Keep GULC $$ for leverage with T6?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
User avatar
Justin Genious
Posts: 271
Joined: Sat Sep 29, 2012 12:01 pm

Re: Keep GULC $$ for leverage with T6?

Postby Justin Genious » Mon Apr 08, 2013 7:37 pm

Real Madrid wrote:You wrote your "point" in math equation format, so I guess you really only have yourself to blame.

And yes, I'd argue that the opinions of prospective students do indeed matter to law schools. That's where the money comes from, after all. :roll:

*sigh* not worth the discussion anymore.

OP, I'd at least shoot them all an email of your offer and hope one is willing to up the offer. Best of luck to you.

User avatar
jbagelboy
Posts: 9635
Joined: Thu Nov 29, 2012 7:57 pm

Re: Keep GULC $$ for leverage with T6?

Postby jbagelboy » Mon Apr 08, 2013 7:46 pm

sinfiery wrote:
bizzybone1313 wrote:Penn is going to someday be more well regarded than NYU by most people. You heard it here first. I have never cared for either one very much, but I am warming up to Penn.


I don't see it happening. In fact, I'm calling UVA #7 and Penn #8 next year on USNWR


NYU won't fall to Penn and UVA so fast because believe whatever you want, not all prospective students and attorneys care about biglaw. you are forgetting all those that wish to pursue careers in public interest, where there is no question NYU has better connections, resources, and placement. not to mention root tilden and anbryce will continue to snag from YHS. its good that rankings don't just look at NLJ 250, since thats only relevant to a subset of applicants

User avatar
sinfiery
Posts: 3308
Joined: Thu Jul 14, 2011 2:55 am

Re: Keep GULC $$ for leverage with T6?

Postby sinfiery » Mon Apr 08, 2013 7:47 pm

Real Madrid wrote:
This is a complete non-sequitur.

I disagree. Having the choice to attend UPenn and NYU but picking X is actually the only way to gauge what a prospective student thinks of a schools reputation relative to another.

And this is a straw man, as this is not at all the point that I made. Nevertheless, I'll briefly address it:

There is no denying that Penn has been the best school (stats-wise) for placing into big law the last few years. Numbers don't lie. But they don't always tell the whole truth. While I don't have data to back up this claim (nor, I assume, does anyone else on TLS that makes it), I do tend to believe that a significant number of YHS grads go into prestigious jobs that are generally not easily accessible to non YHS grads. I do not think a significant number of UVA grads are going into those same jobs. Feel free to dispute that if you wish.


The data is far from comprehensive. Self selection is a real thing. This doesn't stop at HYS. We just don't know enough to make these distinct claims.

User avatar
jbagelboy
Posts: 9635
Joined: Thu Nov 29, 2012 7:57 pm

Re: Keep GULC $$ for leverage with T6?

Postby jbagelboy » Mon Apr 08, 2013 7:48 pm

NoodleyOne wrote:CCN I believe scoffs at offers from lower schools. I don't know how they look at Virginia or Penn, but it seems like lower than that they just don't care.


they might scoff at matching, but doesn't this vary based on the offer?

SportsFan
Posts: 722
Joined: Thu Oct 11, 2012 5:26 pm

Re: Keep GULC $$ for leverage with T6?

Postby SportsFan » Mon Apr 08, 2013 9:38 pm

What is this thread. :shock:

GMGP
Posts: 41
Joined: Sat Apr 06, 2013 2:17 pm

Re: Keep GULC $$ for leverage with T6?

Postby GMGP » Mon Apr 08, 2013 10:56 pm

I would take CCN at full price over the money at G'town. The employment security is definitely worth it.




Return to “Choosing a Law School”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Yahoo [Bot] and 3 guests