So... I swore I wouldn't make one of these:Vanderbilt v GULC

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Money at Vandy or sticker at Georgetown

Vandy $
67%
Georgetown (sticker)
33%

Total votes: 42

bzzingbee

Re: So... I swore I wouldn't make one of these:Vanderbilt v GULC

Postby bzzingbee » Tue Apr 09, 2013 4:47 pm

cinephile wrote:
bzzingbee wrote:
cinephile wrote:If you do anything other than take the full ride, then you deserve all the misery that will be sure to follow.

That was... harsh. No need to be a jerk about it. That's why I was asking advice.

Sorry, that was harsh.

But you're in a great place and I'd hate to see someone give up a full ride to chase after prestige - especially since I've seen this happen quite a lot.

Thanks, I know. It's a lot to consider. I have some time, and I definitely will weigh all the options incredibly carefully.

bzzingbee

Postby bzzingbee » Tue Apr 09, 2013 4:48 pm

bizzybone1313 wrote:I wouldn't go to GT at sticker. That is way too much debt. What happened at Cornell and UT? Did you apply?

Got waitlisted at Cornell. And did not apply to UT.

Lord Randolph McDuff

Postby Lord Randolph McDuff » Tue Apr 09, 2013 5:05 pm

Confused at all these people saying DA jobs are harder to get than biglaw. First off, it depends on the state. Florida, yeah probably. Most states, no. It's all about state budgets. Also OP take the full-rides if you want to be a DA. Call up or research a bunch of different prosecutor's offices: they will be full of people who went to local schools, many TTT or TTTT depending on location. Do a full-ride in an area where you might want to practice, and be sure to intern/volunteer at the local DA office and work your ass off. You need to plan on getting hired either 1) at the office you intern in or 2) in a nearby office where your rec letters will hold weight.

You sound like someone who was bitten by the ranking's bug.

Lord Randolph McDuff

Postby Lord Randolph McDuff » Tue Apr 09, 2013 5:13 pm

rad lulz wrote:DAs in random flyover states aren't gonna be fellating OP just because she went to GULC

Believe me when I say as a 3L who has looked into these positions that they are VERY difficult to get

If you mean that you didn't look into these positions until you were a 3L, this makes sense. I bet if you would have volunteered during the summer and externed during the year things would be different. Still completive, but easier to get than big firm work, especially if you take a crappy trial court clerkship and apply for an entire year to every opening in the state.

Also agree that DAs in flyover states won't care about GULC. It's about commitment, experience, and luck, not grades/school.

Rlabo

Postby Rlabo » Tue Apr 09, 2013 8:35 pm

Also, FWIW according to LST http://www.lstscorereports.com/?r=other&show=jobs william and mary has the highest public service score of all law schools. Given your stated goals and the full ride this should definitely be in the mix.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”