Hofstra v. UC Hastings - Help!

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
missitaliansoda

Hofstra v. UC Hastings - Help!

Postby missitaliansoda » Tue Apr 09, 2013 8:11 pm

I am currently trying to decide whether to accept a seat at Hofstra Law on Long Island or UC Hastings in San Francisco. I have received a full tuition scholarship from Hofstra; however, I'm not sure if its a good school. I'm from the West coast, and I don't know what their reputation is in New York and the surrounding area, which is probably where I would look for my first job.
UC Hastings didn't offer me as much money, but it looks like with their grant $ and federal loans I could cover my tuition. My understanding is that UC Hastings is a better school than Hofstra; however, I don't have a ton of money and the full ride is attractive. I would appreciate hearing from anyone who had experiences at either of these schools, and anyone who knew about job prospects after graduation in these areas.

Clearly

Re: Hofstra v. UC Hastings - Help!

Postby Clearly » Tue Apr 09, 2013 8:17 pm

Hofstra is absolutely terrible. What are the stips on the scholly?

hephaestus

Postby hephaestus » Tue Apr 09, 2013 8:19 pm

How much money at Hastings? What is the COA after cost of living and interest?

superpippo

Postby superpippo » Tue Apr 09, 2013 8:24 pm

Around 50% of Hastings had full time legal employment 9 months after graduation. This number should go up at least somewhat significantly because the class size has been reduced over 100 students. Around 20% of students at Hastings gained employment through OCI. This may or may not go up with the smaller class size. The career services director says OCI employment stats usually fluctuate between 20-30%. Essentially, this means employment is extremely competitive at Hastings, however if you end up being competitive, favorable employment outcomes are possible.

This is the paradox of attending a T1 in a competitive market location. Relatively good big law/OCI stats (for its rank), but overall bleak tough prospects.

reasonable_man

Postby reasonable_man » Tue Apr 09, 2013 8:30 pm

As an attorney practicing in the NY area that did not attend a "top" law school, I can tell you that Hofstra is possibly the longest running joke in the New York legal community. Its objectively better than Pace and Touro (also dog-shit law schools), yet somehow, Hofstra remains a better punch line than either of those other shit-piles. The students are sub-par. The attorneys that graduate are mediocre. The bar pass rate fluctuates between "average" and absolutely pitiful to the one of the worst in New York State (depending on the year in question). This is all before you even get to the guido jokes, which trust me, if you are attending Hofstra, those jokes will become a way of life for you... I'll close this post by re-posting an old post of mine that followed the name change of Hofstra law school...

And its not even going to be "The Situation School of Law."

Hofstra Law will now be the Maurice A. Deane School of Law at Hofstra University, or as I intend to call it, MAD LAW. Congratulations Hofstra. By renaming the LS after a person who did not even practice law and has made no significant contribution to the legal community you have once again remind us why no one takes your school seriously in or out of the NY area. Well done, as always. Touro may be a shit-pile, but at least it's namesake was a heavy-hitter in the legal community.

See: http://www.law.com/jsp/nlj/PubArticleNL ... hbxlogin=1

I can just see it now...

Paulie: Eh Tony, whatchodoin afta you graduate from Wagna (Wagner College for those of you that don't speak LI Guido)?
Tony: I fuckin killed my LSAT bro.. 158.. Goin to Mad Law in the fall.. I'll be slamin dime pieces at McHeebs after i get my study on (after GTL).
Paulie: Mad Law?
Tony: It used to be Hofstra Law, but the school was so tight they had to rename that shit... Average graduate makes like 2 million a year or some shit like that, so they had to change the name so people would know whats up..
Paulie: Oh word...
Tony: For realz son..

missitaliansoda

Postby missitaliansoda » Tue Apr 09, 2013 11:38 pm

ImNoScar wrote:How much money at Hastings? What is the COA after cost of living and interest?

Out of state tuition (which is what I'll be first year) is going to be a little over $52,000. I'm not sure what the cost of living is in San Fran, but I know its incredibly high. I would estimate COA to be probably upwards of $70,000

missitaliansoda

Postby missitaliansoda » Tue Apr 09, 2013 11:41 pm

Clearlynotstefan wrote:Hofstra is absolutely terrible. What are the stips on the scholly?

I believe you have to remain in the top 40% of the class to retain 100% of the scholarship

Clearly

Postby Clearly » Wed Apr 10, 2013 12:43 am

What are your stats? That stip is horrendous. Do not under any circumstances accept that offer.

BigZuck

Postby BigZuck » Wed Apr 10, 2013 8:57 am

Neither. Don't go to law school if these are your choices.

northwood

Postby northwood » Wed Apr 10, 2013 9:03 am

reasonable_man wrote:As an attorney practicing in the NY area that did not attend a "top" law school, I can tell you that Hofstra is possibly the longest running joke in the New York legal community. Its objectively better than Pace and Touro (also dog-shit law schools), yet somehow, Hofstra remains a better punch line than either of those other shit-piles. The students are sub-par. The attorneys that graduate are mediocre. The bar pass rate fluctuates between "average" and absolutely pitiful to the one of the worst in New York State (depending on the year in question). This is all before you even get to the guido jokes, which trust me, if you are attending Hofstra, those jokes will become a way of life for you... I'll close this post by re-posting an old post of mine that followed the name change of Hofstra law school...

Hofstra Law will now be the Maurice A. Deane School of Law at Hofstra University, or as I intend to call it, MAD LAW. Congratulations Hofstra. By renaming the LS after a person who did not even practice law and has made no significant contribution to the legal community you have once again remind us why no one takes your school seriously in or out of the NY area. Well done, as always. Touro may be a shit-pile, but at least it's namesake was a heavy-hitter in the legal community.

I can just see it now...

Paulie: Eh Tony, whatchodoin afta you graduate from Wagna (Wagner College for those of you that don't speak LI Guido)?
Tony: I fuckin killed my LSAT bro.. 158.. Goin to Mad Law in the fall.. I'll be slamin dime pieces at McHeebs after i get my study on (after GTL).
Tony: It used to be Hofstra Law, but the school was so tight they had to rename that shit... Average graduate makes like 2 million a year or some shit like that, so they had to change the name so people would know whats up..

BigZuck

Postby BigZuck » Wed Apr 10, 2013 9:14 am

northwood wrote:
reasonable_man wrote:As an attorney practicing in the NY area that did not attend a "top" law school, I can tell you that Hofstra is possibly the longest running joke in the New York legal community. Its objectively better than Pace and Touro (also dog-shit law schools), yet somehow, Hofstra remains a better punch line than either of those other shit-piles. The students are sub-par. The attorneys that graduate are mediocre. The bar pass rate fluctuates between "average" and absolutely pitiful to the one of the worst in New York State (depending on the year in question). This is all before you even get to the guido jokes, which trust me, if you are attending Hofstra, those jokes will become a way of life for you... I'll close this post by re-posting an old post of mine that followed the name change of Hofstra law school...

I can just see it now...

The joke so nice he had to tell it twice.

missitaliansoda

Postby missitaliansoda » Wed Apr 10, 2013 4:40 pm

Clearlynotstefan wrote:What are your stats? That stip is horrendous. Do not under any circumstances accept that offer.

I graduated with a 3.5 and got a 162 on the LSAT; I've only taken it once. I would rather go to UC Hastings, but I don't have any financial backing and I feel ridiculous turning down a full ride; but at the same time, it sounds like Hofstra doesn't have a good reputation

reasonable_man

Postby reasonable_man » Wed Apr 10, 2013 4:44 pm

BigZuck wrote:
northwood wrote:

I can just see it now...

The joke so nice he had to tell it twice.

To be honest I think I've used this at least 3 or 4 times now. Its sort of my standard response to anything Hofstra related because it sort of captures all of the problems with attending HLS.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”