NYU v. UVA

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Which School?

NYU: 87.5k
42%
UVA: 105k In-State
53%
NU: 90k
4%
UMich: 75k
1%

Total votes: 85

trojandave

Re: NYU v. UVA

Postby trojandave » Tue Apr 09, 2013 3:22 am

NoodleyOne wrote:
Renne Walker wrote: You have a 122 LSAT and want us to believe you are heading to NYU. Seriously?

I have amazing softs.

Truth.

Congrats, btw! And if I remember correctly, you've been happy with UVA for a while now. If you really like it AND it's cheaper, I see no problem here. I hope they up the cash for you too

bizzybone1313

Postby bizzybone1313 » Tue Apr 09, 2013 3:29 am

trojandave wrote:
NoodleyOne wrote:
Renne Walker wrote: You have a 122 LSAT and want us to believe you are heading to NYU. Seriously?

I have amazing softs.

Truth.

Congrats, btw! And if I remember correctly, you've been happy with UVA for a while now. If you really like it AND it's cheaper, I see no problem here. I hope they up the cash for you too

Noodley is an OG on TLS....maybe you should post that one picture that says "suck it" for the guy that wonders how you got NYU with a 122.

NoodleyOne

Postby NoodleyOne » Wed Apr 24, 2013 5:18 pm

Sorry to bump this, but I just spoke with UVA and there won't be an increase in my award apparently. I'm kind of in a bind right now and don't really know what to do. I have already put my first deposit down at UVA, and can't afford double depositing in the efforts of negotiating later on... HELP!

twenty

Postby twenty » Wed Apr 24, 2013 5:22 pm

Settling on UVA is definitely not a bad option.

untar614

Postby untar614 » Wed Apr 24, 2013 5:32 pm

twentypercentmore wrote:Settling on UVA is definitely not a bad option.

yeah, as i just said in another thread NYU's biglaw+federal clerkship % is only 3 points higher than UVA. If it's just NYC you wanted I can see the NYU advantage, but if you may target other areas, I doubt it would be more difficult from UVA.

DistanceRunner

Postby DistanceRunner » Wed Apr 24, 2013 5:35 pm

As you know from my poll, I believe money should be a major factor in one's decision. But I will say, location is also a major factor for me. I have moved many times, and believe that the experience I have gained from living in various locations has been more educational than anything I have/will learn in a classroom. Living in NYC for three years, if you have not lived there before, will, to a greater degree than living in VA where you currently live, broaden your perspectives and tell you a lot about how you want to live your life in the future. Something to consider.

BigZuck

Postby BigZuck » Wed Apr 24, 2013 7:02 pm

Personally I vote UVA and its not even close.

Teflon_Don

Postby Teflon_Don » Wed Apr 24, 2013 7:09 pm

NYU is the best school because it's ranking is better. But NYU places horrible in clerkships just look at Class of 2012 data and none of the other classes' data

Br3v

Postby Br3v » Wed Apr 24, 2013 7:10 pm

Renne Walker wrote:You have a 122 LSAT and want us to believe you are heading to NYU. Seriously?

Can't tell if serious.

Eta: lol just voted and saw results, glad to see we have been able to provide you with a real clear front runner here.

NoodleyOne

Postby NoodleyOne » Wed Apr 24, 2013 7:18 pm

Teflon_Don wrote:NYU is the best school because it's ranking is better. But NYU places horrible in clerkships just look at Class of 2012 data and none of the other classes' data

Quality post. Thanks for the insight.

dixon02

Postby dixon02 » Wed Apr 24, 2013 7:20 pm

Bias alert: I got to UVA, so take this with a grain of salt.

I don't think this is close. I wonder if the poll is skewed because the numbers next to it represent the scholarships, which are close enough together that I could see it being a dead heat, versus cost of attendance, which is down in the body of the OP. I just don't see how it's a question that you'd take UVA (and I'd say the same thing about any of its peers) over NYU when the debt difference is $60k. I made a roughly similar decision and really didn't even think twice about it (and have no regrets).

NoodleyOne

Postby NoodleyOne » Wed Apr 24, 2013 7:32 pm

dixon02 wrote:Bias alert: I got to UVA, so take this with a grain of salt.

I don't think this is close. I wonder if the poll is skewed because the numbers next to it represent the scholarships, which are close enough together that I could see it being a dead heat, versus cost of attendance, which is down in the body of the OP. I just don't see how it's a question that you'd take UVA (and I'd say the same thing about any of its peers) over NYU when the debt difference is $60k. I made a roughly similar decision and really didn't even think twice about it (and have no regrets).

Yeah... considering I'm not dead set on NY after law school and would like a bit more flexibility, you're probably right. Ugh...

Fuck it, taking my talents to C'ville. Going to sleep on it to make sure it doesn't make me throw up, but if I wake up feeling right, I'll withdraw from NYU.

Tekrul

Postby Tekrul » Wed Apr 24, 2013 8:13 pm

Flip a coin and call it in mid-air. What do you fear for as you check to see its face?

Forgot where I read this but it was somewhere in TLS and damn its such a good method.

Rahviveh

Postby Rahviveh » Wed Apr 24, 2013 8:24 pm

Tekrul wrote:Flip a coin and call it in mid-air. What do you fear for as you check to see its face?

Forgot where I read this but it was somewhere in TLS and damn its such a good method.

Last time I heard it was from Arnold Rothstein

NoodleyOne

Postby NoodleyOne » Wed Apr 24, 2013 8:25 pm

ChampagnePapi wrote:
Tekrul wrote:Flip a coin and call it in mid-air. What do you fear for as you check to see its face?

I'm sold.

Lavitz

Postby Lavitz » Wed Apr 24, 2013 8:31 pm

ChampagnePapi wrote:

First time I heard it was from guinness:
guinness1547 wrote:Do the stupid coin flip thing. H is heads, S is tails. You'll know in the air what you want the coin to land on. That's your decision. Trust the gut.

oldschool123

Postby oldschool123 » Wed Apr 24, 2013 8:50 pm

NoodleyOne wrote:Sorry to bump this, but I just spoke with UVA and there won't be an increase in my award apparently. I'm kind of in a bind right now and don't really know what to do. I have already put my first deposit down at UVA, and can't afford double depositing in the efforts of negotiating later on... HELP!

NYU's deposit letter requiring you to tell them that you've withdrawn from all your other offers also prevents you from double depositing

NoodleyOne

Postby NoodleyOne » Wed Apr 24, 2013 9:20 pm

oldschool123 wrote:
NoodleyOne wrote:Sorry to bump this, but I just spoke with UVA and there won't be an increase in my award apparently. I'm kind of in a bind right now and don't really know what to do. I have already put my first deposit down at UVA, and can't afford double depositing in the efforts of negotiating later on... HELP!

NYU's deposit letter requiring you to tell them that you've withdrawn from all your other offers also prevents you from double depositing

I can't afford to double deposit anyway.

Rahviveh

Postby Rahviveh » Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:08 pm

Lavitz wrote:
ChampagnePapi wrote:

First time I heard it was from guinness:
guinness1547 wrote:Do the stupid coin flip thing. H is heads, S is tails. You'll know in the air what you want the coin to land on. That's your decision. Trust the gut.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6WYsM1nIbKs

Lavitz

Postby Lavitz » Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:23 pm

Ok.

Noodley, did you flip the coin or what?

NoodleyOne

Postby NoodleyOne » Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:44 pm

Lavitz wrote:Ok.

Noodley, did you flip the coin or what?

Nah, just slept on it and spoke with my girlfriend and family. My family was useless, my girlfriend was supportive of whatever I decide...

Taking my talents to Charlottesville. I figure 3 years at low speed before spending the rest of my life in the big city is a good idea.

Tekrul

Postby Tekrul » Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:47 pm

Grats on your choice, man. You had a tough one.

Lavitz

Postby Lavitz » Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:49 pm

NoodleyOne wrote:Nah, just slept on it and spoke with my girlfriend and family. My family was useless, my girlfriend was supportive of whatever I decide...

Taking my talents to Charlottesville.

Cool. Congrats, then!

NoodleyOne wrote:I figure 3 years at low speed before spending the rest of my life in the big city is a good idea.

+1

Return to “Choosing a Law School”