Michigan v. Northwestern

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Michigan or Northwestern?

Michigan
29%
Northwestern
71%

Total votes: 58

MotorcadePolder

Michigan v. Northwestern

Postby MotorcadePolder » Sun Apr 07, 2013 6:38 pm

Hi all, long-time lurker etc. I'm choosing between Michigan and Northwestern and the NU deposit deadline is this Friday so I don't have much time to make a decision.

Some considerations
-I've got $ at both, and more at NU, and I've saved some money...but given the higher COL in Chicago and my financial situation, I'd graduate from either with ~$50K of debt, so there's no real monetary advantage over either.
-I went to undergrad at Michigan, and I grew up in Chicago, so I already know what it's like to live in either area. Considering only the location, I'd much rather live in Chicago than Ann Arbor again.
-I visited Michigan's ASW a few weeks ago and absolutely loved it - Ann Arbor aside, I loved the people I met, the professors, the buildings, etc. - I could really see myself going there. I wasn't able to get off work to go to NU for their ASW and I don't know anyone who goes there. But I've only heard good things about the student body, although I would assume it's a pretty different group of people than Michigan given the older student body, etc. I'm three years out of undergrad myself.
-In terms of student life, I would think Michigan would be more "fun" - I'm kind of concerned about everyone at NU being married/having families/going home at the end of the day and staying there versus everyone being on campus in Ann Arbor. I'm sure that's an exaggeration but, I'm the difference is still there probably, right?
-Trying to get BigLaw, so I know NU's the clear winner there, but I'm worried if I change my mind an NU degree wouldn't be versatile enough if I change my mind - as you can see, I'm not going to be graduating with too much debt and could afford a lower salary if something came my way.
-Also would want a shot at a federal clerkship. The statistics say Michigan's the winner there, but I was reading in the NU questions thread about a new clerkship advisor, so maybe in a few years they'll be more equal in terms of prospects.
-No huge preference as to where I want to practice, but as you can see I'm from the Midwest and think I'd be perfectly happy to stay in Chicago.

I'm sure I'd be happy at either and as you can see there's no huge factor I could make a decision over. Just interested in your thoughts. Thanks!

Doorkeeper

Re: Michigan v. Northwestern

Postby Doorkeeper » Sun Apr 07, 2013 6:46 pm

1. It sounds like your environmental preference is to live in Chicago.
2. It sounds like you want to work in biglaw.
3. You should not be making this decision based upon federal clerkship because both schools have similar stats (8% for Mich and 6.5% for Northwestern). Both schools have professors that can get you a federal clerkship if you get close to them.

You can't really make a wrong choice here, but I would lean slightly towards Northwestern given that you would prefer Chicago and that you want biglaw. I would highly suggest that you visit Northwestern this week before the deadline to see if you like the atmosphere at the school.
Last edited by Doorkeeper on Sun Apr 07, 2013 6:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

arizonairish

Postby arizonairish » Sun Apr 07, 2013 6:46 pm

Easy, let Michigan's performance tomorrow night dictate the choice.

guinness1547

Postby guinness1547 » Sun Apr 07, 2013 6:54 pm

I did both ASW's and even though the student body at Northwestern was older they definitely seemed like they knew how to go out and have a good time. There were also quite a few current students who told me they chose Northwestern above Michigan. In fact, they didn't seem too fond of Michigan or Ann Arbor at all.

MotorcadePolder

Postby MotorcadePolder » Sun Apr 07, 2013 10:43 pm

Doorkeeper wrote:1. It sounds like your environmental preference is to live in Chicago.
2. It sounds like you want to work in biglaw.
3. You should not be making this decision based upon federal clerkship because both schools have similar stats (8% for Mich and 6.5% for Northwestern). Both schools have professors that can get you a federal clerkship if you get close to them.

You can't really make a wrong choice here, but I would lean slightly towards Northwestern given that you would prefer Chicago and that you want biglaw. I would highly suggest that you visit Northwestern this week before the deadline to see if you like the atmosphere at the school.

Thanks. I just really wish there was some obvious reason for me to pick one over the other, but even the COA's the same...

Micdiddy

Postby Micdiddy » Sun Apr 07, 2013 10:48 pm

I'm confronted with the same exact decision as you. I think Big Law placement is a pretty good reason.

Samara

Postby Samara » Sun Apr 07, 2013 10:49 pm

I don't really see what is in Michigan's favor here. I guarantee you the NU social life will not be worse than Michigan. Will likely be better because there is way more to do in Chicago than AA. NU places much better in Chicago and better generally. Seems easy enough to me. :P

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Sun Apr 07, 2013 10:54 pm

I'd even venture to say that NU has the advantage in social scene. In AA, you can party like an undergrad or...stay home. At NU, you can party like an undergrad or do any of the other bajillion things available to do in Chicago.

untar614

Postby untar614 » Sun Apr 07, 2013 10:57 pm

After attending Northwestern's ASW, I think the older student body thing is overplayed. Most of them are, like you and me, within 4 years of undergrad. There were a few people in their 30s with kids, but it was hardly a large chunk. On the flip side, some of the professors were surprisingly young. And after living in a college town for 6 years, I'm so glad to be moving to a real city.

Docreviewsux

Postby Docreviewsux » Mon Apr 08, 2013 10:52 am

The northwestern grad sitting next to me at doc review says no. She's really bright too.

jbagelboy

Postby jbagelboy » Mon Apr 08, 2013 5:55 pm

Docreviewsux wrote:The northwestern grad sitting next to me at doc review says no. She's really bright too.

sigh

Postby 09042014 » Mon Apr 08, 2013 5:56 pm

Docreviewsux wrote:The northwestern grad sitting next to me at doc review says no. She's really bright too.

We count that as big law.

dissonance1848

Postby dissonance1848 » Mon Apr 08, 2013 6:01 pm

Let's see..... slightly more money at NU than UM, have WE, want to get a job....hmmm..... gee, I wonder?!

Northwestern.

GMGP

Postby GMGP » Mon Apr 08, 2013 11:19 pm

NW places awesome in biglaw and the vibe I got was that it has a pretty social student body despite being older. Michigan just does not have the placement to provide job security IMO.

feralinfant

Postby feralinfant » Mon Apr 08, 2013 11:21 pm

will be attending NU in the fall. I don't have a wife or kids....that I know of.

guinness1547

Postby guinness1547 » Tue Apr 09, 2013 1:38 am

feralinfant wrote:will be attending NU in the fall. I don't have a wife or kids....that I know of.

Those late nights in undergrad can be brutal.

Cobretti

Postby Cobretti » Tue Apr 09, 2013 1:48 am

Clearly this objective and completely unbiased sampling of TLSers are correct in leaning towards NU.

rayiner

Postby rayiner » Tue Apr 09, 2013 1:48 am

There is a social life advantage to Northwestern which is this: a much higher percentage of people who spent just long enough in the work force (1-3 years) to know that it blows and want to relive the booze-fueled days of undergrad again for three more years.

MotorcadePolder

Postby MotorcadePolder » Tue Apr 09, 2013 9:22 am

GMGP wrote:NW places awesome in biglaw and the vibe I got was that it has a pretty social student body despite being older. Michigan just does not have the placement to provide job security IMO.

I read a lot on here that Michigan's lack of a home market is hurting it now after the legal crash too (and I also read a lot that that's not true and it's self-selection into PI or w/e)...think it's true?

MotorcadePolder

Postby MotorcadePolder » Tue Apr 09, 2013 9:22 am

arizonairish wrote:Easy, let Michigan's performance tomorrow night dictate the choice.

lol

GMGP

Postby GMGP » Tue Apr 09, 2013 9:31 am

MotorcadePolder wrote:
GMGP wrote:NW places awesome in biglaw and the vibe I got was that it has a pretty social student body despite being older. Michigan just does not have the placement to provide job security IMO.

I read a lot on here that Michigan's lack of a home market is hurting it now after the legal crash too (and I also read a lot that that's not true and it's self-selection into PI or w/e)...think it's true?

I don't think it is lack of a home market, Duke and UVA don't have a true home market either and both of them are fine. I think it is just lack of hustle and connections from career services. The selection into PI might just be because they can't go to biglaw.

Samara

Postby Samara » Tue Apr 09, 2013 9:38 am

MotorcadePolder wrote:

Pretty sure it's not self-selection into PI. PI is not something you just self-select into when the market is bad. PI jobs are just as competitive, if not more so, than big firm jobs.

oaken

Postby oaken » Tue Apr 09, 2013 9:48 am

also interested in this, and pretty surprised at the current poll results, would have guessed they would be more even

Postby 09042014 » Tue Apr 09, 2013 3:17 pm

Northwestern 1L's don't have assigned seats at lunch. And don't live in a huge dorm together (well, McDorm kinda).

Return to “Choosing a Law School”