Suffolk, UMiami, Catholic, or Syracuse

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Schools

Suffolk
30%
UMiami
26%
Catholic
15%
Syracuse
30%

Total votes: 27

jayman12

Re: Suffolk, UMiami, Catholic, or Syracuse

Postby jayman12 » Sun Apr 07, 2013 10:03 pm

romothesavior wrote:
jayman12 wrote:
rad lulz wrote:
jayman12 wrote:Dont listen to these negative people they won't help you. Kid posts almost 20 times a day saying the same shit to people. You're just hearing the same opinions from the same people who sit on their computers all day trying to make themselves feel better.

Maybe because those people shouldn't go to law school either.

Also I have no idea what I am (should) be feeling bad about

Haha I didn't say you have anything to feel bad about, but I do think posting the same negative advice makes you feel better. All I'm saying is maybe give advice OP can use based on their options, or just go out and get some fresh air for once

The advice OP can use, and the advice OP needs to hear, is not to go to these law schools. This isn't a place for validation.

If somebody told me "I'm going to kill myself, should I use a knife or a gun?" or "Should I light a million dollars on fire or put it in a woodchipper?" my reaction is going to be "Don't do it." They don't get to go "NO! These are my options, tell me which is better!" and expect me to give them a serious answer. Similarly, when someone is considering career/financial suicide, I'm not going to confine myself to the shittastic options they put on the table. I'm going to try to talk them out of it.

Thats a pretty good analogy or way to think of it honestly. But I think it's pretty simple to express your opinion of retake/ don't go without calling these schools dumps or shitty etcc....and doing so on numerous threads constantly throughout the day. I think at the very least we should let this all go, and focus on OP and any advice that might be out there for them

jayman12

Postby jayman12 » Sun Apr 07, 2013 10:04 pm

My vote would be for suffolk PT or Miami

anticule

Postby anticule » Sun Apr 07, 2013 10:13 pm

don't listen to these people giving you valid information on how not to f*ck up the rest of your life. jesus some people are dense.

DoveBodyWash

Postby DoveBodyWash » Mon Apr 08, 2013 12:29 am

I'm a Boston native and a Syracuse undergrad alum. I know a good number of Boston lawyers and older boston-area law students. I also know a lot of Syracuse law students/recent grads. I dunno about the other options, but Syracuse won't do a good job at getting you to Boston. Most of the entry level attorneys with decent jobs (jobs that pay a desirable salary) are:

-T14 and T30 grads who had Boston ties
-Harvard/BC/BU grads
-IP lawyers who went to a lower part-time program (like Suffolk). Their law degree was subsidized by a firm since their science degree is really what they're being hired for.
-Foreign attorneys

I didn't bother reading the rest this thread after the first few "go and retake"s but you should definitely re-consider attending any of these schools.

FWIW I'll put my opinion on how you should prioritize these schools if you're truly set on attending one of them, after all it's your choice.

Syracuse>>>>>Suffolk>>UMiami>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Catholic

At least Syracuse is an old, major university in the Northeast that has some semblance brand power. It probably won't get you to Boston but it will open more doors than Suffolk or Catholic. I know nothing about UMiami, i only placed it behind Suffolk because you wanted Boston

Pneumonia

Postby Pneumonia » Mon Apr 08, 2013 8:00 am

jayman12 wrote: Thats a pretty good analogy or way to think of it honestly. But I think it's pretty simple to express your opinion of retake/ don't go without calling these schools dumps or shitty etcc....and doing so on numerous threads constantly throughout the day. I think at the very least we should let this all go, and focus on OP and any advice that might be out there for them

The repetition, if not explicitly intended for, is beneficial for posterity's sake. People google this stuff all day long without posting, and if this thread pops a year from now for some uninformed 0L with a similar question then for them all of this will be new info.

reasonable_man

Postby reasonable_man » Mon Apr 08, 2013 8:11 am

natalia44 wrote:Currently trying to decide and don't waste your time if you're gonna say retake please.... I want to work in Boston after school:

I currently work in financial services industry and am paid poorly/not learning anything useful. Options are Suffolk, UMiami, Catholic, and Syracuse (all full ride). Am highly considering JD/MBA route. Thanks.

You want to work in Boston, yet you are choosing between 4 schools, three of which have zero appeal in Boston? UMiami has some influence in certain parts of Florida, Syracuse is great if you want to work in Binghamton or Rochester defending DUIs and speeding tickets, and Catholic is going to have some pull in DC or maybe some (very limited) public interest placements outside of DC... Clearly these are not good options.

Of those terrible choices, the least terrrible choice is to attend Suffolk because it will at least have some pull in Boston. That said, all 4 are a waste.

froglee

Postby froglee » Mon Apr 08, 2013 9:52 am

Does Catholic mean University of Catholic??

BCLS

Postby BCLS » Mon Apr 08, 2013 9:59 am

Boston native here. I go to BC law. Suffolk has a terrible reputation here in Boston. Don't go there.

bananapeanutbutter

Postby bananapeanutbutter » Mon Apr 08, 2013 10:05 pm

idk why people feel there's a constitutional right to be a lawyer, but not to be a doctor.

reasonable_man

Postby reasonable_man » Tue Apr 09, 2013 4:38 pm

bananapeanutbutter wrote:idk why people feel there's a constitutional right to be a lawyer, but not to be a doctor.

They do. See, Caribbean Medical Schools.

DoveBodyWash

Postby DoveBodyWash » Tue Apr 09, 2013 4:39 pm

reasonable_man wrote:
bananapeanutbutter wrote:idk why people feel there's a constitutional right to be a lawyer, but not to be a doctor.

See D.O. schools

untar614

Postby untar614 » Tue Apr 09, 2013 6:59 pm

cusenation wrote:
reasonable_man wrote:

See D.O. schools

Not really an appropriate comparison. D.O. >>> Caribbean

Caribbean is truly the example of people thinking they are entitled to be a doctor (and most of them will never actually get US residencies)

jayman12

Postby jayman12 » Wed Apr 10, 2013 9:31 pm

bump

natalia44

Postby natalia44 » Wed Apr 10, 2013 9:50 pm

What the hey is everybody talking about Carribbean Medical School? This is about law schools and learned scholars

latnem

Postby latnem » Wed Apr 10, 2013 10:34 pm

I'm graduating from Suffolk in about 3 weeks and let me tell you, I only know 2 people with jobs lined up. One person is literally the number one person in the class ( going to big law) and the other was SBA President and on law review (Navy JAG). I don't know everyone in my graduating class, so obviously others that I don't know probably have jobs, but the general sense in the halls is that not many people have jobs lined up. The Dean even sent out an email last week trying to explain that graduating without a job is normal in this economy. I got accepted to U of Miami back in 2010 and if I could do it over again I would have gone to U of Miami, but I decided against it since Suffolk offered me money. Suffolk is well known in Boston, but we are behind BU, BC, and Northeastern in the hiring pecking order. The only place Suffolk grads may have an advantage over the other schools is with the Suffolk County DA Office. Suffolk grads dominate those positions and tend to hire their own. Also, I have found that unless you are from Boston/MA, people look at you with some suspicion when applying for jobs. The Boston legal market is insanely small and a tight community. It is difficult to crack even going to school out here (at least from Suffolk). I would avoid Suffolk unless you have a substantial scholarship. I know you said you want to work in Boston, but Suffolk probably wont get you a job out here absent being top of the class and on law review. Go with Miami...you'll thank me come winter (and graduation).

bananapeanutbutter

Postby bananapeanutbutter » Wed Apr 10, 2013 11:49 pm

latnem wrote:I'm graduating from Suffolk in about 3 weeks and let me tell you, I only know 2 people with jobs lined up. One person is literally the number one person in the class ( going to big law) and the other was SBA President and on law review (Navy JAG). I don't know everyone in my graduating class, so obviously others that I don't know probably have jobs, but the general sense in the halls is that not many people have jobs lined up. The Dean even sent out an email last week trying to explain that graduating without a job is normal in this economy. I got accepted to U of Miami back in 2010 and if I could do it over again I would have gone to U of Miami, but I decided against it since Suffolk offered me money. Suffolk is well known in Boston, but we are behind BU, BC, and Northeastern in the hiring pecking order. The only place Suffolk grads may have an advantage over the other schools is with the Suffolk County DA Office. Suffolk grads dominate those positions and tend to hire their own. Also, I have found that unless you are from Boston/MA, people look at you with some suspicion when applying for jobs. The Boston legal market is insanely small and a tight community. It is difficult to crack even going to school out here (at least from Suffolk). I would avoid Suffolk unless you have a substantial scholarship. I know you said you want to work in Boston, but Suffolk probably wont get you a job out here absent being top of the class and on law review. Go with Miami...you'll thank me come winter (and graduation).

lol at ever spending $ for that. those odds are ridiculous.

NoodleyOne

Postby NoodleyOne » Wed Apr 10, 2013 11:56 pm

Why create an account at top law schools asking about shitty law schools?

jayman12

Postby jayman12 » Thu Apr 11, 2013 12:35 am

NoodleyOne wrote:Why create an account at top law schools asking about shitty law schools?

It must be so hard for you to even read threads like this, that you gotta go putting people down on the internet. Seriously go out, get some fresh air, socialize, and worry about yourself

Clearly

Postby Clearly » Thu Apr 11, 2013 12:46 am

jayman12 wrote:
NoodleyOne wrote:Why create an account at top law schools asking about shitty law schools?

It must be so hard for you to even read threads like this, that you gotta go putting people down on the internet. Seriously go out, get some fresh air, socialize, and worry about yourself

Oh my God! Relax! Do you know what student loan payments look like!? $2,000+ a month for a very long time. Someone's planning fiscal suicide here and is being told the truth that could save him/her from crushing debt, never owning a home, etc; Your here yelling at everyone that's trying to save this person! It's not Monopoly money and it's not about prestige/elitism. These schools will RUIN SOMEONE'S LIFE!

jayman12

Postby jayman12 » Thu Apr 11, 2013 12:50 am

Please tell me how this is trying to save the person?

Pope Francis

Postby Pope Francis » Thu Apr 11, 2013 12:54 am

You should go to ANY med school (including DO school). Do not go to law school. /thread

Clearly

Postby Clearly » Thu Apr 11, 2013 1:19 am

jayman12 wrote:

I'm not specifically referencing this post. The entire thread you've countered with basically "Don't listen to the haters" every time someone provided solid advice.

NoodleyOne

Postby NoodleyOne » Thu Apr 11, 2013 1:21 am

jayman12 wrote:

Who said I was trying to save anyone? My sympathy for people who make awful decisions with the wealth of data available now is pretty much nil.

And really? The "internet loser" attack? Fuck yourself.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Thu Apr 11, 2013 10:34 am

jayman12 wrote:

I'll +1 this one actually. Noodley if you're not going to even pretend to be helpful then get out of the Choosing forums. TLS has helped deter countless people from terrible decisions, and its in threads like these that I think TLS does the most good. I don't mind bluntness, but chiming in just to play asshole distracts from good advice and turns people off from listening to the advice they desperately need. Knock it off.

OP, you are doing yourself a tremendous disservice going to these schools. Retake or don't go.

NoodleyOne

Postby NoodleyOne » Thu Apr 11, 2013 10:47 am

romothesavior wrote:
jayman12 wrote:

I'll +1 this one actually. Noodley if you're not going to even pretend to be helpful then get out of the Choosing forums. TLS has helped deter countless people from terrible decisions, and its in threads like these that I think TLS does the most good. I don't mind bluntness, but chiming in just to play asshole distracts from good advice and turns people off from listening to the advice they desperately need. Knock it off.

OP, you are doing yourself a tremendous disservice going to these schools. Retake or don't go.

Shitty attitude is better than the "follow your dreams" fuckers that come in here.

Edit: At the same time, fair enough. Encouraging people to not make terrible decisions is a good cause, and one that TLS does well. It just boggles my mind the lack of research people do and the special snowflake syndrome many have to justify their bad decisions. So I'll ease up.

OP, don't go to any of these schools.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”