How is this legal? TU Law.

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
TheNextAmendment
Posts: 309
Joined: Tue Mar 12, 2013 10:44 pm

How is this legal? TU Law.

Postby TheNextAmendment » Mon Apr 08, 2013 11:36 am

I'm sure most of you who clicked the box on LSAC to receive notifications from schools received this email, but most likely deleted it without ever looking into it simply because its from the University of Tulsa. I like to read them just out of pure curiosity. An email titled "TU Law Has Strong 2012 Graduate Employment Rate" partly read:

"The University of Tulsa College of Law is a Top 100 Law School, having jumped 61 spots in the last 4 years, with a nationally ranked law library and solid graduate placement rates. Our 2012 employment rate of 91.8% is well above the national average of 82% as reported by the ABA. Further, TU Law is ranked 29th for full time, long-term positions where either bar passage is required or a JD is an advantage."

LST reports TU Law at 58.2% employment with a 12.7% under-employment score as seen here:
http://www.lstscorereports.com/?school=tulsa

1. Am I missing anything or are they really pulling stats out of nowhere?
2. How is this legal?
3. Is this common?


This thread was not meant to slam TU Law, but moreover to inquire about their claimed stats. Figured this was the right place for the thread, if not Mod obviously feel free to move it.
Thanks.
-thelastamendment

usfvictor
Posts: 153
Joined: Wed Nov 10, 2010 11:51 am

Re: How is this legal? TU Law.

Postby usfvictor » Mon Apr 08, 2013 11:45 am

look at the ABA information on their LST score report. They are technically not lying (as long as the stats are legit :shock: ) since they had a graduating class of 134 with 123 being employed = 91.7% employment rate. Remember with LST, they conclude their score % using a diff formula (Bar Passage Required – Part-Time Jobs – Short-Term Jobs – Solo Practitioners) / All Graduates.

dan k
Posts: 57
Joined: Sat Jan 05, 2013 3:37 am

Re: How is this legal? TU Law.

Postby dan k » Mon Apr 08, 2013 11:46 am

TheNextAmendment wrote:I'm sure most of you who clicked the box on LSAC to receive notifications from schools received this email, but most likely deleted it without ever looking into it simply because its from the University of Tulsa. I like to read them just out of pure curiosity. An email titled "TU Law Has Strong 2012 Graduate Employment Rate" partly read:

"The University of Tulsa College of Law is a Top 100 Law School, having jumped 61 spots in the last 4 years, with a nationally ranked law library and solid graduate placement rates. Our 2012 employment rate of 91.8% is well above the national average of 82% as reported by the ABA. Further, TU Law is ranked 29th for full time, long-term positions where either bar passage is required or a JD is an advantage."

LST reports TU Law at 58.2% employment with a 12.7% under-employment score as seen here:
http://www.lstscorereports.com/?school=tulsa

1. Am I missing anything or are they really pulling stats out of nowhere?
2. How is this legal?
3. Is this common?


This thread was not meant to slam TU Law, but moreover to inquire about their claimed stats. Figured this was the right place for the thread, if not Mod obviously feel free to move it.
Thanks.
-thelastamendment


I guess with JD advantage added in they technically wouldn't be "lying" ,but its hard to believe that with the recent demand for greater transparency and honesty about the state of the legal market there are still schools willing to push that old "90%" employment thing. or maybe its not hard to believe.

a whole bunch of law students would probably say no, this isn't legal (http://nymag.com/news/features/law-schools-2012-3/)

whether the courts agree I guess we'll find out.

PRgradBYU
Posts: 1419
Joined: Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:04 pm

Re: How is this legal? TU Law.

Postby PRgradBYU » Mon Apr 08, 2013 11:46 am

I imagine TU is factoring non-legal work and part-time jobs into its employment rate.

User avatar
patrickd139
Posts: 2883
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2009 8:53 pm

Re: How is this legal? TU Law.

Postby patrickd139 » Mon Apr 08, 2013 11:47 am

PRgradBYU wrote:I imagine TU is factoring non-legal work and part-time jobs into its employment rate.

This.

Also, lulz at "nationally ranked law library."

TheNextAmendment
Posts: 309
Joined: Tue Mar 12, 2013 10:44 pm

Re: How is this legal? TU Law.

Postby TheNextAmendment » Mon Apr 08, 2013 11:49 am

usfvictor wrote:look at the ABA information on their LST score report. They are technically not lying (as long as the stats are legit :shock: ) since they had a graduating class of 134 with 123 being employed = 91.7% employment rate. Remember with LST, they conclude their score % using a diff formula (Bar Passage Required – Part-Time Jobs – Short-Term Jobs – Solo Practitioners) / All Graduates.


Oh I see. So this is practically another one of those "Well yeah they're employed somewhere doing something so well count that even though they might not even be using their j.d" bs?
Tough love from Tulsa.

User avatar
reasonable_man
Posts: 2200
Joined: Thu Feb 12, 2009 5:41 pm

Re: How is this legal? TU Law.

Postby reasonable_man » Mon Apr 08, 2013 11:52 am

LST deserves a lot of credit for the work they do. If not for LST, it would be far more work for the average applicant to uncover the true employment outcomes at a school like this ... What a sham, I mean shame, I mean both.

User avatar
nickb285
Posts: 1500
Joined: Mon Jul 16, 2012 4:25 pm

Re: How is this legal? TU Law.

Postby nickb285 » Mon Apr 08, 2013 11:55 am

patrickd139 wrote:Also, lulz at "nationally ranked law library."


How many chairs does it have?




Return to “Choosing a Law School”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: southerngent14 and 4 guests