Last Minute second thoughts... should I still attend?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
somewhatwayward

Re: Last Minute second thoughts... should I still attend?

Postby somewhatwayward » Sat Apr 06, 2013 7:04 pm

gaucholaw wrote:some additional info:
1. To clarify on the "chasing unicorn"... a district clerkship would be nice, and my current selected school places decently
2. I already signed a lease
3. the parent who is providing the purse-strings is a foreign, non-national, language barrier, etc.... it's not that arguments are emotional, its that contact is seldom

Regarding the bolded, pretty much no schools place decently into federal clerkships in an absolute sense...certainly not MVP. Yale places decently in a relative sense because it outpaces everyone else but even a 1/3 chance is just verging on decent IMO. I just went to check unless I was unaware of some abnormally large increase in the percentage of students in federal clerkships at MVP, and it's ~8%, ~14%, ~10% respectively for c/o 2012. I don't really get why you would settle for that when you have the potential to get into a school that would make a clerkship a lot more likely. MVP will make "chasing unicorn" stuff pretty hard...what it opens up is big law. I don't know a ton about you obviously but from some of what you have said, it sounds like the "chasing unicorn" job would be a better fit than big law.

It sounds to me like you want us to reassure you that this makes sense rather than get an objective opinion, and you've been around here long enough to know that is not what you're going to get, haha. Seriously it would be a tragedy to leave those LSAT points on the table with your GPA coupled with your career aspirations. If you get into HYS, you won't need to worry about whether you get your parents' financial support bc their repayment programs are really good. Also, panicking on the last LSAT is not a good reason to not bother trying to maximize your score....law school exams are 5x more pressure than the LSAT. If you can't handle the pressure of the LSAT, that is even more reason to attend HYS (especially Y since H just has letter grades in a lame disguise...not sure about S) with their P/F grading systems.

jbagelboy

Postby jbagelboy » Sun Apr 07, 2013 1:35 am

if your parents are paying for it go.

js25

Postby js25 » Mon Apr 08, 2013 7:47 am

eric922 wrote:
gaucholaw wrote:
NYstate wrote:
gaucholaw wrote:Got accepted to MVP with 45k, parents are paying COL and half of tuition
total COA is around 50k in Stafford.
Stats: reverse splitter, k-JD, senior grades haven't been as awesome (so if I applied again, my awesome gpa would be lower)
Pros:
1. still fairly decent school
2. if I attend now, I can count on parent's help, if I wait a couple years that might not be the case (volatile relationship)
Cons:
1. I honestly am not that into BigLaw
2. More interested in the "chasing unicorn" shit that only HYS seems to open up doors too
3. re-taking could be efficient, I got a 167, I think I could pull a 171ish.... 4+ gpa
4.^^^ I feel like I'm pissing away that great gpa and a real job might not be that bad
5. ^ my parent who is supporting me could pull the purse strings at any moment (which is an incentive to just get it done)

thoughts?
1. are these fears rational.... or is it just 11th hour fright?

These fears are rational. Your goals don't match your schools placement ability. You aren't that clear on what you want to do. You feel forced to ignore your doubts because your parents might not be supportive.

Can you defer for a year? Can you realistically get into better schools? Do you really want to be a lawyer?

Thanks for the response!
In terms of could I get into a better school, well my stats are 4.05/167 with NO w/e.. and I got in ED... so this was a solid cycle by my estimations, that said, I'm curious if a 171 and two years w/e could make up for the 100k+ in lost parental support?

Wait, you got in with ED? I could be wrong, but you may not have a choice. Some Early Decisions require you to attend.

timbs4339

Postby timbs4339 » Mon Apr 08, 2013 9:34 am

I'm confused. You know district court clerkships unless only last 2 years at most right? Do you actually want to be a lawyer?

fallingup

Postby fallingup » Mon Apr 08, 2013 10:01 am

I don't think that ED means he/she must attend law school now, it just means they can't pick another school.

Clearly

Postby Clearly » Mon Apr 08, 2013 7:24 pm

eric922 wrote:
gaucholaw wrote:
NYstate wrote:
gaucholaw wrote:Got accepted to MVP with 45k, parents are paying COL and half of tuition
total COA is around 50k in Stafford.
Stats: reverse splitter, k-JD, senior grades haven't been as awesome (so if I applied again, my awesome gpa would be lower)
Pros:
1. still fairly decent school
2. if I attend now, I can count on parent's help, if I wait a couple years that might not be the case (volatile relationship)
Cons:
1. I honestly am not that into BigLaw
2. More interested in the "chasing unicorn" shit that only HYS seems to open up doors too
3. re-taking could be efficient, I got a 167, I think I could pull a 171ish.... 4+ gpa
4.^^^ I feel like I'm pissing away that great gpa and a real job might not be that bad
5. ^ my parent who is supporting me could pull the purse strings at any moment (which is an incentive to just get it done)

thoughts?
1. are these fears rational.... or is it just 11th hour fright?

These fears are rational. Your goals don't match your schools placement ability. You aren't that clear on what you want to do. You feel forced to ignore your doubts because your parents might not be supportive.

Can you defer for a year? Can you realistically get into better schools? Do you really want to be a lawyer?

Thanks for the response!
In terms of could I get into a better school, well my stats are 4.05/167 with NO w/e.. and I got in ED... so this was a solid cycle by my estimations, that said, I'm curious if a 171 and two years w/e could make up for the 100k+ in lost parental support?

Wait, you got in with ED? I could be wrong, but you may not have a choice. Some Early Decisions require you to attend.

Actually, binding ED says you can't attend another school that cycle, you always have the choice to not go at all.

sinfiery

Postby sinfiery » Mon Apr 08, 2013 7:32 pm

I remember reading it could also bar you from attending another school next cycle.

NYstate

Postby NYstate » Mon Apr 08, 2013 7:43 pm

sinfiery wrote:I remember reading it could also bar you from attending another school next cycle.

I have never seen a early admission contract that requires you to not attend law school for two years unless you attend the school that admits you. If you have seen one, it would be nice if you could post it. The terms of the agreement should specify the time period.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”