Feelings about Davis (money involved)

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
md22

Feelings about Davis (money involved)

Postby md22 » Thu Apr 04, 2013 2:32 pm

Alright TLS,

I was recently accepted to Davis with a fairly substantial amount of money. I am hesitant to pull the trigger on it but I do think that there's a chance that it can result in a good outcome. Here are the facts:

- COA will be around $90,000 total
- CA resident; born and raised in Northern California; plenty of ties here
- No BigLaw desire; hoping to go into local government work (ideally as an ADA)
- Am comfortable with the idea of living and working in the Sacramento area
- Would likely qualify for UCD's LRAP if I can in fact secure employment in local government

Given these things, does Davis make (any) sense? I feel pretty knowledgeable about the horrors of the legal market and I don't want to commit to UCD if it means that I will end up living in a cardboard box afterwards. Thoughts?

boblawlob

Re: Feelings about Davis (money involved)

Postby boblawlob » Thu Apr 04, 2013 2:34 pm

depends what your alternatives are

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Thu Apr 04, 2013 2:35 pm

CA state govt is broke dude

Hutz_and_Goodman

Postby Hutz_and_Goodman » Thu Apr 04, 2013 2:35 pm

md22 wrote:Alright TLS,

I was recently accepted to Davis with a fairly substantial amount of money. I am hesitant to pull the trigger on it but I do think that there's a chance that it can result in a good outcome. Here are the facts:

- COA will be around $90,000 total
- CA resident; born and raised in Northern California; plenty of ties here
- No BigLaw desire; hoping to go into local government work (ideally as an ADA)
- Am comfortable with the idea of living and working in the Sacramento area
- Would likely qualify for UCD's LRAP if I can in fact secure employment in local government

Given these things, does Davis make (any) sense? I feel pretty knowledgeable about the horrors of the legal market and I don't want to commit to UCD if it means that I will end up living in a cardboard box afterwards. Thoughts?

This sounds pretty good to me. Either you have a full ride (and only out of pocket cost is living) or you are living at home and paying a small amount for tuition. In your situation, all you are giving up for a UC Davis law degree is the opportunity cost of the semesters (and you will be working during the summers), and I think this is a good tradeoff. If you post your numbers and other options, people can give you a more complete answer.

edit: with your numbers, I think either take the huge $$$ at UCDavis or retake the LSAT. With 5-7 points increase, you would be looking at significant $ at Berkeley and $$$ at UCLA and USC.

Micdiddy

Postby Micdiddy » Thu Apr 04, 2013 2:46 pm

90k COA? How'd you manage that?
Even with that it's a risky prospect as you know. If it was my only option I would probably end up doing it, but know it really is a risk.

BigZuck

Postby BigZuck » Thu Apr 04, 2013 3:01 pm

Absolutely retake. Don't waste that beautiful gpa.

Hutz_and_Goodman

Postby Hutz_and_Goodman » Thu Apr 04, 2013 3:48 pm

Micdiddy wrote:90k COA? How'd you manage that?
Even with that it's a risky prospect as you know. If it was my only option I would probably end up doing it, but know it really is a risk.

It's not that risky given the debt load. And you will recoup some of that COA during 1L and 2L summers (unless everything you do is unpaid both summers).

deadpanic

Postby deadpanic » Thu Apr 04, 2013 3:56 pm

Hutz_and_Goodman wrote:

It's not that risky given the debt load. And you will recoup some of that COA during 1L and 2L summers (unless everything you do is unpaid both summers).

How many students are getting paid gigs, especially 1L summer, from Davis? I would absolutely not bank on that.

Micdiddy

Postby Micdiddy » Thu Apr 04, 2013 4:06 pm

deadpanic wrote:
Hutz_and_Goodman wrote:

How many students are getting paid gigs, especially 1L summer, from Davis? I would absolutely not bank on that.

Yeah, I don't have numbers but I would be rather surprised if a good portion are getting anything paid.
It IS risky considering the debt load and the fact that only 3/5 grads get decent jobs (http://www.lstscorereports.com/?school=davis)

md22

Postby md22 » Thu Apr 04, 2013 4:32 pm

Thanks for all the great responses. Right now I'm torn between taking the plunge or retaking. My head is telling me taking another shot at the LSAT is a good idea and I can aim higher if I do better on my second try. On the other hand, I'm from the area, want to work in the area, and am gunning for government work. For these reasons I can see Davis working out but as Micdiddy said, it is definitely a risk. I definitely need to take some time to think it over.

md22

Postby md22 » Thu Apr 04, 2013 4:50 pm

After merit and need aid total cost (by their estimate) will be in the mid 30's annually. I also have some money saved up of my own that I would put towards paying for school and I have minimal COL expenses. Still, 90k IS a ton of money for Davis. At this point I'm slightly leaning towards the retake.

boblawlob

Postby boblawlob » Thu Apr 04, 2013 4:55 pm

md22 wrote:

After merit and need aid total cost (by their estimate) will be in the mid 30's annually. I also have some money saved up of my own that I would put towards paying for school and I have minimal COL expenses. Still, 90k IS a ton of money for Davis. At this point I'm slightly leaning towards the retake.

1.How many times have u taken the LSAT?
2. How many years out of undergrad are you?
3. What kind of job do you now have currently?

The answers to these questions will help make your decision fairly quickly.

md22

Postby md22 » Thu Apr 04, 2013 5:01 pm

boblawlob wrote:
md22 wrote:

1. Only once, which is the best reason to retake and try again.
2. 2 years out
3. Currently, I'm working at a Fortune 500 as a legal clerk. The opportunity cost of going to law school isn't all that high as this is a typical desk jockey 35k a year job.

But yeah, the fact that I've taken the LSAT once is the best reason to retake.

boblawlob

Postby boblawlob » Thu Apr 04, 2013 5:05 pm

md22 wrote:
boblawlob wrote:
md22 wrote:

1. Only once, which is the best reason to retake and try again.
2. 2 years out
3. Currently, I'm working at a Fortune 500 as a legal clerk. The opportunity cost of going to law school isn't all that high as this is a typical desk jockey 35k a year job.

But yeah, the fact that I've taken the LSAT once is the best reason to retake.

Retake. Easy decision. You got a nice job to hold you down in the interim and so your resume won't look so bad when OCIs come around.

Retake for June and apply first day applications open.

Micdiddy

Postby Micdiddy » Thu Apr 04, 2013 5:38 pm

Your job makes this an easy retake. Sure, there's not much loss in leaving the job for school, and you will eventually, but also there's basically zero risk to sticking with that job for a year and then going to a school that will increase your future potential by a lot.
If you were just scraping by with a job, there might be a better argument towards going now and getting that law career started asap, but you seem to be in a good position to wait it out, retake and play next cycle for all it's worth (early apps, personalized PS statements for each school and Why X's, etc. etc.)

Hutz_and_Goodman

Postby Hutz_and_Goodman » Thu Apr 04, 2013 6:12 pm

If you are 23-24, have a job, and have taken the LSAT once, I would say you have to retake. It's not that hard to improve. If I were you I would be staring and maybe almost leering at UCLA or USC with huge $$$/named scholarship.

BigZuck

Postby BigZuck » Thu Apr 04, 2013 6:21 pm

You are dead right about your retake thoughts. Last year at this time I was facing sticker at Hastings. I retook, reapplied, and this weekend I am at the Admitted Students Weekend for Duke where I have a healthy scholarship. I have close to a full ride at UCLA and USC. Literally the only thing about my application that is different is my LSAT score.

Absolutely, 100%, retake.

md22

Postby md22 » Fri Apr 05, 2013 12:42 pm

BigZuck wrote:You are dead right about your retake thoughts. Last year at this time I was facing sticker at Hastings. I retook, reapplied, and this weekend I am at the Admitted Students Weekend for Duke where I have a healthy scholarship. I have close to a full ride at UCLA and USC. Literally the only thing about my application that is different is my LSAT score.

Absolutely, 100%, retake.

Thanks for the advice. Question: should I sit for the June test or the October test? If I sit for June, I can work part-time (thankfully my employer is supportive) and perhaps get more money from Davis or get into USC off the WL if I do well enough. If I sit for October, obviously I'll have more time to study and gear up for the test. That said, I do think that my nerves got to me this past December, as I was PTing at a much higher score than 164.

DoveBodyWash

Postby DoveBodyWash » Fri Apr 05, 2013 12:50 pm

rad lulz wrote:CA state govt is broke dude

Return to “Choosing a Law School”