ASU vs U of A

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
NoodleyOne

Re: ASU vs U of A

Postby NoodleyOne » Wed Apr 17, 2013 10:40 pm

gaud wrote:
vrmsoccer wrote:And, as for retaking, I don't really think I could improve that much.

:|

Then that's stupid. You don't even have to improve "that much". Literally one more point on the LSAT opens up the T-14, and anything beyond that is gravy.

jbagelboy

Postby jbagelboy » Wed Apr 17, 2013 10:47 pm

NoodleyOne wrote:
jbagelboy wrote:Wow -- go to UCLA w/ scholarship. Congrats. That raises your chances of employment in CA by a huge margin. Its a different class of school

... Stop giving advice on here. It's always bad.

Has the OP explained why retaking isn't an option? A few more points opens up the T-14 and big schollys at USC/UCLA.

Clearly, OPs should generally retake when considering schools with high underemployment figures and debt. I post assuming the OP is choosing b/t options listed. A diversity of opinions is useful, thats how these forums contribute to peoples choices and help them think about the options critically. None of us have exclusive knowledge.

I thought we had a truce, why are you still trolling me when I am only ever polite

keviiiiiiiiiiiin

Postby keviiiiiiiiiiiin » Wed Apr 17, 2013 10:48 pm

patrickd139 wrote:
keviiiiiiiiiiiin wrote:
vrmsoccer wrote:Okay guys, interesting twist happened fairly recently. I got accepted to UCLA, though only with a scholarship of 15k a year. Does that change any opinions?

Have you visited the three schools? I toured ASU and U of A last week and was shocked at how different the two schools felt, especially considering the similarities at the surface (big public university, regional schools, in the desert). I know most people don't care, but if I'm spending 3 years somewhere I want to like it. How averse to debt are you? Do you like living in LA? How much more expensive will it be with CoL?

What the school "feels like" and where OP wants to spend three years are is absolutely useless metrics in OP's decision.

If OP wants to work in California, OP needs to go to school in California. If the schools OP got into in California are either too expensive or place too poorly, then OP needs to up his/her numbers and apply again (maybe even just earlier) in a later cycle. The point of law school is to get a job. It's professional school, not vacation school.

OP mentioned he doesn't mind staying in AZ for awhile. What are his chances of moving to CA after 5+ years of firm work in Phx?

NoodleyOne

Postby NoodleyOne » Wed Apr 17, 2013 10:54 pm

jbagelboy wrote:
NoodleyOne wrote:
jbagelboy wrote:Wow -- go to UCLA w/ scholarship. Congrats. That raises your chances of employment in CA by a huge margin. Its a different class of school

... Stop giving advice on here. It's always bad.

Has the OP explained why retaking isn't an option? A few more points opens up the T-14 and big schollys at USC/UCLA.

Clearly, OPs should generally retake when considering schools with high underemployment figures and debt. I post assuming the OP is choosing b/t options listed. A diversity of opinions is useful, thats how these forums contribute to peoples choices and help them think about the options critically. None of us have exclusive knowledge.

I thought we had a truce, why are you still trolling me when I am only ever polite

I'm not trolling you. I'm telling you to stop giving bad advice.

jbagelboy

Postby jbagelboy » Wed Apr 17, 2013 11:00 pm

NoodleyOne wrote:
jbagelboy wrote:

Okay -- more constructively then, at what price do you think UCLA is worth attending for someone that wants to practice in CA?

BigZuck

Postby BigZuck » Wed Apr 17, 2013 11:05 pm

jbagelboy wrote:
NoodleyOne wrote:
jbagelboy wrote:

Okay -- more constructively then, at what price do you think UCLA is worth attending for someone that wants to practice in CA?

*disclaimer* I am not Noodley

I think about 120K or below is appropriate.

patrickd139

Postby patrickd139 » Wed Apr 17, 2013 11:10 pm

keviiiiiiiiiiiin wrote:
patrickd139 wrote:
keviiiiiiiiiiiin wrote:
vrmsoccer wrote:Okay guys, interesting twist happened fairly recently. I got accepted to UCLA, though only with a scholarship of 15k a year. Does that change any opinions?

Have you visited the three schools? I toured ASU and U of A last week and was shocked at how different the two schools felt, especially considering the similarities at the surface (big public university, regional schools, in the desert). I know most people don't care, but if I'm spending 3 years somewhere I want to like it. How averse to debt are you? Do you like living in LA? How much more expensive will it be with CoL?

What the school "feels like" and where OP wants to spend three years are is absolutely useless metrics in OP's decision.

If OP wants to work in California, OP needs to go to school in California. If the schools OP got into in California are either too expensive or place too poorly, then OP needs to up his/her numbers and apply again (maybe even just earlier) in a later cycle. The point of law school is to get a job. It's professional school, not vacation school.

OP mentioned he doesn't mind staying in AZ for awhile. What are his chances of moving to CA after 5+ years of firm work in Phx?

Significantly less than his chances of getting firm work in Arizona at a high enough level firm to lateral into a major California market.

Edited for clarity.
Last edited by patrickd139 on Thu Apr 18, 2013 10:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

vrmsoccer

Postby vrmsoccer » Thu Apr 18, 2013 2:10 am

For retaking, I did testmasters. I studied very hard for 3 months and did pretty much everything I could. Took over 20 timed practice tests in simulated environment(including at the same time as actual test), I've done tons of practice problems. My score was a 169. In my practice tests, I got a 172, a couple 170s and the majority were 169s. My score was exactly what I expected it to be. TBH, my GPA is what is really holding me back, between the two numbers.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”