UT vs BC vs BU

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Where do I go?

Poll ended at Thu Apr 18, 2013 10:14 am

BC
5
33%
BU
3
20%
TX
7
47%
 
Total votes: 15

dkb17xzx
Posts: 405
Joined: Wed Jan 20, 2010 6:25 pm

UT vs BC vs BU

Postby dkb17xzx » Mon Apr 08, 2013 10:14 am

Help me choose!


COA includes interest on loans

UT COA = $140,00
BC / BU COA = $80,000

Things to consider:

- Strong ties to TX
- No MA ties
- Would prefer to do clerkship but honestly all I want is a decent legal job (I had dreams but they evaporated)
- I like Texas but no real preference on location
- Would like to go the govt. (state and/or federal) route at some point
- Previous UG debt: $40-50K (stupid, I know.... it was a moronic decision)


Pls don't quote.


Edit: Changed BU / BC to 80K from 76K

User avatar
patrickd139
Posts: 2883
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2009 8:53 pm

Re: UT vs BC vs BU

Postby patrickd139 » Mon Apr 08, 2013 10:20 am

Neither of those schools seems worth attending at those prices, specifically combined with your student loan debt from UG. You should summarily cross BU/BC from your list. It's expensive and you have no ties to the market it serves. Which is one of the most parochial major legal markets in the entire U.S. Just don't.

Retake and reapply for larger scholarships, find lower ranked schools to attend for free, or do something else with your money and time over the next three years.

dkb17xzx
Posts: 405
Joined: Wed Jan 20, 2010 6:25 pm

Re: UT vs BC vs BU

Postby dkb17xzx » Mon Apr 08, 2013 10:24 am

Already took the LSAT 3 times - scored the same despite scoring higher on the PT's. I'm a few years out of UG so don't wanna wait another 1-2 years.

I could bring the 140K for UT down to 130K but I realize that wouldn't make much a difference.

de5igual
Posts: 1463
Joined: Mon Dec 08, 2008 11:52 pm

Re: UT vs BC vs BU

Postby de5igual » Mon Apr 08, 2013 10:33 am

Is SMU or UH full ride an option?

User avatar
patrickd139
Posts: 2883
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2009 8:53 pm

Re: UT vs BC vs BU

Postby patrickd139 » Mon Apr 08, 2013 10:36 am

dkb17xzx wrote:Already took the LSAT 3 times - scored the same despite scoring higher on the PT's. I'm a few years out of UG so don't wanna wait another 1-2 years.

I could bring the 140K for UT down to 130K but I realize that wouldn't make much a difference.

I understand your hesitance to delay, but I still think those options at those prices are not a good idea at all. Same advice: retake and reapply, go to a lower ranked school for free (or at least significantly, significantly cheaper than your current options), or explore another career path.

Going to a law school isn't some constitutional right, nor is it a even a remotely good idea for the vast majority of people.

dkb17xzx
Posts: 405
Joined: Wed Jan 20, 2010 6:25 pm

Re: UT vs BC vs BU

Postby dkb17xzx » Mon Apr 08, 2013 10:36 am

f0bolous wrote:Is SMU or UH full ride an option?



No

User avatar
Ruxin1
Posts: 1284
Joined: Fri Jul 23, 2010 3:12 pm

Re: UT vs BC vs BU

Postby Ruxin1 » Mon Apr 08, 2013 10:38 am

dkb17xzx wrote:
f0bolous wrote:Is SMU or UH full ride an option?



No


Did you not apply there?

dkb17xzx
Posts: 405
Joined: Wed Jan 20, 2010 6:25 pm

Re: UT vs BC vs BU

Postby dkb17xzx » Mon Apr 08, 2013 11:07 am

Yea...just no full scholly

Also, if I go to school in TX / take out money for schools in TX, it'll be UT. UT, from what I hear, dominates by a mile.

Big Dog
Posts: 1191
Joined: Wed Dec 16, 2009 9:34 pm

Re: UT vs BC vs BU

Postby Big Dog » Mon Apr 08, 2013 11:17 am

If you wish to settle down in the NE, than either Boston school will get you there. If you wish to remain in Texas, UT is a no-brainer. But, agree with the idea of retake -- UT at a discount is a much better deal. But with that undergrad debt, a retake is a no-brainer.

Clerkships are for the LS stars and the chances of that happening are slim. Ditto Govt jobs.

dkb17xzx
Posts: 405
Joined: Wed Jan 20, 2010 6:25 pm

Re: UT vs BC vs BU

Postby dkb17xzx » Mon Apr 08, 2013 11:21 am

patrickd139 wrote:
dkb17xzx wrote:Already took the LSAT 3 times - scored the same despite scoring higher on the PT's. I'm a few years out of UG so don't wanna wait another 1-2 years.

I could bring the 140K for UT down to 130K but I realize that wouldn't make much a difference.

I understand your hesitance to delay, but I still think those options at those prices are not a good idea at all. Same advice: retake and reapply, go to a lower ranked school for free (or at least significantly, significantly cheaper than your current options), or explore another career path.

Going to a law school isn't some constitutional right, nor is it a even a remotely good idea for the vast majority of people.



Yea I know and I do the see the point you are making. Right now I'm looking for advice on choosing one of the three options. After all is said and done, if I don't think the investment is worth it, I may not go at all. I just wanna see what TLS thinks about these options in particular.

User avatar
Ruxin1
Posts: 1284
Joined: Fri Jul 23, 2010 3:12 pm

Re: UT vs BC vs BU

Postby Ruxin1 » Mon Apr 08, 2013 11:23 am

Do you qualify for PAYE?

User avatar
patrickd139
Posts: 2883
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2009 8:53 pm

Re: UT vs BC vs BU

Postby patrickd139 » Mon Apr 08, 2013 11:37 am

dkb17xzx wrote:
patrickd139 wrote:
dkb17xzx wrote:Already took the LSAT 3 times - scored the same despite scoring higher on the PT's. I'm a few years out of UG so don't wanna wait another 1-2 years.

I could bring the 140K for UT down to 130K but I realize that wouldn't make much a difference.

I understand your hesitance to delay, but I still think those options at those prices are not a good idea at all. Same advice: retake and reapply, go to a lower ranked school for free (or at least significantly, significantly cheaper than your current options), or explore another career path.

Going to a law school isn't some constitutional right, nor is it a even a remotely good idea for the vast majority of people.

Yea I know and I do the see the point you are making. Right now I'm looking for advice on choosing one of the three options. After all is said and done, if I don't think the investment is worth it, I may not go at all. I just wanna see what TLS thinks about these options in particular.

If you're just looking for the advice that you want, you're bound to find someone on this site to tell you why one of those schools is for you. It won't be me, though.

Imma sit this one out and stay in the "these are not worth the investment" camp. GL.

dkb17xzx
Posts: 405
Joined: Wed Jan 20, 2010 6:25 pm

Re: UT vs BC vs BU

Postby dkb17xzx » Mon Apr 08, 2013 11:50 am

patrickd139 wrote:
dkb17xzx wrote:
patrickd139 wrote:
dkb17xzx wrote:Already took the LSAT 3 times - scored the same despite scoring higher on the PT's. I'm a few years out of UG so don't wanna wait another 1-2 years.

I could bring the 140K for UT down to 130K but I realize that wouldn't make much a difference.

I understand your hesitance to delay, but I still think those options at those prices are not a good idea at all. Same advice: retake and reapply, go to a lower ranked school for free (or at least significantly, significantly cheaper than your current options), or explore another career path.

Going to a law school isn't some constitutional right, nor is it a even a remotely good idea for the vast majority of people.

Yea I know and I do the see the point you are making. Right now I'm looking for advice on choosing one of the three options. After all is said and done, if I don't think the investment is worth it, I may not go at all. I just wanna see what TLS thinks about these options in particular.

If you're just looking for the advice that you want, you're bound to find someone on this site to tell you why one of those schools is for you. It won't be me, though.

Imma sit this one out and stay in the "these are not worth the investment" camp. GL.



And I appreciate the honest advice. Thank you

dkb17xzx
Posts: 405
Joined: Wed Jan 20, 2010 6:25 pm

Re: UT vs BC vs BU

Postby dkb17xzx » Mon Apr 08, 2013 11:52 am

Ruxin1 wrote:Do you qualify for PAYE?



I'm sorry, but I have no idea what that is. I googled it and I got "Pay As You Earn" Tax. Not sure how that pertains to me. Can you please explain?

BigZuck
Posts: 10875
Joined: Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:53 am

Re: UT vs BC vs BU

Postby BigZuck » Mon Apr 08, 2013 12:44 pm

Neither. BC/BU make no sense given your ties and UT is too expensive. Got to bring that closer to 100K IMO.

Informative
Posts: 429
Joined: Mon Apr 05, 2010 6:10 pm

Re: UT vs BC vs BU

Postby Informative » Mon Apr 08, 2013 2:40 pm

If you don't care, go with BC/BU because they are much cheaper. BC is a little more national than BU but both are very good schools that place well in Biglaw. BC actually places better in biglaw than Texas.

http://www.law.com/jsp/nlj/PubArticleNL ... 0308143727

Edit: More recent edition below:
http://www.law.com/jsp/nlj/PubArticleNL ... ctive=true

rad lulz
Posts: 9844
Joined: Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:53 pm

Re: UT vs BC vs BU

Postby rad lulz » Mon Apr 08, 2013 2:42 pm

I wouldn't go to any of those schools at those prices when taking into account your UG debt (which will also be accumulating interest)

User avatar
sinfiery
Posts: 3308
Joined: Thu Jul 14, 2011 2:55 am

Re: UT vs BC vs BU

Postby sinfiery » Mon Apr 08, 2013 2:44 pm

If you don't go to law school, what are your options?

dkb17xzx
Posts: 405
Joined: Wed Jan 20, 2010 6:25 pm

Re: UT vs BC vs BU

Postby dkb17xzx » Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:36 am

sinfiery wrote:If you don't go to law school, what are your options?



That's the problem...not very many. My bet would be that I'll manage to snag a 40K job (think admin associate type gigs) with no real upward mobility.




Return to “Choosing a Law School”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: erinkh and 2 guests