UT($$) v. Michigan

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

UT vs. Michigan

Michigan ($252,152)
24%
UT ($123,247)
76%

Total votes: 25

Lido997

UT($$) v. Michigan

Postby Lido997 » Mon Apr 08, 2013 2:11 pm

As the deadline approaches I'm pretty torn on how to proceed here. The two options I'm choosing between:

Michigan (sticker) = $252,152 Total
UT ($$) = $123,247 Total

I am hoping to get at least a little bit of money out of Michigan but am doubtful about that.

I have ties to CA/Chicago and would like to end up in CA after school but am not married to this.

If all things were equal I would choose Texas over Michigan because I felt like I would be a little happier there over the course of my studies, but I realize that isn't exactly the most credited reason to attend a school especially when I could see myself getting along just fine in Ann Arbor. That said, I am very nervous about not having Texas ties and being screwed if I don't do well enough to crack an out of state market. On the other end, I'd be doubling my debt by going to Michigan.

Other considerations:
- I am currently working at a firm in CA that likes Texas grads, I feel like I have a foot in the door here but am by no means guaranteed employment at graduation.
- I am not hellbent on BigLaw but the "planned" career trajectory is BigLaw --> in house, but maybe i'll find a different muse in school so who knows
- I look better in a scarf than cowboy boots
Last edited by Lido997 on Mon Apr 08, 2013 2:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.

shifty_eyed

Re: UT($$) v. Michigan

Postby shifty_eyed » Mon Apr 08, 2013 2:14 pm

Why not USC/UCLA if CA is the goal?

I don't think I would go to UT for that price if I wasn't set on TX, but UT does place a small but significant percentage in CA.

Lido997

Postby Lido997 » Mon Apr 08, 2013 2:16 pm

shifty_eyed wrote:Why not USC/UCLA if CA is the goal?

I don't think I would go to UT for that price if I wasn't set on TX, but UT does place a small but significant percentage in CA.

USC Waitlisted me and I got into UCLA but even after negotiating they won't give me any aid. I would rather pay a few thousand more and go to the better school in Michigan if I am going the sticker route.

philosoraptor

Postby philosoraptor » Mon Apr 08, 2013 2:19 pm

I'd say UT. People get CA all the time from here if they have ties. Michigan is just not worth a quarter-million. (Also, put up a poll.)

Either way, though, it's a pretty big risk.

sinfiery

Postby sinfiery » Mon Apr 08, 2013 2:22 pm

How do you feel about living in Texas or NYC if you can't get CA?

Order the following:
CA Biglaw
CA PI/Govt/Business/Midlaw/Any legal CA Job
NYC Biglaw
TX Biglaw
Starbucks in CA

Lido997

Postby Lido997 » Mon Apr 08, 2013 2:28 pm

sinfiery wrote:How do you feel about living in Texas or NYC if you can't get CA?

Order the following:
CA Biglaw
CA PI/Govt/Business/Midlaw/Any legal CA Job
NYC Biglaw
TX Biglaw
Starbucks in CA

0 issue ending up in Texas. I would like NYC a little less, but as mentioned I'm pretty flexible where I end up.

As for the ordering:
Starbucks in CA
CA BigLaw
TX BigLaw
NYC BigLaw/CA PI/Govt/Business/Midlaw

shifty_eyed

Postby shifty_eyed » Mon Apr 08, 2013 2:34 pm

well, you don't need to go to law school to work at Starbucks in CA, so I recommend not going 8)

sinfiery

Postby sinfiery » Mon Apr 08, 2013 2:39 pm

^^^ It has been decided. :lol:

But given your ordering and the astronomical debt difference, I'd pick UT here.

Also look into getting in-state tuition your 2l/3l year. It's a significant difference for UT

Gunnar Stahl

Postby Gunnar Stahl » Mon Apr 08, 2013 2:40 pm

I'd say Texas out of the two because Michigan simply isn't worth 250k.

Lido997

Postby Lido997 » Mon Apr 08, 2013 2:41 pm

shifty_eyed wrote:well, you don't need to go to law school to work at Starbucks in CA, so I recommend not going 8)

It's a very prestigious Starbucks 8)

WokeUpInACar

Postby WokeUpInACar » Mon Apr 08, 2013 2:46 pm

I'm just flabbergasted at UCLA giving you literally no aid with how much splitter love they've shown this cycle.

Lido997

Postby Lido997 » Mon Apr 08, 2013 2:47 pm

sinfiery wrote:^^^ It has been decided. :lol:

But given your ordering and the astronomical debt difference, I'd pick UT here.

Also look into getting in-state tuition your 2l/3l year. It's a significant difference for UT

Thanks for the advice, its much appreciated. They actually included In-state as part of the scholarship package, so that has already been achieved.

BigZuck

Postby BigZuck » Mon Apr 08, 2013 2:58 pm

Ugh, not loving either of these choices given your ties (or lack thereof) and geographical preferences.

No chance of a NU or Cornell with money?

Lido997

Postby Lido997 » Mon Apr 08, 2013 3:44 pm

BigZuck wrote:Ugh, not loving either of these choices given your ties (or lack thereof) and geographical preferences.

Waitlisted at NU and didn't apply to Cornell (stupid in retrospect but I have an irrational hatred of that school, same with Duke)

Lido997

Postby Lido997 » Mon Apr 08, 2013 8:18 pm

WokeUpInACar wrote:I'm just flabbergasted at UCLA giving you literally no aid with how much splitter love they've shown this cycle.

You and me both.

bizzybone1313

Postby bizzybone1313 » Mon Apr 08, 2013 8:29 pm

Lido997 wrote:
BigZuck wrote:Ugh, not loving either of these choices given your ties (or lack thereof) and geographical preferences.

Waitlisted at NU and didn't apply to Cornell (stupid in retrospect but I have an irrational hatred of that school, same with Duke)

+1 on the Duke front-- I can't stand that school, but I am going to apply anyways just in case. It was a very happy day for me when they lost in NCAA tournament.

BigZuck

Postby BigZuck » Mon Apr 08, 2013 9:44 pm

Lido997 wrote:

Not really sure how anyone can help you make a rational decision if you insist on being irrational.

Rahviveh

Postby Rahviveh » Mon Apr 08, 2013 9:48 pm

BigZuck wrote:
Lido997 wrote:

Not really sure how anyone can help you make a rational decision if you insist on being irrational.

Dook hating is perfectly rational 8)

GMGP

Postby GMGP » Mon Apr 08, 2013 10:59 pm

ChampagnePapi wrote:
BigZuck wrote:
Lido997 wrote:

Dook hating is perfectly rational 8)

Yeah the undergrad and basketball team shit on our law school rep. It sucks.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”