Int. Law... Don't worry, I know why and what I want to do! Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
Zambo

New

Re: Int. Law... Don't worry, I know why and what I want to do!

Post by Zambo » Wed Apr 10, 2013 2:05 am

rad lulz wrote:
Zambo wrote:
Geist13 wrote:What in the world does getting a law degree have to do with increasing access to water? How does a law degree enable you to do this? Why can't you do this without a law degree?
Short answer (cause I don't feel like writing out the long one ha) you probably can do this without a JD. My logic was that having a JD would simply increase one's efficiency or impact - which I still believe to be true. However, as people have posted thus far, the (small) benefits gained from going to law school do not outweigh the debt and waste of three years.
I don't really see how reading a bunch of crappy 1800s tort cases or learning what passes for "business law" in law school is gonna increase your impact or efficiency.

Law school doesn't even really do a good job of preparing you to be a lawyer, much less anything else.
haha Good points. I'd always heard law school doesn't teach you how to be a lawyer, it teaches you how to think like one. Thus the thought that receiving further advanced training in deductive logic and reasoning could only help. I definitely had been thinking though "man those business law classes are going to suck."

spleenworship

Gold

Re: Int. Law... Don't worry, I know why and what I want to do!

Post by spleenworship » Wed Apr 10, 2013 2:37 am

Zambo wrote:
rad lulz wrote:
Zambo wrote:
Geist13 wrote:What in the world does getting a law degree have to do with increasing access to water? How does a law degree enable you to do this? Why can't you do this without a law degree?
Short answer (cause I don't feel like writing out the long one ha) you probably can do this without a JD. My logic was that having a JD would simply increase one's efficiency or impact - which I still believe to be true. However, as people have posted thus far, the (small) benefits gained from going to law school do not outweigh the debt and waste of three years.
I don't really see how reading a bunch of crappy 1800s tort cases or learning what passes for "business law" in law school is gonna increase your impact or efficiency.

Law school doesn't even really do a good job of preparing you to be a lawyer, much less anything else.
haha Good points. I'd always heard law school doesn't teach you how to be a lawyer, it teaches you how to think like one. Thus the thought that receiving further advanced training in deductive logic and reasoning could only help. I definitely had been thinking though "man those business law classes are going to suck."
It's weird...

But I'm met lots of really smart people who had outstanding deductive reasoning skills, and most of them weren't lawyers.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”