(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
HBBJohnStamos

Re: Bored? How about another poll?

Postby HBBJohnStamos » Sat May 04, 2013 3:13 pm

LJL @ anyone who thinks NYU is worth 60K more because of location.

jbagelboy

Postby jbagelboy » Sat May 04, 2013 4:55 pm

rickgrimes69 wrote:
Nelson wrote:
GMGP wrote:Honestly, Duke will get you to NYC biglaw just as well as NYU.

Come on.

Duke slightly beat NYU in Biglaw + Fed Clerkship placement last year, and NYC is Duke's biggest target market. There is also a sizable contingent of Duke grads who have no interest in NYC, so a lot of competition self-selects out from the start.

Financially, Duke is the obvious answer here. Chicago isn't worth $50k more and NYU definitely isn't worth $70k more.

That said, I can see OP choosing NYU for purely personal factors, and that would be legitimate. $170k isn't outrageous for NYU.

I know the thread is over since OP went with the highest ranked school anyway, but i had to address the above:
You know this is a ridiculous statement. NYU has a sizeable contigent of students who have zero interest in firm work OR clerkships and are expressly intending to do PI. Its really short sighted to claim Duke placement in NYC rivals NYUs because of a fabricated biglaw/clerkship metric with a school that supports and encourages record public interest work. Furthmore, many of Dukes contacts are in DC, so its another flaw to imagine the same percentage of duke students have opportunities in New York. This is a prime example of where the numbers will fail you catastrophically.. Speak to some NYc attorneys if you want to find out the relative appeal of an NYU/CLS degree and a Duke one.

rickgrimes69

Postby rickgrimes69 » Sat May 04, 2013 5:21 pm

jbagelboy wrote:
rickgrimes69 wrote:
Nelson wrote:
GMGP wrote:Honestly, Duke will get you to NYC biglaw just as well as NYU.

Come on.

Duke slightly beat NYU in Biglaw + Fed Clerkship placement last year, and NYC is Duke's biggest target market. There is also a sizable contingent of Duke grads who have no interest in NYC, so a lot of competition self-selects out from the start.

Financially, Duke is the obvious answer here. Chicago isn't worth $50k more and NYU definitely isn't worth $70k more.

That said, I can see OP choosing NYU for purely personal factors, and that would be legitimate. $170k isn't outrageous for NYU.

I know the thread is over since OP went with the highest ranked school anyway, but i had to address the above:
You know this is a ridiculous statement. NYU has a sizeable contigent of students who have zero interest in firm work OR clerkships and are expressly intending to do PI. Its really short sighted to claim Duke placement in NYC rivals NYUs because of a fabricated biglaw/clerkship metric with a school that supports and encourages record public interest work. Furthmore, many of Dukes contacts are in DC, so its another flaw to imagine the same percentage of duke students have opportunities in New York. This is a prime example of where the numbers will fail you catastrophically.. Speak to some NYc attorneys if you want to find out the relative appeal of an NYU/CLS degree and a Duke one.

You're super wrong about all of this. First of all, OP stated they want Biglaw, so NYU's allegedly mythical P.I. placement is irrelevant in the context of this thread, unless you're prepared to argue that 100% of NYU's P.I. kids could have gotten Biglaw if they so chose. Second, what's "fabricated" about Duke's placement numbers? Over the past three years, Duke has beaten or been within 1-2% of NYU's Big Firm + Clerkship placement. Check the statistics. NYC is Duke's biggest target market, and the fact that Duke kids travel nationally means less competition for jobs at NYC firms. Just because Duke places a lot of kids into DC doesn't mean they couldn't get NYC, especially when you consider that DC is a much more difficult market to crack. The only real benefit NYU has over Duke for NYC placement is their extensive (and concentrated) alumni network, but since that apparently doesn't translate into any significant advantage for Big Firms or Clerkships, it's a marginal consideration for the OP at best.

Edit: I've worked in a NYC Biglaw firm and spoken to numerous attorneys. Most of them don't see any substantial difference between NYU and Duke. They are peer schools to everyone who didn't attend one or the other.
Last edited by rickgrimes69 on Sat May 04, 2013 5:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby 09042014 » Sat May 04, 2013 5:26 pm

DUKE KIDS getting rejected at Cadwalder NYC then settling for Arnold Porter, DC IN DROVES

GertrudeR

Postby GertrudeR » Sat May 04, 2013 6:49 pm

HBBJohnStamos wrote:LJL @ anyone who thinks NYU is worth 60K more because of location.

jbagelboy wrote:
I know the thread is over since OP went with the highest ranked school anyway,

...really...?

HBBJohnStamos

Postby HBBJohnStamos » Sat May 04, 2013 7:31 pm

GertrudeR wrote:
HBBJohnStamos wrote:LJL @ anyone who thinks NYU is worth 60K more because of location.

jbagelboy wrote:

...really...?

Is being forced to work a job that you might hate for one or two more years worth it just to live in NY during law school?

dixiecupdrinking

Postby dixiecupdrinking » Sun May 05, 2013 11:27 am

HBBJohnStamos wrote:
GertrudeR wrote:

jbagelboy wrote:

...really...?

Is being forced to work a job that you might hate for one or two more years worth it just to live in NY during law school?

... yeah, it might be? Is "being forced" to move away from your family, friends, and the rest of your life to live somewhere you might hate for three years worth it just to have to pay off debt for one or two fewer years?

HBBJohnStamos

Postby HBBJohnStamos » Sun May 05, 2013 3:31 pm

Uh, yeah dude. It helps not to be a huge pussy. Realizing that your goals might change down the line will also make you appreciate the increased flexibility of a cheaper and equally preftigious degree.

ETA: Also, Durham seems like a chill, morally sound town.

mephistopheles

Postby mephistopheles » Sun May 05, 2013 5:03 pm

HBBJohnStamos wrote:It helps not to be a huge pussy.

sinfiery

Postby sinfiery » Sun May 05, 2013 6:18 pm

rickgrimes69 wrote:You're super wrong about all of this. First of all, OP stated they want Biglaw, so NYU's allegedly mythical P.I. placement is irrelevant in the context of this thread, unless you're prepared to argue that 100% of NYU's P.I. kids could have gotten Biglaw if they so chose. Second, what's "fabricated" about Duke's placement numbers? Over the past three years, Duke has beaten or been within 1-2% of NYU's Big Firm + Clerkship placement. Check the statistics. NYC is Duke's biggest target market, and the fact that Duke kids travel nationally means less competition for jobs at NYC firms. Just because Duke places a lot of kids into DC doesn't mean they couldn't get NYC, especially when you consider that DC is a much more difficult market to crack. The only real benefit NYU has over Duke for NYC placement is their extensive (and concentrated) alumni network, but since that apparently doesn't translate into any significant advantage for Big Firms or Clerkships, it's a marginal consideration for the OP at best.

Edit: I've worked in a NYC Biglaw firm and spoken to numerous attorneys. Most of them don't see any substantial difference between NYU and Duke. They are peer schools to everyone who didn't attend one or the other.

lol

dixiecupdrinking

Postby dixiecupdrinking » Sun May 05, 2013 6:30 pm

HBBJohnStamos wrote:Uh, yeah dude. It helps not to be a huge pussy. Realizing that your goals might change down the line will also make you appreciate the increased flexibility of a cheaper and equally preftigious degree.

ETA: Also, Durham seems like a chill, morally sound town.

Bro there are a whole lot of people out there who would really prefer not to move to fucking Durham, NC, especially if you are from NYC and want to return to NYC. It helps not to be a huge pussy to make something other than the most risk-averse decision, though.

jbagelboy

Postby jbagelboy » Sun May 05, 2013 6:32 pm

GertrudeR wrote:

jbagelboy wrote:

...really...?

Sorry I realize that came off as snide. No offense intended. I always lol when OPs pick the school not on the poll that happens to be higher ranked than all of them. That being said, in your specific case it actually is a legit call (although no one could argue morningside heights is "nicer" than the village.. it is cheaper tho). I would go to CLS too -- in fact, I am going to CLS! TLS aside, Columbia seems to be the secret preference of so many harvard rejects. I met all these kids at chicago asw who were like "oh yea im super excited about chicago vs uva/duke/nyu and then a week later when derubeis finally got their CLS grant through they were depositing at cls and forgetting all about hyde park.

Congrats on your decision and see you in the fall!

Edit: before i get jumped on by my chicago 2016 friends ill say that i really liked the school and its equal in my book, the above is just a common observation

jbagelboy

Postby jbagelboy » Sun May 05, 2013 6:45 pm

rickgrimes69 wrote:
jbagelboy wrote:
rickgrimes69 wrote:

You're super wrong about all of this. First of all, OP stated they want Biglaw, so NYU's allegedly mythical P.I. placement is irrelevant in the context of this thread, unless you're prepared to argue that 100% of NYU's P.I. kids could have gotten Biglaw if they so chose. Second, what's "fabricated" about Duke's placement numbers? Over the past three years, Duke has beaten or been within 1-2% of NYU's Big Firm + Clerkship placement. Check the statistics. NYC is Duke's biggest target market, and the fact that Duke kids travel nationally means less competition for jobs at NYC firms. Just because Duke places a lot of kids into DC doesn't mean they couldn't get NYC, especially when you consider that DC is a much more difficult market to crack. The only real benefit NYU has over Duke for NYC placement is their extensive (and concentrated) alumni network, but since that apparently doesn't translate into any significant advantage for Big Firms or Clerkships, it's a marginal consideration for the OP.

So you think all the RTK and AnBryce scholars, most of whom got into one of hys, couldnt have gotten a firm job? You dont seem to understand how the PI connections work at NYU. Many of the top kids dont go for biglaw/A3, so yea I would say they definitely could work midtown biglaw. This implies NYC firms dig deeper by a non negligible margin into NYUs class than Duke's, to say nothing of the superior quality/prestige of NYUs feeder firms. but good luck with your approach too!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”