BU/BC (~100k) USC (~80k) or UCLA (~20k)?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
URMirinBrah

BU/BC (~100k) USC (~80k) or UCLA (~20k)?

Postby URMirinBrah » Thu Apr 04, 2013 5:40 pm

Currently leaning towards BU or SC but would like to hear other opinions on the matter.

Hard Factors
[*] SC's annual tuition is 5k more than BU's.
[*] No benefit of "living at home" so my COL wud be about the same at both.
[*] Hesitant to take out that much more in private loans at SC.
[*] Current employment stats seem to indicate a 10% greater chance for BigLaw at SC than BU.
[*] BU/BC's recent slide in the rankings this year worries me of a possible long-term trend and just how it might negatively affect the national perception of these schools.

Soft Factors
[*] Bit of a prestige whore but I also figure its a negligible factor when discussing regional schools.
[*] Long time SoCal native with extensive legal ties in LA and OC.
[*] Fan of Boston (the city not its sport teams 8)) and would prefer living there vs another 3 years in LA.
[*] Not opposed to working in Boston/NYC or LA/OC for a few years if I luck out at BigLaw.
[*] If stuck w/ the mid- or small-firm option, wud likely search it out in Miami (luv the scene and a great place for me to put to use my multilingual skills in Spanish and Portuguese) but willing to return to SoCal if worse comes to worse.
[*] Ultimately interested in doing transactional work for Latin American companies and investors hoping to expand into the US (again Miami...)

Thoughts?

boblawlob

Re: BU/BC (~100k) USC (~80k) or UCLA (~20k)?

Postby boblawlob » Thu Apr 04, 2013 5:49 pm

USC. Hopefully you are negotiating with UCLA atm to raise that scholly up.

USC is worth the 20k over BU/BC imo.

Wahoos

Postby Wahoos » Thu Apr 04, 2013 8:20 pm

boblawlob wrote:USC. Hopefully you are negotiating with UCLA atm to raise that scholly up.

USC is worth the 20k over BU/BC imo.

Huh? Obviously depends on if he wants to work in LA or Boston, bro

elm84dr

Postby elm84dr » Sun Apr 07, 2013 5:37 pm

URMirinBrah wrote:Currently leaning towards BU or SC but would like to hear other opinions on the matter.

Hard Factors
[*] SC's annual tuition is 5k more than BU's.
[*] No benefit of "living at home" so my COL wud be about the same at both.
[*] Hesitant to take out that much more in private loans at SC.
[*] Current employment stats seem to indicate a 10% greater chance for BigLaw at SC than BU.
[*] BU/BC's recent slide in the rankings this year worries me of a possible long-term trend and just how it might negatively affect the national perception of these schools.

Soft Factors
[*] Bit of a prestige whore but I also figure its a negligible factor when discussing regional schools.
[*] Long time SoCal native with extensive legal ties in LA and OC.
[*] Fan of Boston (the city not its sport teams 8)) and would prefer living there vs another 3 years in LA.
[*] Not opposed to working in Boston/NYC or LA/OC for a few years if I luck out at BigLaw.
[*] If stuck w/ the mid- or small-firm option, wud likely search it out in Miami (luv the scene and a great place for me to put to use my multilingual skills in Spanish and Portuguese) but willing to return to SoCal if worse comes to worse.
[*] Ultimately interested in doing transactional work for Latin American companies and investors hoping to expand into the US (again Miami...)

Thoughts?

The slide in the rankings do not change how the Boston/NYC markets react to BC/BU---those firms have many alums from the schools and do not look at a 2 or 3 spot slide as an indicator that an Alabama or Iowa alum would be better suited for the firm.

BU has reach out in California. If you are dead set on Cali---go to the California schools. If you are open and willing to work in Boston/NY, go to BU. You will not get into Boston from USC or UCLA with no Boston ties.

Big Dog

Postby Big Dog » Sun Apr 07, 2013 5:43 pm

Fan of Boston (the city not its sport teams ) and would prefer living there vs another 3 years in LA.

Wrong attitude. If attending a regional LS, plan on moving there permanently.

And definitely ask Dean Schwartz for more money.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”