the bigger markets, like a Boston, Chicago or NYC. I wouldn't call Miami a small market, but even he said it's relatively small and that for better or for worse, they love to bring in people from those bigger markets. So the moral was, I give mysely more options, and more flexebility by giong to BC. Not to mention many of his colleagues and old classmates range from biglaw partners, to federal judges, to members of congres, and the secretary of state. Something that I will typically not gain by giong to a state school. Not to say those schools do not have prominent alumni, they certainly do, but that was something he mentioned in being a plus by going to BC.

Two things: He knows more than either of us on these threads do; and this advice would be completely different if I was speaking with someone in a different line of work like the State prosecutor, who I also spoke with because she goes to my gym and she says that for her UF is the best school of my options.

Any ways, I thought I would chime in with his perspective rather than just my thoughts against yours.
you'd be surprised. partners/shitboomers tend to radically underestimate the severity of the hiring market and generally are just outta touch. but you sound like a boomer anyway. shitlaw looms for you bro. just deserts.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

sflyr2016

Bronze

Post by sflyr2016 » Thu Apr 11, 2013 7:59 pm

Gunnar Stahl

Silver

Post by Gunnar Stahl » Thu Apr 11, 2013 8:02 pm

stillwater wrote: you'd be surprised. partners/shitboomers tend to radically underestimate the severity of the hiring market and generally are just outta touch. but you sound like a boomer anyway. shitlaw looms for you bro. just deserts.

WokeUpInACar

Platinum

Post by WokeUpInACar » Thu Apr 11, 2013 8:09 pm

Do you have any idea how much harder it is to be in the top 10% at BC than it would be to drastically improve your LSAT score? Retaking could literally change your life, and you could attend schools with very good rather than mediocre biglaw placement. I am continually baffled at people's shortsightedness.

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Thu Apr 11, 2013 8:11 pm

Current law students are a vastly superior source of legal hiring knowledge than some partner who hasn't had to worry about getting a job in 20 years.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

sflyr2016

Bronze

Post by sflyr2016 » Thu Apr 11, 2013 8:18 pm

Last edited by sflyr2016 on Thu Jun 16, 2016 1:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.

stillwater

Gold

Post by stillwater » Thu Apr 11, 2013 8:20 pm

joeant wrote:
kalvano wrote:Current law students are a vastly superior source of legal hiring knowledge than some partner who hasn't had to worry about getting a job in 20 years.
So current law students are a better source of job prospects than a hiring-partner? I don't buy that. Besides many of you aren't even current students or just 1ls.
yea bro, totally. i actually work at Arby's and just troll these threads when there isn't anymore deli meat to be sliced.

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Thu Apr 11, 2013 8:25 pm

joeant wrote:It really is the blind leading the blind on these forums. I was curious about this situation exactly so I looked up the biggest firm here in Miami, found a partner that went to BC and emailed him regarding my siuation. He just called me to provide his insight.

His advice: Why limit yourself to one market when you can expand into two? Especially when BC does well in more places than just Boston, while each FL school is limited to certain cities in their respective area. Furthermore, he actually said that when they are flooded with applicatns from the same schools, ineveitably they pick from the top of that pile. But when an applicant is from a different school that holds prestige, like a BC, they weigh it individually. Again giving me an advantage on that front. And mostly he said, for better or for worse, smaller markets tend to drool over lawyers from the bigger markets, like a Boston, Chicago or NYC. I wouldn't call Miami a small market, but even he said it's relatively small and that for better or for worse, they love to bring in people from those bigger markets. So the moral was, I give mysely more options, and more flexebility by giong to BC. Not to mention many of his colleagues and old classmates range from biglaw partners, to federal judges, to members of congres, and the secretary of state. Something that I will typically not gain by giong to a state school. Not to say those schools do not have prominent alumni, they certainly do, but that was something he mentioned in being a plus by going to BC.

Two things: He knows more than either of us on these threads do; and this advice would be completely different if I was speaking with someone in a different line of work like the State Attorney, who I also spoke with because she goes to my gym and she says that for her UF is the best school of my options.

Any ways, I thought I would chime in with his perspective rather than just my thoughts against yours.
What is this I can't even.

AllTheLawz

Bronze

Post by AllTheLawz » Thu Apr 11, 2013 8:29 pm

joeant wrote:
kalvano wrote:Current law students are a vastly superior source of legal hiring knowledge than some partner who hasn't had to worry about getting a job in 20 years.
So current law students are a better source of job prospects than a hiring-partner? I don't buy that. Besides many of you aren't even current students or just 1ls.
Current HLS student with a fair number of friends at BU/BC. I can guarantee that top half at BU/BC is no lock for midlaw in Boston. I can also guarantee that "small markets" are not "drooling" over students from "big market schools." I just went through OCI and watched number of people all over the middle 50% strike out or only get a single offer in smaller markets. Assuming by biggest firm in Miami you mean Greenberg Taurig I can personally attest to knowing multiple people from BC/BU/HLS with decent grades and ties that did not get an offer there. I can say from my own personal experience that, though I got offers in smaller markets, getting an offer in NYC was much easier than a smaller market and, in terms of difficulty, on par with getting a job in the notoriously tough DC (at least for the top firms in smaller markets) market.

PM me if you want to hear more details.
Last edited by AllTheLawz on Thu Apr 11, 2013 8:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

WokeUpInACar

Platinum

Post by WokeUpInACar » Thu Apr 11, 2013 8:30 pm

Do you know what would open more doors than anything else you could possibly do? Retaking the LSAT.

sflyr2016

Bronze

Post by sflyr2016 » Thu Apr 11, 2013 8:36 pm

TheThriller

Gold

Post by TheThriller » Thu Apr 11, 2013 8:40 pm

I can solve your problem. Go to BC, if not in top 20% by the end of your first year then drop out.

sflyr2016

Bronze

Post by sflyr2016 » Thu Apr 11, 2013 8:42 pm

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”