NU ($150k) vs. U Chicago ($75k)

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
Elle002

NU ($150k) vs. U Chicago ($75k)

Postby Elle002 » Fri Apr 05, 2013 11:48 pm

My biggest interests going into law are Constitutional law and advocacy, but I'm not certain how I will want to practice after graduation. Ideally, I'd be spending some time in a federal clerkship, but I know those are highly competitive.

Because I don't know how I will want to practice, I want to leave as many options open as possible. While Chicago offers more academic/employment opportunities, it also come with more crippling debt that could force me to choose a job out of financial necessity.

So should I go NU (estimated $80-90k in in debt) or Chicago U (estimated $155-$165k in debt)?

Samara

Re: NU ($150k) vs. U Chicago ($75k)

Postby Samara » Fri Apr 05, 2013 11:56 pm

I assume by Constitutional law and advocacy, you mean appellate advocacy. That is even more competitive than a federal clerkship, which is almost certainly a must if you want to do appellate advocacy. And since both are going to be very difficult out of either school, it shouldn't be a primary factor in choosing.

What do you want to do if not appellate advocacy? Where do you want to work? Clerking is going to be a lot more likely out of Chicago, but I don't think it's worth the extra cost, especially in light of the reason you want to clerk.

Elle002

Postby Elle002 » Sat Apr 06, 2013 12:16 am

Yes, appellate advocacy is my major interest. My immediate post-graduate dream job would be a clerkship within a federal court of appeals, but I recognize that it's next to impossible to land. Don't get me wrong, I'll still go after it no matter which school I choose, but I know that I can't base my decision around that.

My main interested is in civil rights work. Though I don't know exactly which avenue would be best for me to pursue that. I'd be happy in an NPO or organization that worked to select cases to effect policy change, but I really don't know what career opportunities are out there.

Basically, I'd like to someday be involved in impact litigation. But for entry level, I really don't know what opportunities are out there that would involve civil rights work beyond public interest.

Samara

Postby Samara » Sat Apr 06, 2013 12:21 am

Elle002 wrote:Yes, appellate advocacy is my major interest. My immediate post-graduate dream job would be a clerkship within a federal court of appeals, but I recognize that it's next to impossible to land. Don't get me wrong, I'll still go after it no matter which school I choose, but I know that I can't base my decision around that.

My main interested is in civil rights work. Though I don't know exactly which avenue would be best for me to pursue that. I'd be happy in an NPO or organization that worked to select cases to effect policy change, but I really don't know what career opportunities are out there.

Basically, I'd like to someday be involved in impact litigation. But for entry level, I really don't know what opportunities are out there that would involve civil rights work beyond public interest.

That's the problem, entry level opportunities for that are practically non-existent and extremely competitive. I don't mean to be harsh or imply that you shouldn't pursue those, but what is your realistic employment goal? What is the plan if you can't get those? I would have a really hard time justifying the cost of either school for such a narrow goal.

patrickd139

Postby patrickd139 » Sat Apr 06, 2013 12:27 am

OP: you mention practicing 'constitutional law' and 'advocacy.' Do you have a time machine?

dissonance1848

Postby dissonance1848 » Sat Apr 06, 2013 12:51 am

OP, your goals will not happen unless you get Yale/Stanford, even then... odds are not good.

If you just want biglaw, are realistic, take the money from NU and run to the bank.

jbagelboy

Postby jbagelboy » Sun Apr 07, 2013 12:41 am

so I made a thread in FinAid section that could be relevant to OP here but haven't gotten much response. What do people think of his chances of increasing Chicago $ using NU's offer? He has a 1/2 offer; chicago offered me 1/3 of my current NU offer, and I feel they could up it to 2/3. thoughts or experiences would be very much appreciated

Return to “Choosing a Law School”