. Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Which school(s) should we choose?

CLS/NYU
54%
Duke
38%
Penn
8%

Total votes: 90

bananapudding88

Bronze

Re: Couple Needs Advice! NYU/CLS vs Duke vs. Penn

Post by bananapudding88 » Fri Apr 05, 2013 5:12 pm

Last edited by bananapudding88 on Thu Apr 18, 2013 12:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rahviveh

Gold

Post by Rahviveh » Fri Apr 05, 2013 5:19 pm

poof
Last edited by Rahviveh on Fri Apr 05, 2013 7:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Doorkeeper

Gold

Post by Doorkeeper » Fri Apr 05, 2013 5:32 pm

Do you want to get into $500k in debt as a married couple?

If that's ok, then NYU/Columbia.

If that's not ok and around $350k sounds better to you, go Duke.

ironbmike

Bronze

Post by ironbmike » Fri Apr 05, 2013 5:39 pm

aiaea wrote:
ironbmike wrote:
You don't have to understand it, but as an African-American woman I've always felt my resume/credentials had to be extra flawless and exceptional in order to compensate for my demographic
You mean to add onto a boost you already get over other people? :?:
I think whatever boost I have ends at the school admissions door. Look up how many minorities hold high ranking posts in major businesses and public sector entities; how many of them hold positions of power and influence. I have to work hard every day to overcome whatever preconceived notions many people I encounter have about me and what it means to be a member of my racial/ethnic group. Especially as a female. By virtue of being an immigrant to and minority in this country, I do feel I have to prove myself and be extraordinary to whatever degree I can. I don't expect you to understand this mentality, but I'd appreciate it if you kept the disrespect to a minimum. You don't need to partake in this conversation.
Nice victim mentality. I don't expect you to care about the hapless people who can't get into T-14 schools with a 162 and 3.3.
Last edited by ironbmike on Fri Apr 05, 2013 5:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.

JamMasterJ

Platinum

Post by JamMasterJ » Fri Apr 05, 2013 5:41 pm

NYU/CLS since you can live in the same city while not being at the same school which sounds like a terrible idea.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Rahviveh

Gold

Post by Rahviveh » Fri Apr 05, 2013 5:42 pm

ironbmike wrote:
aiaea wrote:
ironbmike wrote:
You don't have to understand it, but as an African-American woman I've always felt my resume/credentials had to be extra flawless and exceptional in order to compensate for my demographic
You mean to add onto a boost you already get over other people? :?:
I think whatever boost I have ends at the school admissions door. Look up how many minorities hold high ranking posts in major businesses and public sector entities; how many of them hold positions of power and influence. I have to work hard every day to overcome whatever preconceived notions many people I encounter have about me and what it means to be a member of my racial/ethnic group. Especially as a female. By virtue of being an immigrant to and minority in this country, I do feel I have to prove myself and be extraordinary to whatever degree I can. I don't expect you to understand this mentality, but I'd appreciate it if you kept the disrespect to a minimum. You don't need to partake in this conversation.
Nice victim mentality. I don't expect you to care about the hapless people who can't get into T-14 schools with a 162.
Isn't this kind of argument not allowed? :?

Big Dog

Silver

Post by Big Dog » Fri Apr 05, 2013 5:46 pm

I'm also from outside the U.S. and both Columbia and Duke have great reputations where I come from,
Yes, but the difference between the two becomes noticeable once one crosses the ocean.
As far as debt's concerned, look up the thread on IBR. Briefly, it doesn't matter how much you borrow anymore.
All marketing spin, and very naive, IMO. That debt sits out there, controlling your life for the next 10-20 years. Forget the tax bomb. Just try to buy a car, a house, get married, take a different job. While the IBR may be a great safety net, someone is foolish to plan on it, IMO.

izy223

Bronze

Post by izy223 » Fri Apr 05, 2013 6:03 pm

deleted
Last edited by izy223 on Sat Apr 06, 2013 8:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bananapudding88

Bronze

Post by bananapudding88 » Fri Apr 05, 2013 6:18 pm

Last edited by bananapudding88 on Thu Apr 18, 2013 12:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

bananapudding88

Bronze

Post by bananapudding88 » Fri Apr 05, 2013 6:20 pm

DoveBodyWash

Gold

Post by DoveBodyWash » Fri Apr 05, 2013 6:22 pm

aiaea wrote:
JamMasterJ wrote:NYU/CLS since you can live in the same city while not being at the same school which sounds like a terrible idea.
Why does it sound like a terrible idea? I thought it would be the best of both worlds and is my preferred option, but would like to hear why you think going to the same school is better.
I think JamMaster meant that going to the same school was a terrible idea

Gold

Post by 20141023 » Fri Apr 05, 2013 6:23 pm

Last edited by 20141023 on Mon Feb 16, 2015 1:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bananapudding88

Bronze

Post by bananapudding88 » Fri Apr 05, 2013 6:27 pm

Last edited by bananapudding88 on Thu Apr 18, 2013 12:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

bananapudding88

Bronze

Post by bananapudding88 » Fri Apr 05, 2013 6:28 pm

Last edited by bananapudding88 on Thu Apr 18, 2013 12:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JamMasterJ

Platinum

Post by JamMasterJ » Fri Apr 05, 2013 6:37 pm

aiaea wrote:
cusenation wrote: I think JamMaster meant that going to the same school was a terrible idea
Ooh that makes more sense! Yeah, I agree... Competition would be awful, would really make a stressful 1L that much more stressful. Plus it'll be nice to have different social circles, access to different libraries and resources, and just more space (whether that means being together, away from law school stuff; or spending some time away from each other every now and then).
this. and yeah, being around each other 24/7 will get a little rough. you want to be able to come home and say hi, etc. you also won't really be as social as you otherwise would, which is important because law school forms the relationships you'll have for your whole legal career. also, less stress to get involved in the same activities and stuff.

SemperLegal

Silver

Post by SemperLegal » Fri Apr 05, 2013 6:38 pm

So you know my biases: I am debt-adverse, from NY, lived in NC for many years, and have done LDR for years.

I think the slight animosity that grade competition in your 1L shared classes will bring is far outweighed by the fact that at Duke the stakes are $120k less (per year?) plus the huge drop off in COL from NY to Raleigh. NYC, plus newly weds, huge debt, plus 1L is a lot of stress to put on a realtionship. Take some of those savings and plan a few short vacations to Outerbanks when the stress starts to get to you.

bananapudding88

Bronze

Post by bananapudding88 » Fri Apr 05, 2013 6:42 pm

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

bananapudding88

Bronze

Post by bananapudding88 » Fri Apr 05, 2013 6:56 pm

rickgrimes69

Silver

Post by rickgrimes69 » Fri Apr 05, 2013 9:28 pm

Go to Penn. Fiance takes the year off to study the LSAT and retake. If he scores 2-3 points better (totally doable) he's in at Penn. Solves the problem of you two competing and would even give you some distance because you would have different classes and social circles. He could work in his year off and get you two some spending money. Seems like it would solve all your problems, as long as he's cool waiting a year.

mattviphky

Silver

Post by mattviphky » Fri Apr 05, 2013 9:31 pm

whatever the offers, go to school together

mattviphky

Silver

Post by mattviphky » Fri Apr 05, 2013 9:32 pm

aiaea wrote:
Regulus wrote: Competing against each other for grades? Only a certain number of people can get As, Bs, etc. in law school because grading is on a curve. One of you might push the other out of a higher grade. This is just one of many reasons.
Agreed.
would they put a married couple in the same section?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

js25

New

Post by js25 » Sat Apr 06, 2013 12:03 am

NYU/CLS seems like your best bet - my two cents.
Congrats on your great acceptances!

UtilityMonster

Bronze

Post by UtilityMonster » Sat Apr 06, 2013 12:19 am

JamMasterJ wrote:NYU/CLS since you can live in the same city while not being at the same school which sounds like a terrible idea.
Also the fact that they'll both probably work in NYC after graduating. Might be tougher to wind up in the same city if you graduate from Duke.

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Sat Apr 06, 2013 12:22 am

mattviphky wrote:
aiaea wrote:
Regulus wrote: Competing against each other for grades? Only a certain number of people can get As, Bs, etc. in law school because grading is on a curve. One of you might push the other out of a higher grade. This is just one of many reasons.
Agreed.
would they put a married couple in the same section?
There was a married couple in a bunch of my 1L classes (we weren't in the same section for all courses).

Ramsey

New

Post by Ramsey » Sat Apr 06, 2013 12:26 am

Problem is, he not a US citizen at the moment (is European) and wouldnt get a greencard through our marriage until the beginning of next year most likely, so it's not easy for him to just pack and move to NY (finding a place willing to sponsor a work visa is a beyotch). But maybe he could just stay in Philly one year longer and we could do long-distance? I guess that's also an option.

So yeah, another problem is his lack of citizenship and the fact that, for the first year, he would not be elgible for federal loans (only privates one)...

Fuuuuuuuuck :(
I'm going through a similar process (my soon-to-be husband is a US citizen and I am not; we'll be married by this fall and I will apply for perm. residency). From what I've heard, while not required, cohabitation (or lack thereof) can be a factor that can delay the process of obtaining the residency. My husband and I are very likely to be attending schools 3-4 hours apart (Im waitlisted at his school), and I have been repetitively told that if I don't get in off WL I should transfer to his school after 1L so that I can be granted permanent residency asap. Something to think about if his getting perm. residency asap is a priority.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”