ASU vs U of A

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
Greatest,Ever

Re: ASU vs U of A

Postby Greatest,Ever » Fri Apr 12, 2013 1:49 am

Let's get real here... Would an employer seriously not consider you just because you grew up in CA, even if you are the top of your class (if you do well enough)? I would guess that if you hit the ground running in AZ and get some good connections you will be in an excellent place.

Let the naysayers say nay.

WokeUpInACar

Postby WokeUpInACar » Fri Apr 12, 2013 1:51 am

Wait you have a 169 and a 3.5? You should have gotten in to UCLA with decent money with those numbers.

gaud

Postby gaud » Fri Apr 12, 2013 1:51 am

If you do well enough they will most certainly consider you, but that's not something to bank on.

The point everyone is making is that it just makes more sense to go to school in California if that's where you want to work.

BigZuck

Postby BigZuck » Fri Apr 12, 2013 8:33 am

If you want CA, go to UCLA/USC/T14 (assuming you have ties).

If you want AZ, work for a year or two to establish ties and then go to one of these schools. But only for freesies because there is still a huge chance of not getting a job afterwards.

Where are your ties? Did you grow up somewhere in Nevada or are you from LA?

patrickd139

Postby patrickd139 » Fri Apr 12, 2013 8:40 am

Greatest,Ever wrote:Let's get real here... Would an employer seriously not consider you just because you grew up in CA, even if you are the top of your class (if you do well enough)? I would guess that if you hit the ground running in AZ and get some good connections you will be in an excellent place.

Let the naysayers say nay.

This ignorantly assumes that you'll be at or near the top of your class at UA or ASU. Statistically speaking, OP will not be there, no matter how much of a special snowflake s/he is.

ArchieHicox

Postby ArchieHicox » Fri Apr 12, 2013 8:48 am

A bit of a sidetrack here, but what happens to people that want to leave their home market?

Are ties this important that they can't be cultivated in 3 years, or explained away? Lets say OP is from Wyoming but wants to work in Arizona.... but he doesn't have ties to Arizona. The groupthink here seems to be he should go where he has ties... i.e. Wyoming (in this example). But that doesn't really provide him with good options. So what is the strategy? Just stay in Wyoming? Why is it not a good idea to go to the best school in a state and try to establish a life?

vrmsoccer

Postby vrmsoccer » Fri Apr 12, 2013 1:32 pm

WokeUpInACar wrote:Wait you have a 169 and a 3.5? You should have gotten in to UCLA with decent money with those numbers.

I still haven't heard from them, and I got waitlisted at USC, so I'm not holding my breath.

And I really fail to see how ties to an area effects you that much. Why would a firm in Arizona care all that much that I'm from California? From past graduates of U of A and ASU that were from California, they just said that you need to work a bit harder at making connections and getting interviews. It doesn't sound impossible or even implausible to me.

patrickd139

Postby patrickd139 » Fri Apr 12, 2013 3:28 pm

vrmsoccer wrote:
WokeUpInACar wrote:Wait you have a 169 and a 3.5? You should have gotten in to UCLA with decent money with those numbers.

I still haven't heard from them, and I got waitlisted at USC, so I'm not holding my breath.

When did you apply to USC? You should be a shoe-in there too.

keviiiiiiiiiiiin

Postby keviiiiiiiiiiiin » Fri Apr 12, 2013 4:15 pm

Last edited by keviiiiiiiiiiiin on Tue Mar 11, 2014 7:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

vrmsoccer

Postby vrmsoccer » Fri Apr 12, 2013 7:35 pm

patrickd139 wrote:
vrmsoccer wrote:

When did you apply to USC? You should be a shoe-in there too.

I applied in early December. They have been doing weird stuff... accepting some with low numbers and not others with great numbers. Idk.

And yeah Keviiiiin, I do play soccer, lol. Been playing since I was a little kid.

keviiiiiiiiiiiin

Postby keviiiiiiiiiiiin » Fri Apr 12, 2013 7:49 pm

Last edited by keviiiiiiiiiiiin on Tue Mar 11, 2014 7:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

vrmsoccer

Postby vrmsoccer » Sat Apr 13, 2013 1:26 am

keviiiiiiiiiiiin wrote:Hasn't the U of A deadline already passed?

I deposited there, but am not necessarily going there. They are one of my top 2 schools at this point.

vrmsoccer

Postby vrmsoccer » Wed Apr 17, 2013 6:38 pm

Okay guys, interesting twist happened fairly recently. I got accepted to UCLA, though only with a scholarship of 15k a year. Does that change any opinions?

BigZuck

Postby BigZuck » Wed Apr 17, 2013 6:46 pm

vrmsoccer wrote:Okay guys, interesting twist happened fairly recently. I got accepted to UCLA, though only with a scholarship of 15k a year. Does that change any opinions?

I think UCLA is much too expensive at that price but if you want CA and are in a gamblin' mood then that is a way better option than the AZ schools.

buddyt

Postby buddyt » Wed Apr 17, 2013 6:52 pm

vrmsoccer wrote:Okay guys, interesting twist happened fairly recently. I got accepted to UCLA, though only with a scholarship of 15k a year. Does that change any opinions?

Two options:
1. Go to ASU or UofA, graduate with a manageable debt load, work in AZ at pretty much any size firm. Getting back to CA will be extremely difficult.
2. Go to UCLA, graduate with a huge debt load, work in CA. You will probably need biglaw to service your debt, and about 34% of the class got firms with 100+ attorneys in c/o 2012.

keviiiiiiiiiiiin

Postby keviiiiiiiiiiiin » Wed Apr 17, 2013 6:55 pm

Last edited by keviiiiiiiiiiiin on Tue Mar 11, 2014 7:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jbagelboy

Postby jbagelboy » Wed Apr 17, 2013 7:00 pm

buddytyler wrote:If you want Cali, you need Stanford/Berkeley/USC/UCLA.

mehhhhh. for the purposes of this thread relative to ASU, sure, but overall I just think this is such an exaggeration. attorney's in CA i've met say median and above from columbia can make it back pretty easily with ties. Just talked to family friend at sidley austin who worked in chicago and bay area offices, he assured me they take NYU and CLS people regularly who legitimately wanted to move to CA (as indicated by ties) and weren't just leveraging it for another offer. a Cal grad who hires at Skadden in bay area said they get mostly stanford and boalt people, but thats because more of them want to practice there, and the same cut of the class at HCCNP makes it too.

vrmsoccer

Postby vrmsoccer » Wed Apr 17, 2013 7:07 pm

CoA over the 3 years would be about 200k, compared to 60k for U of A and 72k for ASU. Yeah I visited both Arizona schools and they definitely have different feels.

BigZuck

Postby BigZuck » Wed Apr 17, 2013 7:07 pm

jbagelboy wrote:

mehhhhh. for the purposes of this thread relative to ASU, sure, but overall I just think this is such an exaggeration. attorney's in CA i've met say median and above from columbia can make it back pretty easily with ties. Just talked to family friend at sidley austin who worked in chicago and bay area offices, he assured me they take NYU and CLS people regularly who legitimately wanted to move to CA (as indicated by ties) and weren't just leveraging it for another offer. a Cal grad who hires at Skadden in bay area said they get mostly stanford and boalt people, but thats because more of them want to practice there, and the same cut of the class at HCCNP makes it too.

A+ CCNP trolling.

Also none of this is relevant.

jbagelboy

Postby jbagelboy » Wed Apr 17, 2013 7:15 pm

BigZuck wrote:
jbagelboy wrote:

A+ CCNP trolling.

Also none of this is relevant.

Northwestern is the exact same thing, same class rank ranges.

and you're right I'm sorry. I just needed to point out, it's false that you can't go to CA from other schools and it misrepresents the entire way these national/international firms approach the issue of recruiting. Berkeley has a natural advantage with blind interviewing but its far from a locked market.

patrickd139

Postby patrickd139 » Wed Apr 17, 2013 8:51 pm

keviiiiiiiiiiiin wrote:

Have you visited the three schools? I toured ASU and U of A last week and was shocked at how different the two schools felt, especially considering the similarities at the surface (big public university, regional schools, in the desert). I know most people don't care, but if I'm spending 3 years somewhere I want to like it. How averse to debt are you? Do you like living in LA? How much more expensive will it be with CoL?

What the school "feels like" and where OP wants to spend three years are is absolutely useless metrics in OP's decision.

If OP wants to work in California, OP needs to go to school in California. If the schools OP got into in California are either too expensive or place too poorly, then OP needs to up his/her numbers and apply again (maybe even just earlier) in a later cycle. The point of law school is to get a job. It's professional school, not vacation school.

jbagelboy

Postby jbagelboy » Wed Apr 17, 2013 9:25 pm

Wow -- go to UCLA w/ scholarship. Congrats. That raises your chances of employment in CA by a huge margin. Its a different class of school

buddyt

Postby buddyt » Wed Apr 17, 2013 10:30 pm

jbagelboy wrote:Wow -- go to UCLA w/ scholarship. Congrats. That raises your chances of employment in CA by a huge margin. Its a different class of school

It's also literally triple the debt.

NoodleyOne

Postby NoodleyOne » Wed Apr 17, 2013 10:36 pm

jbagelboy wrote:Wow -- go to UCLA w/ scholarship. Congrats. That raises your chances of employment in CA by a huge margin. Its a different class of school

... Stop giving advice on here. It's always bad.

Has the OP explained why retaking isn't an option? A few more points opens up the T-14 and big schollys at USC/UCLA.

gaud

Postby gaud » Wed Apr 17, 2013 10:37 pm

vrmsoccer wrote:And, as for retaking, I don't really think I could improve that much.

:|

Return to “Choosing a Law School”