ND Law or BU Law?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Notre Dame vs Boston University

Notre Dame Law
54%
Boston University Law
46%

Total votes: 13

ndorbu

ND Law or BU Law?

Postby ndorbu » Wed Apr 10, 2013 10:55 am

AS the title suggests, I am choosing between these two schools. I am completely divided between them. Might literally just flip a coin.
Difference between the two schools: BU gave me a pretty good scholarship, and also it is in a city. However, Notre Dame being in South Bend might mean less distractions, which is important for first year grades. Also, I might want to work in Florida ten years down the road (as if I can plan for that) and maybe having Notre Dame name will help a bit more. Also, I am not used to living in a city, riding a metro, etc. Luckily, I am not taking out school loans for either school.
So what are your thoughts? My goal is not Big Law necessarily. I would love to perhaps do immigration law or work in a Boutique firm (sizable one perhaps but not that big).
Thank you for your comments.

AlanShore

Re: ND Law or BU Law?

Postby AlanShore » Wed Apr 10, 2013 11:01 am

ndorbu wrote:AS the title suggests, I am choosing between these two schools. I am completely divided between them. Might literally just flip a coin.
Difference between the two schools: BU gave me a pretty good scholarship, and also it is in a city. However, Notre Dame being in South Bend might mean less distractions, which is important for first year grades. Also, I might want to work in Florida ten years down the road (as if I can plan for that) and maybe having Notre Dame name will help a bit more. Also, I am not used to living in a city, riding a metro, etc. Luckily, I am not taking out school loans for either school.
So what are your thoughts? My goal is not Big Law necessarily. I would love to perhaps do immigration law or work in a Boutique firm (sizable one perhaps but not that big).
Thank you for your comments.

ND won't really help in Florida. Do you have ties to Florida? If so, that's the most important thing. If you really want Florida, you should go to school in Florida.

I don't think choosing a school because there are less distractions is a great reason. I can understand if you choose ND because you don't want to be in a big city but there are going to be distractions anywhere. Did ND offer you any $? The schools are similar and it all comes down to where you'd want to work-- midwest or Boston/possibly NY.... that's the major difference (and $$ if BU offered you a lot of money)

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Wed Apr 10, 2013 11:37 am

If limiting your options to these two law schools, then caculate the total COA for each school before deciding.

BigZuck

Postby BigZuck » Wed Apr 10, 2013 11:41 am

Retake and either get a big scholarship to one of these schools or go to a school worthy of your parents' massive financial investment.

Don't see how either school is going to get you a job in Florida. What about Vandy or Duke, maybe you're better off going to one of those.

ndorbu

Postby ndorbu » Wed Apr 10, 2013 11:57 am

Notre Dame has not offered me a scholarship, but BU gave me a really good one. For me, I am up in the air even about where to live. Thats the main problem. It is important to note I have family in Northeast. No acceptances into Duke or Vandy.
I also have ties to Florida. I also applied to FSU and got in. Not UF because right before I did, I got into ND. Maybe a mistake on my part. But wouldn't be against leaving Florida. Change could be good.

empyreanrrv

Postby empyreanrrv » Wed Apr 10, 2013 12:00 pm

CanadianWolf wrote:If limiting your options to these two law schools, then caculate the total COA for each school before deciding.

This. What is your CoA for BU or ND? How much debt would you graduate with?

cinephile

Postby cinephile » Wed Apr 10, 2013 12:38 pm

empyreanrrv wrote:
CanadianWolf wrote:If limiting your options to these two law schools, then caculate the total COA for each school before deciding.

This. What is your CoA for BU or ND? How much debt would you graduate with?

It looks like he or she isn't taking out loans at all - so no debt. Maybe just using family money or savings. Which could be a waste of good money, but won't wreck your future.

ndorbu

Postby ndorbu » Wed Apr 10, 2013 1:42 pm

Cinephile is correct. I would not be taking out any loans. Still, the amount of money for sticker at ND is a lot compared to what id be paying for BU.

BigZuck

Postby BigZuck » Wed Apr 10, 2013 1:50 pm

If YOU are paying for this venture then don't go to either unless YOU are independently wealthy.

empyreanrrv

Postby empyreanrrv » Wed Apr 10, 2013 1:52 pm

If you won't have any debt from either and are fine spending tons of money for these schools, why not just visit them and see which you like more?

ndirish2010

Postby ndirish2010 » Wed Apr 10, 2013 2:31 pm

Sticker at ND is never a good idea.

cinephile

Postby cinephile » Wed Apr 10, 2013 2:47 pm

I'm not a big fan of BU, and you can PM me for details which I may or may not have time to give as its finals season here, but if these were your only options I'd still pick BU because spending less $ is better than spending more. But maybe you can ask your parents to make up the difference in paying for a nice bar trip or something for you.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”