(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
GertrudeR

Postby GertrudeR » Wed Apr 10, 2013 8:17 pm

Last edited by GertrudeR on Sat Mar 08, 2014 10:44 am, edited 3 times in total.

Doorkeeper

Re: Bored? How about another poll?

Postby Doorkeeper » Wed Apr 10, 2013 8:24 pm

Are family, friends, your SO, and a +9-10% chance of biglaw worth $75k to you?

Honestly, in your case, and considering that you want NYC biglaw anyway...why not?

dixiecupdrinking

Postby dixiecupdrinking » Wed Apr 10, 2013 8:51 pm

The UChi trolling on TLS has become completely insufferable. Chicago currently has 62% of the poll despite being the option that makes the least sense here.

fluffythepenguin

Postby fluffythepenguin » Wed Apr 10, 2013 8:58 pm

Sure, it sounds like it's worth the money to stay. Still try and negotiate more from NYU though.

sinfiery

Postby sinfiery » Wed Apr 10, 2013 9:10 pm

I basically had a similar situation (UVA +120k vs NYU 75k(90k)) and decided upon NYU solely because I would be happier there for 3 years.

Duke (UVA) is clearly the better financial decision but it's close enough that it doesn't have to be the deciding factor.

hephaestus

Postby hephaestus » Wed Apr 10, 2013 9:20 pm

NYU, especially since your family is offering no interest loans.

TaipeiMort

Postby TaipeiMort » Wed Apr 10, 2013 9:22 pm

UChicago is better if your ties are stronger. NYU is better if your ties are weaker

jetsfan1

Postby jetsfan1 » Wed Apr 10, 2013 9:26 pm

The UChi trolling on TLS has become completely insufferable. Chicago currently has 62% of the poll despite being the option that makes the least sense here.

Eh, don't know if its trolling so much as people not reading the OP and just looking at the poll. If you just look at the numbers, Chicago is the right choice. Once you read the OP, its clear its a distant third, but people who just open the thread, look at the numbers, and then vote dont see that.

toothbrush

Postby toothbrush » Wed Apr 10, 2013 9:31 pm

jetsfan1 wrote:

Eh, don't know if its trolling so much as people not reading the OP and just looking at the poll. If you just look at the numbers, Chicago is the right choice. Once you read the OP, its clear its a distant third, but people who just open the thread, look at the numbers, and then vote dont see that.

Worst OP ever who makes his poll say his scholly money as opposed to COA.

edit that shit if you don't want a skewed poll.

GMGP

Postby GMGP » Wed Apr 10, 2013 9:33 pm

Honestly, Duke will get you to NYC biglaw just as well as NYU. And Durham is not a sleepy southern town, 1.2 million people in the Triangle area and the most Ph.ds per capita of anywhere in the U.S.. If you really like NYC go for it, but my pet peeve is people thinking Durham is a redneck backwater in the South (don't worry I didn't get that impression from you) when it is a beautiful cultural town in the South.

Nelson

Postby Nelson » Wed Apr 10, 2013 9:34 pm

GMGP wrote:Honestly, Duke will get you to NYC biglaw just as well as NYU.

Come on.

TaipeiMort

Postby TaipeiMort » Wed Apr 10, 2013 10:16 pm

Nelson wrote:

Come on.

Fantasy. NYU places similarly to Harvard in New York.

rickgrimes69

Postby rickgrimes69 » Thu Apr 11, 2013 12:35 am

Nelson wrote:

Come on.

Duke slightly beat NYU in Biglaw + Fed Clerkship placement last year, and NYC is Duke's biggest target market. There is also a sizable contingent of Duke grads who have no interest in NYC, so a lot of competition self-selects out from the start.

Financially, Duke is the obvious answer here. Chicago isn't worth $50k more and NYU definitely isn't worth $70k more.

That said, I can see OP choosing NYU for purely personal factors, and that would be legitimate. $170k isn't outrageous for NYU.

gaud

Postby gaud » Thu Apr 11, 2013 12:36 am

ImNoScar wrote:NYU, especially since your family is offering no interest loans.

Nelson

Postby Nelson » Thu Apr 11, 2013 12:43 am

rickgrimes69 wrote:
Nelson wrote:

Come on.

Duke slightly beat NYU in Biglaw + Fed Clerkship placement last year, and NYC is Duke's biggest target market. There is also a sizable contingent of Duke grads who have no interest in NYC, so a lot of competition self-selects out from the start.

Financially, Duke is the obvious answer here. Chicago isn't worth $50k more and NYU definitely isn't worth $70k more.

That said, I can see OP choosing NYU for purely personal factors, and that would be legitimate. $170k isn't outrageous for NYU.

Those percentages do not reflect placement power in the way you are implying. NYU has hundreds more students than Duke and places many, many more people at top firms than Duke.

criminaltheory

Postby criminaltheory » Thu Apr 11, 2013 7:46 am

Durham will be intolerable compared to NYC.

NYstate

Postby NYstate » Thu Apr 11, 2013 8:05 am

Why is this even a question? As long as your family members give you good repayment terms, you are in an amazing spot.

Stay in New York with your SO and family. Dont uproot your life

NoodleyOne

Postby NoodleyOne » Thu Apr 11, 2013 8:24 am

NYU by a mile.

GMGP

Postby GMGP » Thu Apr 11, 2013 8:58 am

criminaltheory wrote:Durham will be intolerable compared to NYC.

Ever lived in Durham or even been there? I've lived in both, know people who've lived in both, Durham is no NYC but it is pretty awesome in it's own way (I honestly can't say where I've enjoyed more). If you plan on going back to NYC a 3 year break from there might not be the worst thing in the world

rickgrimes69

Postby rickgrimes69 » Thu Apr 11, 2013 9:37 am

Nelson wrote:
rickgrimes69 wrote:
Nelson wrote:

Come on.

Those percentages do not reflect placement power in the way you are implying. NYU has hundreds more students than Duke and places many, many more people at top firms than Duke.

Not sure why the absolute number of students is a more useful statistic than relative chances of success. I'd argue that Duke's small class size is a huge advantage in this market, especially when you consider that, as I said, a lot of Duke doesn't want NYC in the first place. NYU might have a minor advantage in that their large class places a majority of grads into NYC firms, giving them a more extensive alumni network in the City, but that advantage is marginal and objectively not worth $70k.

GertrudeR

Postby GertrudeR » Fri May 03, 2013 8:42 pm

Just to not be one of those assholes who makes a what should I do thread and then bounces:
I got CLS to match NYU and liked the feel of CLS more so I'll be in Morningside next year.

For future TLSers in a similar position:
This was a crazy hard decision and for some people 75k may not be worth being near family or not having to do long distance for three years or staying in the city that you love, but for me it was and I think that bonus in QOL for three years can be worth the extra debt....but I'll let ya'll know how that plays out in three years.

Postby 09042014 » Fri May 03, 2013 9:22 pm

Duke is the answer here. I agree Chicago is probably the third choice.

jbagelboy

Postby jbagelboy » Fri May 03, 2013 9:34 pm

NoodleyOne wrote:NYU by a mile.

+1 given your goals and preferences

Richie Tenenbaum

Postby Richie Tenenbaum » Fri May 03, 2013 9:52 pm

GertrudeR wrote:Just to not be one of those assholes who makes a what should I do thread and then bounces:
I got CLS to match NYU and liked the feel of CLS more so I'll be in Morningside next year.

This was a crazy hard decision and for some people 75k may not be worth being near family or not having to do long distance for three years or staying in the city that you love, but for me it was and I think that bonus in QOL for three years can be worth the extra debt....but I'll let ya'll know how that plays out in three years.

Congrats on CLS matching and the final decision! Always interesting to see how these threads get resolved. Also, it'll be interesting to see how many people continue add votes and/or their thoughts without reading your latest post.

Micdiddy

Postby Micdiddy » Fri May 03, 2013 11:35 pm

Desert Fox wrote:Duke is the answer here. I agree Chicago is probably the third choice.

:lol:

GertrudeR wrote:Just to not be one of those assholes who makes a what should I do thread and then bounces:

Congrats!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”