USC (40k) vs UCI (45k) per year scholly

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

USC (40k) vs UCI (45k)

USC (40k)
80%
UCI (45k)
20%

Total votes: 96

y2zipper

Re: USC (40k) vs UCI (45k) per year scholly

Postby y2zipper » Wed Apr 10, 2013 7:34 pm

In your shoes I'd probably take USC. Nobody knows where UCI will end up, but the USC offer is good enough where you shouldn't take the risk on the uncertainty. That's not a knock on UCI.

zman

Postby zman » Wed Apr 10, 2013 7:35 pm

USC forgot to hire like 20% of its grads like a bunch of other schools did to mask their employment stats. identical money = USC over UCI.. it's no contest..

lawschoolsoldier

Postby lawschoolsoldier » Wed Apr 10, 2013 7:38 pm

leagle1 wrote:
Micdiddy wrote:
Uh, yes it is. You must know why, you are trying to ignore the most glaring argument against your case. This is habit you should dispose of before law school.

If you are seeing UCLA/USC in the list I linked to, you have bigger problems than your legal career. Also, I'm not sure why you would make the (false) assumption that I have not started law school yet.

The speculative arguments against UCI (that they are only doing well because of the small first class size, that the first class was "special", and that they recieved non-repeatable special help) do not outweigh the probative value of the FACT that UCI was in the top ten of ALL schools nationally in terms of Full-Time, Long-Term Legal Job placement. There are plenty of other new schools with small classes out there, they don't tend to beat out T-14 schools in job rankings...

I can't wait to see what the excuses will be next year when UCI again beats USC/UCLA in job placement. In my opinion there are a lot of sour grapes in TLS.

UCI didn't beat anyone in anything. of about 56 that got JDs, half of them got big law/clerkship.. that's not beating anyone in anything.

sinfiery

Postby sinfiery » Wed Apr 10, 2013 7:43 pm

99.9luft wrote:what's up, Sin! :D good to "hear" from you.

No, i totally agree. I wasn't talking about this OP (after the OP clarified some points, i voted for USC in the poll).

I was explaining the inaugural class's employment data (often not known here on TLS). This August 2016 class will be 120 and they will scale it slowly, from what they said. Meaning, they will not be at 180 ppl per class until at least 2018-2020, from what many of us asked them. In the next 5 years, it will increase slowly. The incoming class of 2017, for example, will be around 120-130 again, just like this year's.

They are not morons - they realize that having awesome employment data is achievable easier with a 120 person class than with 150 (at least until UCI expands its alumni network, becomes more known, better ranked). From multiple interactions with students, faculty, and staff, they are in no rush whatsoever to equal USC's class size (their projected ceiling).

hi :)

fair enough, I will confess I definitely do not know enough about the Cali market/the perception of UCI/UCB/UCSD, etc in that area to say anything about UCI as a whole. I just don't think that the risk of a growing class/small alumni network is worth the same COA in this one scenario.

aarias11

Postby aarias11 » Wed Apr 10, 2013 7:52 pm

What does it mean when students from T-20 schools take the time to fiercely criticize UCI? Maybe its subconscious, but I sense some insecurity. Not saying the insecurity is well founded, but its presence certainly seems to indicate that SOME people find it plausible that UCI is a better choice then the aforementioned schools. As for OP you are in a situation many people would only dream of being in. Whatever choice you make is the right choice. IMSO

lawschoolsoldier

Postby lawschoolsoldier » Wed Apr 10, 2013 7:57 pm

aarias11 wrote:What does it mean when students from T-20 schools take the time to fiercely criticize UCI? Maybe its subconscious, but I sense some insecurity. Not saying the insecurity is well founded, but its presence certainly seems to indicate that SOME people find it plausible that UCI is a better choice then the aforementioned schools. As for OP you are in a situation many people would only dream of being in. Whatever choice you make is the right choice. IMSO

it's a good choice if you have a full ride but it's not a better choice at pretty much equal money vs a T20. after all people dont think a T30(where Irvine well end up) is better than a T20 at equal money.

hephaestus

Postby hephaestus » Wed Apr 10, 2013 8:00 pm

aarias11 wrote:What does it mean when students from T-20 schools take the time to fiercely criticize UCI? Maybe its subconscious, but I sense some insecurity. Not saying the insecurity is well founded, but its presence certainly seems to indicate that SOME people find it plausible that UCI is a better choice then the aforementioned schools. As for OP you are in a situation many people would only dream of being in. Whatever choice you make is the right choice. IMSO

1. Lol
2. There are a host of factors that go into choosing a school. UCI had one year of good data but it takes more than that. For example, in 2010 Cornell was number 2 for big law. That does not mean its the 2nd best choice. Averaging data over a five year period yields the most consistent results. Assuming that UCI will stay consistent by 2016 (or even 2014 when this class would do OCI) is a huge gamble. Hence all the pro-UCI rhetoric would be like me holding up the 2010 Cornell data and saying I go to the second best school in the country.

BigZuck

Postby BigZuck » Wed Apr 10, 2013 8:01 pm

bchirco wrote:
leagle1 wrote:
bchirco wrote:USC and UCI are not even close in levels.

LST is misleading of UCI's information, USC is so far ahead of UCI in the hiring game it shouldn't even be a considered in the same sentence. Do NOT take rank into account. Take facts. USC has one of the strongest alumni networks on the planet...ON THE PLANET. UCI isn't even considered a top tier UC what makes you think it is going to compete with USC/UCLA for LAW? A game that USC/UCLA has been playing for a lonnngggg time.

Well that's funny because I don't see UCLA or USC on this list: http://www.law.com/jsp/nlj/PubArticleNL ... 2595075640

I do see UCI though. But I guess the ranking of "Law Schools with the Highest Placement Rate in Full-Time, Long-Term Legal Jobs" is uninformative as to where UCI is in "the hiring game".

You're right UCI > Yale.

Seriously though, that is NOT indicative of future success by any means. 47 students? You are comparing USC to UCI based off of their 47 out of 56 students that got a job? Are you not from SoCal? If so, have you worked in a SoCal law firm?

Do you honestly think that when UCI is turning out 180 JDs a year that people are going to prefer them over USC?

Again, I'm trying to knock on UCI, I even went to a UC for ugrad, but lets be honest here...a NEW law school in an overly saturated market with two very SUCCESSFUL law schools down the street. I'm sure UCI will make a fine name for itself, but it is not (at least right now) ANYWHERE near USC.

I'm guessing this will be the new SoCal LS hierarchy UCLA>USC>UCI>Loyola>other

I think calling UCLA/USC very SUCCESSFUL is more than a little bit of a stretch.

Also why do UCI kids feel the need to white night their school so much so that they present arguments that fly in the very face of logic and common sense?

Micdiddy

Postby Micdiddy » Wed Apr 10, 2013 8:14 pm

I thought uci might be an ok school, until I listened to people supporting it. If this kind of disregard for logic is what uci fosters then I may have to convert to a full on Dr. Dre on its ass.
Last edited by Micdiddy on Wed Apr 10, 2013 8:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lawschoolsoldier

Postby lawschoolsoldier » Wed Apr 10, 2013 8:15 pm

irvine has already failed at one regard though. Their dean said they would have GPAs and LSATs close to or as good as USC/texas/vandy/UCLA right away wtih their small classes... they DO NOT. 3.5 GPA median and 165 LSAT median is not close to the 4 schools mentioned.

99.9luft

Postby 99.9luft » Wed Apr 10, 2013 8:19 pm

lawschoolsoldier wrote:irvine has already failed at one regard though. Their dean said they would have GPAs and LSATs close to or as good as USC/texas/vandy/UCLA right away wtih their small classes... they DO NOT. 3.5 GPA median and 165 LSAT median is not close to the 4 schools mentioned.

that's true, the medians are not at UCLA/USC level at this time. Chem did say that the medians are (so far) higher for this August's incoming class, comparing to those of last year's. I think if they keep throwing money at debt-averse USC/UCLA admits, they can increase their medians in a couple of years.

lawschoolsoldier

Postby lawschoolsoldier » Wed Apr 10, 2013 8:27 pm

99.9luft wrote:
lawschoolsoldier wrote:irvine has already failed at one regard though. Their dean said they would have GPAs and LSATs close to or as good as USC/texas/vandy/UCLA right away wtih their small classes... they DO NOT. 3.5 GPA median and 165 LSAT median is not close to the 4 schools mentioned.

that's true, the medians are not at UCLA/USC level at this time. Chem did say that the medians are (so far) higher for this August's incoming class, comparing to those of last year's. I think if they keep throwing money at debt-averse USC/UCLA admits, they can increase their medians in a couple of years.

how would he know that?? How many people have actually committed? I think what he meant that the people who have applied so far are better.

99.9luft

Postby 99.9luft » Wed Apr 10, 2013 8:30 pm

lawschoolsoldier wrote:
99.9luft wrote:

how would he know that?? How many people have actually committed? I think what he meant that the people who have applied so far are better.

I think he could know this by perhaps the admissions' ability to track the median as they accept applicants (and by April they have a decent idea of the accepted, not committed or matriculated applicants). Not really sure how admissions works, so maybe someone else can elaborate.

ETA: this is, of course, a theory, for i have no idea what Chem actually meant.
Last edited by 99.9luft on Wed Apr 10, 2013 8:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dmini7

Postby Dmini7 » Wed Apr 10, 2013 8:39 pm

99.9luft wrote:
lawschoolsoldier wrote:
99.9luft wrote:

I think he could know this by perhaps the admissions' ability to track the median as they accept applicants (and by April they have a decent idea of the accepted, not committed or matriculated applicants). Not really sure how admissions works, so maybe someone else can elaborate.

he may also be using figures from individuals who have sent in an SIR. That would give him an idea of the expected class numbers if nothing else.

Lasers

Postby Lasers » Wed Apr 10, 2013 10:25 pm

bchirco wrote:
leagle1 wrote:
bchirco wrote:USC and UCI are not even close in levels.

LST is misleading of UCI's information, USC is so far ahead of UCI in the hiring game it shouldn't even be a considered in the same sentence. Do NOT take rank into account. Take facts. USC has one of the strongest alumni networks on the planet...ON THE PLANET. UCI isn't even considered a top tier UC what makes you think it is going to compete with USC/UCLA for LAW? A game that USC/UCLA has been playing for a lonnngggg time.

Well that's funny because I don't see UCLA or USC on this list: http://www.law.com/jsp/nlj/PubArticleNL ... 2595075640

I do see UCI though. But I guess the ranking of "Law Schools with the Highest Placement Rate in Full-Time, Long-Term Legal Jobs" is uninformative as to where UCI is in "the hiring game".

You're right UCI > Yale.

Seriously though, that is NOT indicative of future success by any means. 47 students? You are comparing USC to UCI based off of their 47 out of 56 students that got a job? Are you not from SoCal? If so, have you worked in a SoCal law firm?

Do you honestly think that when UCI is turning out 180 JDs a year that people are going to prefer them over USC?

Again, I'm trying to knock on UCI, I even went to a UC for ugrad, but lets be honest here...a NEW law school in an overly saturated market with two very SUCCESSFUL law schools down the street. I'm sure UCI will make a fine name for itself, but it is not (at least right now) ANYWHERE near USC.

I'm guessing this will be the new SoCal LS hierarchy UCLA>USC>UCI>Loyola>other

i agree, except UCLA = USC by just about every metric.

popsicle11

Postby popsicle11 » Wed Apr 10, 2013 10:42 pm

I really don't understand the hate that UCI gets. I don't even go there, had no desire to and never applied, but I don't sit around on TLS and bash it all the time, or take every opportunity to say something negative about it like some people seem to. Sure, it's a gamble to go there and I'm sure the people who decide to go there know that and are doing their best to maintain their fantastic statistics (you can say anything you want about the sustainability of their stats but for now, they are fantastic). I go to UCLA and worked with some UCI students last year and they were fantastic and LOVED their school. I was actually a little jealous that they seemed so happy while going through law school (which is hell for all you 0Ls). The lawyers we worked for never had a single bad thing to say about them and even gushed about what a fantastic thing UCI is doing, and I'm sure they have even more admirers in OC.

Isn't that what matters? That the people who will be hiring them love their school? I have never met anyone who had a single bad thing to say about the school except on TLS. The students who go to UCI currently are going to be our COLLEAGUES in the future, and it worries me that all everyone in LA and elsewhere (at least on TLS) can seem to do is bash them. You have no reason to be threatened by them - if UCI becomes a fantastic school it doesn't automatically mean that UCLA and USC are going to be terrible schools. If UCI gets ranked highly, your life is not going to suddenly become unbearable. So just... stop bashing them, present your information in a neutral way (pretend you're writing a memo!!) and stop being such d-bags to a school that has attracted smart (and very happy) students.

Also, for the people saying that UCI is going to be a T30 school, I'd like to know where you got your psychic abilities and can I learn please?

99.9luft

Postby 99.9luft » Wed Apr 10, 2013 11:27 pm

popsicle11 wrote:I really don't understand the hate that UCI gets. I don't even go there, had no desire to and never applied, but I don't sit around on TLS and bash it all the time, or take every opportunity to say something negative about it like some people seem to. Sure, it's a gamble to go there and I'm sure the people who decide to go there know that and are doing their best to maintain their fantastic statistics (you can say anything you want about the sustainability of their stats but for now, they are fantastic). I go to UCLA and worked with some UCI students last year and they were fantastic and LOVED their school. I was actually a little jealous that they seemed so happy while going through law school (which is hell for all you 0Ls). The lawyers we worked for never had a single bad thing to say about them and even gushed about what a fantastic thing UCI is doing, and I'm sure they have even more admirers in OC.

Isn't that what matters? That the people who will be hiring them love their school? I have never met anyone who had a single bad thing to say about the school except on TLS. The students who go to UCI currently are going to be our COLLEAGUES in the future, and it worries me that all everyone in LA and elsewhere (at least on TLS) can seem to do is bash them. You have no reason to be threatened by them - if UCI becomes a fantastic school it doesn't automatically mean that UCLA and USC are going to be terrible schools. If UCI gets ranked highly, your life is not going to suddenly become unbearable. So just... stop bashing them, present your information in a neutral way (pretend you're writing a memo!!) and stop being such d-bags to a school that has attracted smart (and very happy) students.

Also, for the people saying that UCI is going to be a T30 school, I'd like to know where you got your psychic abilities and can I learn please?

you. i like you.

RELIC

Postby RELIC » Wed Apr 10, 2013 11:37 pm

popsicle11 wrote:I really don't understand the hate that UCI gets.

Basically it is all the UCI fanboys that post about how awesome UCI is despite it having unproven employment outcomes. That shit infuriates the rest of us. Especially when they used to say that UCI was for sure going to be a T20 (they have backed away from that claim this year).

popsicle11 wrote:[Anecdote]

Cool Story Bro

popsicle11 wrote:Isn't that what matters? That the people who will be hiring them love their school? I have never met anyone who had a single bad thing to say about the school except on TLS. The students who go to UCI currently are going to be our COLLEAGUES in the future, and it worries me that all everyone in LA and elsewhere (at least on TLS) can seem to do is bash them.

First of all, your anecdote doesn't prove that employers love UCI. Second, no that is not what matters. What matter are employment outcomes for future classes. You can love a school but still not hire its graduates because you are worried about the the quality of their work or the lack of prestige they will bring to your firm.

popsicle11 wrote:You have no reason to be threatened by them - if UCI becomes a fantastic school it doesn't automatically mean that UCLA and USC are going to be terrible schools. If UCI gets ranked highly, your life is not going to suddenly become unbearable. So just... stop bashing them, present your information in a neutral way (pretend you're writing a memo!!) and stop being such d-bags to a school that has attracted smart (and very happy) students.

I don't think anyone is but someone needs to temper the unbridled enthusiasm in the posts of the converts that have drank the UCI koolaid.

popsicle11 wrote:Also, for the people saying that UCI is going to be a T30 school, I'd like to know where you got your psychic abilities and can I learn please?

Good question.
Last edited by RELIC on Wed Apr 10, 2013 11:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

girlishoutline

Postby girlishoutline » Wed Apr 10, 2013 11:38 pm

popsicle11 wrote:I really don't understand the hate that UCI gets. I don't even go there, had no desire to and never applied, but I don't sit around on TLS and bash it all the time, or take every opportunity to say something negative about it like some people seem to. Sure, it's a gamble to go there and I'm sure the people who decide to go there know that and are doing their best to maintain their fantastic statistics (you can say anything you want about the sustainability of their stats but for now, they are fantastic). I go to UCLA and worked with some UCI students last year and they were fantastic and LOVED their school. I was actually a little jealous that they seemed so happy while going through law school (which is hell for all you 0Ls). The lawyers we worked for never had a single bad thing to say about them and even gushed about what a fantastic thing UCI is doing, and I'm sure they have even more admirers in OC.

I also like you. :)

NoodleyOne

Postby NoodleyOne » Wed Apr 10, 2013 11:42 pm

Be careful. That kool-aid has quite a kick.

The "hate" is from questions regarding the sustainability of the school's success and the unrealistic expectations many have in regards to the future prospects, as well as the gall of opening another law school in what is perhaps the most oversaturated market in the country.

99.9luft

Postby 99.9luft » Wed Apr 10, 2013 11:43 pm

RELIC wrote:Especially when they used to say that UCI was for sure going to be a T20 (they have backed away from that claim this year).

not true. Chem still said top 20 at ASW. I doubt that will happen, despite it feeling like he knew smth we didn't. But the students (current and prospective) aren't betting on that just yet. Most think in terms of a top 30. Although, sure, it would be nice if that happens.

99.9luft

Postby 99.9luft » Wed Apr 10, 2013 11:46 pm

NoodleyOne wrote:Be careful. That kool-aid has quite a kick.

The "hate" is from questions regarding the sustainability of the school's success and the unrealistic expectations many have in regards to the future prospects, as well as the gall of opening another law school in what is perhaps the most oversaturated market in the country.

The concerns are valid. Yet, there is no need to hate re the sustainability point. It is smth that many (of UCI and other prospective students) are aware of and it can be said in an educated and not douchy language/tone as commonly done on TLS. I really don't want to believe that TLS is dominated by immature, negative people who talk out of their ass.

99.9luft

Postby 99.9luft » Wed Apr 10, 2013 11:48 pm

this immature hatred and retaliatory UCI white-knighting needs to stop. Sick of it. :x

NoodleyOne

Postby NoodleyOne » Wed Apr 10, 2013 11:50 pm

99.9luft wrote:

The concerns are valid. Yet, there is no need to hate re the sustainability point. It is smth that many (of UCI and other prospective students) are aware of and it can be said in an educated and not douchy language/tone as commonly done on TLS. I really don't want to believe that TLS is dominated by immature, negative people who talk out of their ass.

Are you new here?

99.9luft

Postby 99.9luft » Wed Apr 10, 2013 11:51 pm

NoodleyOne wrote:
99.9luft wrote:

Are you new here?

doesn't mean i like the status quo :|

Return to “Choosing a Law School”