Duke vs Vandy vs WUSTL

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
TigerChick13

Duke vs Vandy vs WUSTL

Postby TigerChick13 » Mon Apr 08, 2013 9:37 pm

I keep going back and forth on my admissions decision, second-guessing myself. Any advice? I'm pretty sure I want to practice in KCMO or STLMO. I know they aren't major markets, but I love my state and want to have my career here.

I got:

Duke: $105k
Vandy: $110k
WUSTL: $135k
UVA: pending (hopefully to be released this week)

I'm really leaning towards WUSTL since it's so cheap and in MO. However, I'm tempted by the T14 prestige of Duke and great atmosphere of Vandy. I must admit that I wasn't that impressed with Duke at ASD (in terms of a place I'd want to spend 3 years), but I think I could get over it if it was the best career option. Now, I know that Duke is obviously the best choice (unless UVA throws some $$$ my way) for getting that great corporate job, which is what I want. What I don't know is if that greatness really extends to the secondary markets of KC and STL and makes the higher cost of attendance worth it. Also, Vandy wouldn't be that much more expensive to go to, but I don't know if the slightly higher ranking is worth the $10k extra.

Any advice would be appreciated!

Winston1984

Re: Duke vs Vandy vs WUSTL

Postby Winston1984 » Mon Apr 08, 2013 9:43 pm

Duke is definitely worth it at that price. You never know if you will want to stay in MO for the rest of your life, and Duke gives you great portability. Enjoy Duke.

hephaestus

Postby hephaestus » Mon Apr 08, 2013 9:43 pm

Since it sounds like you want big law, I'd go to Duke. T14 + ties is likely to get you back, but if mailing secondary markets doesn't work out you have Duke's OCI to use as well.

WokeUpInACar

Postby WokeUpInACar » Mon Apr 08, 2013 9:44 pm

Can't really imagine an argument for going anywhere but Duke at these prices.

mr.hands

Postby mr.hands » Mon Apr 08, 2013 10:14 pm

WokeUpInACar wrote:Can't really imagine an argument for going anywhere but Duke at these prices.

Agreed. Even if UVA matches, i'd still go with Duke b/c of employment statistics. 110k off sticker is unbelievable.

Clearly

Postby Clearly » Mon Apr 08, 2013 10:17 pm

Duke. You'd be a fool not to.

GMGP

Postby GMGP » Mon Apr 08, 2013 11:14 pm

You have connections to the MO market, don't worry about jobs, you're a lock.

Gut feeling is underrated. You want to go somewhere you will be happy. I'm definitely the odd one out on TLS since I ignore rankings (for the most part) and focus on fit and quality of life. These schools are all great options for your goal, pick the one you think you would enjoy the most. I picked Duke and I am happy, but also I'm from near Nashville and I love it there, and my friends from WUSTL have loved their time there as well. As I said, three great choices.

Good luck!

dissonance1848

Postby dissonance1848 » Mon Apr 08, 2013 11:22 pm

OP, you realize that coughing up 30k more for Duke basically at least doubles

your chances for biglaw, right?

Duke is the answer here.

(unless UVA comes back matching Duke, or one of CCNP comes in with at least 50-60k).

TigerChick13

Postby TigerChick13 » Tue Apr 09, 2013 12:10 am

dissonance1848 wrote:

Duke is the answer here.

(unless UVA comes back matching Duke, or one of CCNP comes in with at least 50-60k).

Yeah, I see that. I think I'm just worried that, even with way better odds, I may not end up with a biglaw job and then be stuck with more debt that I can't afford to pay off. I already have debt from undergrad, so I'm really taking financial aid into consideration. I just can't alleviate the fear of graduating with no biglaw job and not being able to pay my student loans. Though I must admit that all the responses here make me think taking Duke's offer is the much smarter move, even if it is roughly $45k more in loans.

Clearly

Postby Clearly » Tue Apr 09, 2013 12:40 am

TigerChick13 wrote:
dissonance1848 wrote:

Duke is the answer here.

Yeah, I see that. I think I'm just worried that, even with way better odds, I may not end up with a biglaw job and then be stuck with more debt that I can't afford to pay off. I already have debt from undergrad, so I'm really taking financial aid into consideration. I just can't alleviate the fear of graduating with no biglaw job and not being able to pay my student loans. Though I must admit that all the responses here make me think taking Duke's offer is the much smarter move, even if it is roughly $45k more in loans.

I could see that, if you were comparing schools in the same class. You're talking killer placement, vs good. It's not even close.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”