USC (40k) vs UCI (45k) per year scholly Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

USC (40k) vs UCI (45k)

USC (40k)
80%
UCI (45k)
20%

Total votes: 96

WokeUpInACar

Platinum

Re: USC (40k) vs UCI (45k) per year scholly

Post by WokeUpInACar » Thu Apr 11, 2013 2:01 am

Something about all of these people making their first post to white knight UCI just doesn't smell right at all.

Myself

Silver

Post by Myself » Thu Apr 11, 2013 2:32 am

Last edited by Myself on Sun Nov 24, 2013 10:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DoveBodyWash

Gold

Post by DoveBodyWash » Thu Apr 11, 2013 11:27 am

WokeUpInACar wrote:Something about all of these people making their first post to white knight UCI just doesn't smell right at all.
+1

OP, the reality is that UCI is doing well right now. But you don't know whether it will continue to do well, or as well, by the time you (we) need to look for jobs. Granted our OCI will only be one year from this August, so the issue here is class size and market saturation. OC seems to be very open to UCI grads, but how big is the market in OC? At some point their demand will level-off, probably around the same time that UCI class sizes balloon up.

USC on the other hand is predictable and stable. It's been tested. I think UCI could be a great choice for a lot of people, and i've voiced that opinion on TLS whenever its appropriate, but in this case, i think USC is a much better option.

Re: UCI's medians. It depends on how much money they throw at kids. But consider that they've already retreated to giving out normal-level schollies to you guys after giving full-rides/half-rides to all students only 1-2 years ago. UCI is not flush with cash, the UC system is broke. I honestly have no idea where Chem got all this money, maybe donations, maybe the University sees it as an initial investment. But the truth is that UCI Law is gonna have to generate revenue for the larger university at some point.

Assuming that UCI doesn't spike up all schollies next cycle (which would suck for you guys since you'd be the only class getting lukewarm schollies since UCI's founding), their medians aren't gonna magically shoot up into T20 territory.

bettercallsaul91

Bronze

Post by bettercallsaul91 » Sat Apr 13, 2013 9:24 pm

One thing to consider, OP, is that UCI does not have a criminal clinic yet. If you want DA/PD, clinical training is key. You would have to start your own from scratch at UCI.

Dr. Dre

Gold

Post by Dr. Dre » Sat Apr 13, 2013 10:19 pm

UC Irvine Law is a putrid of a law school. Do not go there! Go to USC.

OP, you must be trolling to be even considering this. Seriously.

UCI = TTTT

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

ManoftheHour

Gold

Post by ManoftheHour » Sat Apr 13, 2013 10:43 pm

cusenation wrote:
WokeUpInACar wrote:Something about all of these people making their first post to white knight UCI just doesn't smell right at all.
+1

OP, the reality is that UCI is doing well right now. But you don't know whether it will continue to do well, or as well, by the time you (we) need to look for jobs. Granted our OCI will only be one year from this August, so the issue here is class size and market saturation. OC seems to be very open to UCI grads, but how big is the market in OC? At some point their demand will level-off, probably around the same time that UCI class sizes balloon up.

USC on the other hand is predictable and stable. It's been tested. I think UCI could be a great choice for a lot of people, and i've voiced that opinion on TLS whenever its appropriate, but in this case, i think USC is a much better option.

Re: UCI's medians. It depends on how much money they throw at kids. But consider that they've already retreated to giving out normal-level schollies to you guys after giving full-rides/half-rides to all students only 1-2 years ago. UCI is not flush with cash, the UC system is broke. I honestly have no idea where Chem got all this money, maybe donations, maybe the University sees it as an initial investment. But the truth is that UCI Law is gonna have to generate revenue for the larger university at some point.

Assuming that UCI doesn't spike up all schollies next cycle (which would suck for you guys since you'd be the only class getting lukewarm schollies since UCI's founding), their medians aren't gonna magically shoot up into T20 territory.
Chem got the money from Donald Bren, the chairman and owner of the Irvine Company. You know, the company that pretty much built and owns all of Irvine. Fun fact: The city of Irvine was actually named after the real estate company that built it. It's possible that they could get more donations from Bren. UCI school of law would not have existed without his donations. In fact, UCI Law was almost named the Donald Bren School of Law.

Of course, there's no guarantee that that's going to happen.

Regardless, this is irrelevant.

I'd take USC in a heartbeat. It's not even close.

Dr. Dre

Gold

Post by Dr. Dre » Sat Apr 13, 2013 10:50 pm

ManoftheHour wrote:
Chem got the money from Donald Bren, the chairman and owner of the Irvine Company.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Donald_Bren

ManoftheHour

Gold

Post by ManoftheHour » Sat Apr 13, 2013 10:56 pm

Dr. Dre wrote:
ManoftheHour wrote:
Chem got the money from Donald Bren, the chairman and owner of the Irvine Company.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Donald_Bren
In August 2007, Bren pledged $20 million to the recently established UC Irvine School of Law. The purpose of the gift was to establish an endowment to help recruit and support a nationally recognized dean and 11 distinguished law scholars, and also to provide the dean with discretionary start-up funding. In recognition of the gift, the school was initially named the UC Irvine Donald Bren School of Law. In 2008 an agreement was reached between Bren and the University that the school would not bear his name. Erwin Chemerinsky, dean of the law school, said, "We are deeply grateful for the Bren gift, but it was decided between the chancellor and Mr. Bren that our name should be parallel to other UC schools."

Dr. Dre

Gold

Post by Dr. Dre » Sat Apr 13, 2013 10:59 pm

yup.

Bren should have put that $ into better use than starting a new law school.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

ManoftheHour

Gold

Post by ManoftheHour » Sat Apr 13, 2013 11:03 pm

Dr. Dre wrote:yup.

I'm surprised you didn't say something like

"Bren dodged a bullet when they decided to not name the school after him. Otherwise, his name would be forever attached to a TTT."

Dr. Dre

Gold

Post by Dr. Dre » Sat Apr 13, 2013 11:07 pm

ManoftheHour wrote:
Dr. Dre wrote:yup.

I'm surprised you didn't say something like

"Bren dodged a bullet when they decided to not name the school after him. Otherwise, his name would be forever attached to a TTT."

:lol:

lawschoolsoldier

New

Post by lawschoolsoldier » Sat Apr 13, 2013 11:22 pm

you got love these people who teach at these law schools. have no problem taking 20 million from those they call "extreme right wingers" and love bashing them but hey if they want to give 20 mill for our law school.. they are the greatest thing since sliced read..

Dr. Dre

Gold

Post by Dr. Dre » Sat Apr 13, 2013 11:24 pm

lawschoolsoldier wrote:you got love these people who teach at these law schools. have no problem taking 20 million from those they call "extreme right wingers" and love bashing them but hey if they want to give 20 mill for our law school.. they are the greatest thing since sliced read..

ahhhh liberals :D

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

worldtraveler

Platinum

Post by worldtraveler » Sat Apr 13, 2013 11:25 pm

OP I suggest before you go you find out if you want to be a DA or a PD. There is actually little overlap between the fields; the DA's office generally won't hire people with a PD background, and vice versa.

And I don't see how, at equal money, this is even a consideration. Pick USC. I know some nuts are claiming that USC only sends people to firms. You don't need to go to a PI-focused school to do government work. You just may have fewer fellow students pursuing that path, which isn't necessarily a bad thing.

lawschoolsoldier

New

Post by lawschoolsoldier » Sun Apr 14, 2013 5:43 pm

Dr. Dre wrote:
lawschoolsoldier wrote:you got love these people who teach at these law schools. have no problem taking 20 million from those they call "extreme right wingers" and love bashing them but hey if they want to give 20 mill for our law school.. they are the greatest thing since sliced read..

There is nothing liberal about them. They are scam artists.

Dr. Dre

Gold

Post by Dr. Dre » Sun Apr 14, 2013 5:46 pm

lawschoolsoldier wrote:
Dr. Dre wrote:

There is nothing liberal about them. They are scam artists.

they are scam artists that also happen to be liberals

uci2013

Bronze

Post by uci2013 » Mon Apr 15, 2013 12:08 am

bettercallsaul91 wrote:One thing to consider, OP, is that UCI does not have a criminal clinic yet. If you want DA/PD, clinical training is key. You would have to start your own from scratch at UCI.
There is no formal PD or DA clinic at UCI, but there doesn't need to be. You can arrange an external clinic. We had one student I know of at the DA's office and one at the Federal PD's. I didn't do my clinic at the PD's office, and not sure if anyone did, but I interned at the OCPD last year over a semester and they were very enthusiastic about having UCI students there. Had I not gotten into my first choice clinic I would have done an external clinic at the OCPD's office.

Also one of my classmates got to work at Camp Pendleton his 2L summer and actually did a rape trial and I think an accessory or negligent homicide case (I don't remember the details of what he said) - but he literally did the trial over the summer.

There are definitely opportunities in crim law at UCI. My advice, wherever you end up in CA, is to take evidence as soon as you can so you can be a certified law student. As a certified law student you can appear at hearings and trials under the supervision of an attorney.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Dr. Dre

Gold

Post by Dr. Dre » Mon Apr 15, 2013 12:09 am

uci2013 wrote: There is no formal PD or DA clinic at UCI, but there doesn't need to be. You can arrange an external clinic. We had one student I know of at the DA's office and one at the Federal PD's. I didn't do my clinic at the PD's office, and not sure if anyone did, but I interned at the OCPD last year over a semester and they were very enthusiastic about having UCI students there. Had I not gotten into my first choice clinic I would have done an external clinic at the OCPD's office.

Also one of my classmates got to work at Camp Pendleton his 2L summer and actually did a rape trial and I think an accessory or negligent homicide case (I don't remember the details of what he said) - but he literally did the trial over the summer.

There are definitely opportunities in crim law at UCI. My advice, wherever you end up in CA, is to take evidence as soon as you can so you can be a certified law student. As a certified law student you can appear at hearings and trials under the supervision of an attorney

It was time for the doc to fix your ass—fool

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”