Duke vs Michigan vs Northwestern Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Duke v. MIchigan v. Northwestern

Duke
15%
Northwestern
56%
Michigan
28%

Total votes: 39

dolfan17

New

Duke vs Michigan vs Northwestern

Post by dolfan17 » Wed Apr 10, 2013 9:01 pm

Duke- $105 K
Michigan- $120 K
Northwestern- $150 K
Virginia- ??? no scholarship yet
NYU- sticker

I'm not sure what kind of law I want to do. I'm leaning toward PI/Gov but don't want to rule out Biglaw and I would like to do a clerkship. I have ties to South Florida and would like work in the South but I wouldn't mind working in Chicago. I have some savings and my parents may be able to help me a little but most of the COA will be financed through loans.

Total COA
Duke- 124,953
Michigan- $86,634
Northwestern- $76,969

Thanks for the input

sinfiery

Gold

Re: Duke vs Michigan vs Northwestern

Post by sinfiery » Wed Apr 10, 2013 9:06 pm

NU but if UVA matches to have a COA under 100k, I'd go there for your goals

GMGP

New

Post by GMGP » Wed Apr 10, 2013 9:26 pm

Wanna work in the South? You're gonna have a hard time explaining that to employers if you don't do Duke or UVA. Both of these will easily get you to Chicago or NYC as well and have better PI/gov tracks than NU. Appeal and see what happens but it might be worth it at COA of 120k.

hephaestus

Gold

Post by hephaestus » Wed Apr 10, 2013 9:30 pm

GMGP wrote:Wanna work in the South? You're gonna have a hard time explaining that to employers if you don't do Duke or UVA. Both of these will easily get you to Chicago or NYC as well and have better PI/gov tracks than NU. Appeal and see what happens but it might be worth it at COA of 120k.
I dont think this is right at all. With ties to FL, employers really wont care if you went to NW or Duke.

franklyscarlet

Gold

Post by franklyscarlet » Wed Apr 10, 2013 9:31 pm

GMGP wrote:Wanna work in the South? You're gonna have a hard time explaining that to employers if you don't do Duke or UVA. Both of these will easily get you to Chicago or NYC as well and have better PI/gov tracks than NU. Appeal and see what happens but it might be worth it at COA of 120k.
meh. I got an offer in Birmingham from NU. obviously this is anecdotal, but southern firms may take you if you sell yourself right. Just something to consider.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

GMGP

New

Post by GMGP » Wed Apr 10, 2013 9:35 pm

ImNoScar wrote:
I dont think this is right at all. With ties to FL, employers really wont care if you went to NW or Duke.
Depends what ties. Everyone has a grandmother or even parents living in South Florida, so unless you grew up there might be a little harder of a sell if you go to northern schools. Especially if your grades are below median they might think you are running away to a secondary market cause you couldn't get a NY job.

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Wed Apr 10, 2013 9:39 pm

sinfiery wrote:NU but if UVA matches to have a COA under 100k, I'd go there for your goals
TITCR

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Wed Apr 10, 2013 9:40 pm

I GOT A FULL RIDE SCHOLARSHIP. Dickslangs out of room. Gets offer AND partners number.

dabbadon8

Silver

Post by dabbadon8 » Wed Apr 10, 2013 9:45 pm

Duke might help in the south but I wouldn't pay that much for the extra help. Working in the market 1l summer will help a lot for sofla, but its a tough nut to crack regardless. I'm a duke student and am happy with it, but unless you really prefer duke I'd follow the money. Fwiw the price difference may be less since you can live well below duke's Col estimate.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

dissonance1848

Silver

Post by dissonance1848 » Wed Apr 10, 2013 9:56 pm

Unless you get a match from Duke or UVA,

then NU, hands down, no contest.

Aberzombie1892

Gold

Post by Aberzombie1892 » Wed Apr 10, 2013 10:20 pm

NU is the clear choice here.

untar614

Silver

Post by untar614 » Wed Apr 10, 2013 10:57 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
sinfiery wrote:NU but if UVA matches to have a COA under 100k, I'd go there for your goals
TITCR

patrickd139

Gold

Post by patrickd139 » Wed Apr 10, 2013 11:00 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
TITCR

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

beachbum

Gold

Post by beachbum » Wed Apr 10, 2013 11:15 pm

GMGP wrote:
ImNoScar wrote:
Depends what ties. Everyone has a grandmother or even parents living in South Florida, so unless you grew up there might be a little harder of a sell if you go to northern schools. Especially if your grades are below median they might think you are running away to a secondary market cause you couldn't get a NY job.
This argument is awful. If your ties are weak/nonexistent, then whether you're shooting for the south out of Duke or out of NW is irrelevant. And if your ties are solid, then it similarly won't matter - provided you can articulate why you chose NW/Michigan. In other words, attending Duke for geographic considerations would be a really bad idea here.

framboozer

Bronze

Post by framboozer » Thu Apr 11, 2013 9:18 am

Reading your choices and goals, I feel compelled to ask, OP, are you me? That being said, in your situation, Northwestern is the way to go.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “Choosing a Law School”