USC (40k) vs UCI (45k) per year scholly

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

USC (40k) vs UCI (45k)

USC (40k)
80%
UCI (45k)
20%

Total votes: 96

BruCam

USC (40k) vs UCI (45k) per year scholly

Postby BruCam » Mon Apr 08, 2013 4:47 pm

I'm not sure if I'm overthinking this one or not. I'm pretty debt averse and am mostly interested in DA/PD work. Cost of living is pretty much mitigated at both with family in close areas.

Just tuition, fees, and books I'm looking at 14k/yr at SC vs 2k/yr at UCI.

Thanks!

John_rizzy_rawls

Re: USC (40k) vs UCI (45k) per year scholly

Postby John_rizzy_rawls » Mon Apr 08, 2013 4:55 pm

These schools aren't on the same level.

J_stack

Postby J_stack » Mon Apr 08, 2013 5:02 pm

Are you kidding? I have those exact two offers and I withdrew from UCI long ago.

bananasplit19

Postby bananasplit19 » Mon Apr 08, 2013 5:29 pm

John_rizzy_rawls wrote:These schools aren't on the same level.

At the risk of putting my head in the lion's mouth, can you elaborate? I have to make a similar choice as OP.

BruCam

Postby BruCam » Mon Apr 08, 2013 5:38 pm

J_stack wrote:Are you kidding? I have those exact two offers and I withdrew from UCI long ago.

Ha nah they both have their pluses to me, I'm def leaning SC at this point, really hope Law Day will seal the deal. But it's a more difficult choice than I had anticipated.

BruCam

Postby BruCam » Mon Apr 08, 2013 5:40 pm

bananasplit19 wrote:
John_rizzy_rawls wrote:These schools aren't on the same level.

At the risk of putting my head in the lion's mouth, can you elaborate? I have to make a similar choice as OP.

+1 on this. I understand they are not the same level now, but is SC def 40k in loans better.

BTW also have 20k in undergrad loans hence the debt consideration.

99.9luft

Postby 99.9luft » Mon Apr 08, 2013 5:42 pm

BruCam wrote:I'm not sure if I'm overthinking this one or not. I'm pretty debt averse and am mostly interested in DA/PD work. Cost of living is pretty much mitigated at both with family in close areas.

Thanks!

someone who went to UCI's A[fuckingmazing]SW would unlikely ask this. Have you visited both schools?

dissonance1848

Postby dissonance1848 » Mon Apr 08, 2013 5:44 pm

This is really a no-brainer.

Just look at Law School Transparency and the 2012 ABA Employment Stats.

Also, remember that UCI keeps jacking up tuition, and their class size has more than doubled, so their "awesome" numbers for

their inaugural class are total BS and worthless as data.

Really, everyone making this choice has to pick USC.

BruCam

Postby BruCam » Mon Apr 08, 2013 5:50 pm

99.9luft wrote:
BruCam wrote:I'm not sure if I'm overthinking this one or not. I'm pretty debt averse and am mostly interested in DA/PD work. Cost of living is pretty much mitigated at both with family in close areas.

Thanks!

someone who went to UCI's A[fuckingmazing]SW would unlikely ask this. Have you visited both schools?

ASW was great, no doubt. That's why this is a tough one. but as someone from LA, Bruin UG, the ties, prestige, and networking from SC for 1/5 of the sticker price is pretty F'en hard to say no to.

Unfortunately I can't let mashed potato martinis dictate my choice lol

BruCam

Postby BruCam » Mon Apr 08, 2013 5:51 pm

dissonance1848 wrote:This is really a no-brainer.

Just look at Law School Transparency and the 2012 ABA Employment Stats.

Also, remember that UCI keeps jacking up tuition, and their class size has more than doubled, so their "awesome" numbers for

their inaugural class are total BS and worthless as data.

Really, everyone making this choice has to pick USC.

Thanks, I have checked all that out and have those exact same concerns. Appreciate the post.

BigZuck

Postby BigZuck » Mon Apr 08, 2013 5:51 pm

Without a doubt, go to USC. The definition of a no brainer.

jbagelboy

Postby jbagelboy » Mon Apr 08, 2013 6:01 pm

I grew up in irvine. pleasant, but boooooooring. literally no night life, and there is actually a curfew, I do not joke. from near usc you can even bike to LA live, k-town, lakers games, mo-chica.. and with the new 110 toll roads (thank heavens at last for a decent urban planner in LA) you can even drive places.

irvine is better if you have like 2 kids, then the stellar public K-12 might be worth it. OTHERWISE prepare for major tailgating action, arcade fire at the shrine, spudnuts, and basically hot girls wherever you go near the row.

bananasplit19

Postby bananasplit19 » Mon Apr 08, 2013 6:12 pm

OP is looking for AD/PD work, and UCI seems more PI focused, while USC seems more firm-focused. But that's window dressing compared to the big question for a debt-averse OP: which one offers a better LRAP? I can guarantee you that none of us have that information readily at our disposal without some research, so I think this is far from a no-brainer!

Also, OP...is your family in LA or OC? Or both? Because if it's one or the other, the nightmare that is the 405 might make your decision for you :?

sinfiery

Postby sinfiery » Mon Apr 08, 2013 6:15 pm

UCI killin it

t14 in no time

seriously though OP, go to USC

dissonance1848

Postby dissonance1848 » Mon Apr 08, 2013 6:17 pm

UCI killin it

t14 in no time
:lol: :lol:

BruCam

Postby BruCam » Mon Apr 08, 2013 6:42 pm

jbagelboy wrote:I grew up in irvine. pleasant, but boooooooring. literally no night life, and there is actually a curfew, I do not joke. from near usc you can even bike to LA live, k-town, lakers games, mo-chica.. and with the new 110 toll roads (thank heavens at last for a decent urban planner in LA) you can even drive places.

irvine is better if you have like 2 kids, then the stellar public K-12 might be worth it. OTHERWISE prepare for major tailgating action, arcade fire at the shrine, spudnuts, and basically hot girls wherever you go near the row.

Negative on kids. Thanks for the response

Lasers

Postby Lasers » Mon Apr 08, 2013 6:50 pm

i went to uci undergrad for. enjoyed it.

with that said, the law school is not on the same level and will likely never be close. usc and ucla are the institutions of socal and will always remain the top dogs in the region. choosing usc for me was an easy decision.

anyone can feel free to pm if you have specific questions about usc; though i don't have any 1L experience, i can speak to job prospects, OCI, classes in general, the campus, etc. i hope you guys have a good time at law day.

Ti Malice

Postby Ti Malice » Mon Apr 08, 2013 7:24 pm

This is really not a serious question. Anyone voting for UCI is either an idiot or a troll. Go get a USC JD for less than $50K. And don't put much stock into any school's elaborate weekend infomercial.

boblawlob

Postby boblawlob » Tue Apr 09, 2013 1:25 am

Everyone saying UCI is not comparable to USC is straight up ignorant of how bad it can be at USC/UCLA if you are bottom 1/3rd of class and how UCI is stealing the best faculty from places including USC (Dean Chem included :lol: ) . At least at UCI, they really try to help you because your success is reflective upon them. But again, it remains to be seen how bad it can be for a UCI student if you are bottom of the class.

Having said that, OP should go to USC. USC at 14k/yr total is such an easy choice.

Lasers

Postby Lasers » Tue Apr 09, 2013 1:32 am

boblawlob wrote:Everyone saying UCI is not comparable to USC is straight up ignorant of how bad it can be at USC/UCLA if you are bottom 1/3rd of class and how UCI is stealing the best faculty from places including USC (Dean Chem included :lol: ) . At least at UCI, they really try to help you because your success is reflective upon them. But again, it remains to be seen how bad it can be for a UCI student if you are bottom of the class.

Having said that, OP should go to USC. USC at 14k/yr total is such an easy choice.

why wouldn't bottom 1/3rd at usc be better than bottom 1/3rd at uci?

99.9luft

Postby 99.9luft » Tue Apr 09, 2013 1:55 am

BruCam wrote:
99.9luft wrote:

Thanks!

ASW was great, no doubt. That's why this is a tough one. but as someone from LA, Bruin UG, the ties, prestige, and networking from SC for 1/5 of the sticker price is pretty F'en hard to say no to.

Unfortunately I can't let mashed potato martinis dictate my choice lol

:lol: haha, if mashed potatoes left a bigger impression on you than the smaller class size, engaged faculty, superior clerkship rate, and your interaction with faculty or current students, then I rest my case: be a trojan.

fwiw, the most common top 20 school that i heard current UCI law students say that they chose UCI over was USC (i talked to 15+ UCI law kids, apart from knowing less than 10 others before ASW) . About 3 kids chose UCI over UCLA (even with same $ considerations), and a couple of others chose it over Cornell, Columbia, Gtown, Michigan, etc.

This may not matter to you, but it impressed me.

Personally, I will may be choosing between CLS and UCI this summer, and that's a tough choice (for SoCal purposes as well). For me your choice is not as close. Perhaps it is because I know too many USC Law kids from various years who are complete dbags. Or maybe for another reason(s).

if you wanted Biglaw, i would say USC would have the edge. I don't know, however, if USC is known for its PD/DA work. Have you inquired about UCI's PD/DA routes? I may have overheard that they have had decent success placing students in OC/SD. Again, don't know much about PI or PD/DA area so make sure you research that specifically and not the intangibles like prestige and alumni network, both of which are important but not more so than knowing if your school has a paved path to a particular office like District Attorney's.

jbagelboy

Postby jbagelboy » Tue Apr 09, 2013 3:44 am

99.9luft wrote:
fwiw, the most common top 20 school that i heard current UCI law students say that they chose UCI over was USC (i talked to 15+ UCI law kids, apart from knowing less than 10 others before ASW) . About 3 kids chose UCI over UCLA (even with same $ considerations), and a couple of others chose it over Cornell, Columbia, Gtown, Michigan, etc.

This may not matter to you, but it impressed me.

Personally, I will may be choosing between CLS and UCI this summer, and that's a tough choice (for SoCal purposes as well). For me your choice is not as close. Perhaps it is because I know too many USC Law kids from various years who are complete dbags. Or maybe for another reason(s).

if you wanted Biglaw, i would say USC would have the edge. I don't know, however, if USC is known for its PD/DA work. Have you inquired about UCI's PD/DA routes? I may have overheard that they have had decent success placing students in OC/SD. Again, don't know much about PI or PD/DA area so make sure you research that specifically and not the intangibles like prestige and alumni network, both of which are important but not more so than knowing if your school has a paved path to a particular office like District Attorney's.

I know there are smart, driven kids going to uci law. and I know dean chemerinsky personally he's great. that said, and label me however you'd like, even in SoCal, even if your dream job is the closest damn law office to uci campus, Columbia law vs. uci is not a "choice" except for in strictly anecdotal scenarios where the individual has a uniquely personal reason for staying in irvine/socal for 3 years and is not able to move to new york.

dr123

Postby dr123 » Tue Apr 09, 2013 4:04 am

Where is Dr. Dre?

ManoftheHour

Postby ManoftheHour » Tue Apr 09, 2013 4:12 am

Don't worry, I've got him covered:

Dr. Dre wrote:don't go to TTTT you see irvine

RELIC

Postby RELIC » Tue Apr 09, 2013 4:27 am

99.9luft wrote:

Thanks!

An ASW won't get you a job. HTH

Return to “Choosing a Law School”