$30K total aid to UC Irvine... would you do it??

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

UCI w/ $30K in total aid?

Yes
7
8%
No
20
22%
Maybe
8
9%
Hell no!
57
62%
 
Total votes: 92

BigZuck
Posts: 10852
Joined: Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:53 am

Re: $30K total aid to UC Irvine... would you do it??

Postby BigZuck » Thu Apr 25, 2013 8:04 pm

Why exactly are you so set on this school again? Because you went there as an undergrad?

If I was targeting CA it really would be T14/UCLA/USC or bust (maybe Vanderbilt). The rest of the schools out there just don't place well enough and cost little enough to justify attending. Maybe UCI will but I have my doubts with a growing class size.

User avatar
gitguy
Posts: 264
Joined: Thu Jul 05, 2012 2:01 pm

Re: $30K total aid to UC Irvine... would you do it??

Postby gitguy » Thu Apr 25, 2013 8:32 pm

BigZuck wrote:Why exactly are you so set on this school again? Because you went there as an undergrad?

If I was targeting CA it really would be T14/UCLA/USC or bust (maybe Vanderbilt). The rest of the schools out there just don't place well enough and cost little enough to justify attending. Maybe UCI will but I have my doubts with a growing class size.


Vanderbilt? I don't know one attorney (and I know many) that even know where Vanderbilt is...

Notwithstanding the threat of this devolving into another UCI pissing contest: I love the program, I have studied under a few of the professors already, there are pertinent family issues that are keeping me tied down in OC, I know the OC legal market extremely well (I have been working in a law firm here for 3 1/2 years), I have dozens of contacts, I have a fallback position at my current firm that would be pretty cush, I also have several friends that are current 3Ls, 2Ls, and 1Ls at UCI.

I'm leaving my firm to tackle the October LSAT full time for this (and to travel afterward as well). I feel as confident I as can that I am capable of beating my 165.

Thanks to everyone for the input.

User avatar
gitguy
Posts: 264
Joined: Thu Jul 05, 2012 2:01 pm

Re: $30K total aid to UC Irvine... would you do it??

Postby gitguy » Thu Apr 25, 2013 8:35 pm

bananasplit19 wrote:
gitguy wrote:How is that the least bit binding? Many people put down deposits and then go somewhere else. How is this any different? Not being sarcastic.

Alright, I think your plan is clearer to me, at least. In effect, you want to keep UCI on the hook for next year, and if you nail the LSAT, then you withdraw your deferred acceptance, then you apply elsewhere, and re-apply at UCI. Clever.

A couple problems, though. You should make absolutely sure that the UCI deferral is not contractually binding. You say you have a specific understanding with Dean Austin. I would make 100% sure, because if it's even in a grey area, it could come to bite you in the ass ethically come bar interview time. Additionally, and more importantly, a lot of law school apps (if not all of them) have a section along the lines of whether you've attended/committed to attend other law schools in previous cycles. If you withdraw from UCI before submitting these apps to other schools in Nov/Dec, you may or may not be in the clear in regards to answering truthfully. But even if you are, then you potentially lose your UCI scholly/acceptance (because you'll have to reapply and they'll know you were just using them as backup...seems like a one-way ticket to a waitlist to me).

I dunno, guy, it just seems like a lot of inside baseball. Make sure you've evaluated all the risks and variables before jumping.


Yeah, it's definitely inside baseball. I'm doing what I have to do to stay in OC and go to the best school possible. Otherwise I would just forego all the wrangling. Trust me, this hasn't been pleasant. I'm wondering why I got lowballed on the scholly to begin with. Even after all this, their scholarship MO is an enigma to me, very inconsistent.

User avatar
boblawlob
Posts: 524
Joined: Mon Oct 11, 2010 7:29 pm

Re: $30K total aid to UC Irvine... would you do it??

Postby boblawlob » Thu Apr 25, 2013 8:41 pm

..
Last edited by boblawlob on Fri May 17, 2013 10:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BigZuck
Posts: 10852
Joined: Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:53 am

Re: $30K total aid to UC Irvine... would you do it??

Postby BigZuck » Thu Apr 25, 2013 8:47 pm

You're tied to Orange County but applied to Maryland and George Mason? I don't really get what your strategy was there. Anyway a higher LSAT will do wonders, 169+ should have you in a much better position. Good luck!

User avatar
gitguy
Posts: 264
Joined: Thu Jul 05, 2012 2:01 pm

Re: $30K total aid to UC Irvine... would you do it??

Postby gitguy » Thu Apr 25, 2013 8:48 pm

boblawlob wrote:
gitguy wrote:Trust me, this hasn't been pleasant. I'm wondering why I got lowballed on the scholly to begin with. Even after all this, their scholarship MO is an enigma to me, very inconsistent.

You totally did.

Someone with 3.45/161 with non-profit softs (you seem to have equally impressive softs as well) got 105k and then that upped to 120k.


Look, I know my overall GPA isn't stellar, but I had a steep upward grade trend, and I worked full-time throughout. Dean Austin made passing mention of my UCI gpa constraining my bargaining power, but I literally fell one grade sign short of latin honors at UCI, so wtf?? That fact was actually mentioned in one of my letters of rec, which happened to be from a law professor in my undergrad. No character issues, strong and relevant work history, and an LSAT pegged at their median. Very frustrating...

The only theory I have is that diversity is actually a serious factor for them (as they have publicized). Something about my app had already been fulfilled by another admit, because people with identical numbers but different softs fared better.

User avatar
gitguy
Posts: 264
Joined: Thu Jul 05, 2012 2:01 pm

Re: $30K total aid to UC Irvine... would you do it??

Postby gitguy » Thu Apr 25, 2013 8:50 pm

BigZuck wrote:You're tied to Orange County but applied to Maryland and George Mason? I don't really get what your strategy was there. Anyway a higher LSAT will do wonders, 169+ should have you in a much better position. Good luck!


It was a pipe dream. When things got down to brass tacks, I couldn't see myself leaving. It would have put a serious strain on my loved ones. I had to explore all options though.

timbs4339
Posts: 2733
Joined: Sat Apr 02, 2011 12:19 pm

Re: $30K total aid to UC Irvine... would you do it??

Postby timbs4339 » Thu Apr 25, 2013 9:12 pm

gitguy wrote:
boblawlob wrote:
gitguy wrote:Trust me, this hasn't been pleasant. I'm wondering why I got lowballed on the scholly to begin with. Even after all this, their scholarship MO is an enigma to me, very inconsistent.

You totally did.

Someone with 3.45/161 with non-profit softs (you seem to have equally impressive softs as well) got 105k and then that upped to 120k.


Look, I know my overall GPA isn't stellar, but I had a steep upward grade trend, and I worked full-time throughout. Dean Austin made passing mention of my UCI gpa constraining my bargaining power, but I literally fell one grade sign short of latin honors at UCI, so wtf?? That fact was actually mentioned in one of my letters of rec, which happened to be from a law professor in my undergrad. No character issues, strong and relevant work history, and an LSAT pegged at their median. Very frustrating...

The only theory I have is that diversity is actually a serious factor for them (as they have publicized). Something about my app had already been fulfilled by another admit, because people with identical numbers but different softs fared better.


Um, because to them you are either 11, 00, or 01. Meaning you either are above both medians, below both medians, or above one and below the other. They don't give a shit about all the rest.

User avatar
DoveBodyWash
Posts: 3087
Joined: Fri Dec 23, 2011 4:12 pm

Re: $30K total aid to UC Irvine... would you do it??

Postby DoveBodyWash » Thu Apr 25, 2013 9:13 pm

gitguy wrote:
bananasplit19 wrote:
gitguy wrote:How is that the least bit binding? Many people put down deposits and then go somewhere else. How is this any different? Not being sarcastic.

Alright, I think your plan is clearer to me, at least. In effect, you want to keep UCI on the hook for next year, and if you nail the LSAT, then you withdraw your deferred acceptance, then you apply elsewhere, and re-apply at UCI. Clever.

A couple problems, though. You should make absolutely sure that the UCI deferral is not contractually binding. You say you have a specific understanding with Dean Austin. I would make 100% sure, because if it's even in a grey area, it could come to bite you in the ass ethically come bar interview time. Additionally, and more importantly, a lot of law school apps (if not all of them) have a section along the lines of whether you've attended/committed to attend other law schools in previous cycles. If you withdraw from UCI before submitting these apps to other schools in Nov/Dec, you may or may not be in the clear in regards to answering truthfully. But even if you are, then you potentially lose your UCI scholly/acceptance (because you'll have to reapply and they'll know you were just using them as backup...seems like a one-way ticket to a waitlist to me).

I dunno, guy, it just seems like a lot of inside baseball. Make sure you've evaluated all the risks and variables before jumping.


Yeah, it's definitely inside baseball. I'm doing what I have to do to stay in OC and go to the best school possible. Otherwise I would just forego all the wrangling. Trust me, this hasn't been pleasant. I'm wondering why I got lowballed on the scholly to begin with. Even after all this, their scholarship MO is an enigma to me, very inconsistent.


There's nothing wrong with helping yourself until it means breaking a binding agreement that could screw you professionally. If you defer, do yourself a favor and honor your agreement. If you want to do the best tactical thing, then withdraw and re-apply.

Good luck

User avatar
J-e-L-L-o
Posts: 418
Joined: Sun Dec 04, 2011 8:42 am

Re: $30K total aid to UC Irvine... would you do it??

Postby J-e-L-L-o » Thu Apr 25, 2013 9:51 pm

I like UCI. I think it is a great option for the OC and So Cal market. TLS hates UCI but who cares...

But I think 30k is not enough to attend. I would retake and re-evaluate to get more scholly money.

User avatar
sublime
Posts: 15397
Joined: Sun Mar 10, 2013 12:21 pm

Re: $30K total aid to UC Irvine... would you do it??

Postby sublime » Fri Apr 26, 2013 12:31 am

..

User avatar
gitguy
Posts: 264
Joined: Thu Jul 05, 2012 2:01 pm

Re: $30K total aid to UC Irvine... would you do it??

Postby gitguy » Fri Apr 26, 2013 3:18 am

cusenation wrote:
gitguy wrote:
bananasplit19 wrote:
gitguy wrote:How is that the least bit binding? Many people put down deposits and then go somewhere else. How is this any different? Not being sarcastic.

Alright, I think your plan is clearer to me, at least. In effect, you want to keep UCI on the hook for next year, and if you nail the LSAT, then you withdraw your deferred acceptance, then you apply elsewhere, and re-apply at UCI. Clever.

A couple problems, though. You should make absolutely sure that the UCI deferral is not contractually binding. You say you have a specific understanding with Dean Austin. I would make 100% sure, because if it's even in a grey area, it could come to bite you in the ass ethically come bar interview time. Additionally, and more importantly, a lot of law school apps (if not all of them) have a section along the lines of whether you've attended/committed to attend other law schools in previous cycles. If you withdraw from UCI before submitting these apps to other schools in Nov/Dec, you may or may not be in the clear in regards to answering truthfully. But even if you are, then you potentially lose your UCI scholly/acceptance (because you'll have to reapply and they'll know you were just using them as backup...seems like a one-way ticket to a waitlist to me).

I dunno, guy, it just seems like a lot of inside baseball. Make sure you've evaluated all the risks and variables before jumping.


Yeah, it's definitely inside baseball. I'm doing what I have to do to stay in OC and go to the best school possible. Otherwise I would just forego all the wrangling. Trust me, this hasn't been pleasant. I'm wondering why I got lowballed on the scholly to begin with. Even after all this, their scholarship MO is an enigma to me, very inconsistent.


There's nothing wrong with helping yourself until it means breaking a binding agreement that could screw you professionally. If you defer, do yourself a favor and honor your agreement. If you want to do the best tactical thing, then withdraw and re-apply.

Good luck

Respectfully noted




Return to “Choosing a Law School”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests