Which option to choose?(better than another scifiguy thread)

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Which option would you take?

Harvard or Stanford with less than 100K in loans
71%
Penn with no debt and money in the bank
29%

Total votes: 92

chillipepper

Re: Which option to choose?(better than another scifiguy thread)

Postby chillipepper » Thu Apr 04, 2013 10:31 pm

Stanford vs Harvard is a pure personal preference choice. I will state the obvious: Stanford-smaller class size, if you want the bay area this is the most competitive choice, rarely if ever low pass is given, great weather, and beautiful modern campus. Harvard- larger class size, more choices for clinics, low passes are rare but have been noted to be given out, beautiful ivy campus.

My pick, Stanford. I want to enjoy law school and learn a lot. Why not read next to a palm tree and watch the sunset?

bernaldiaz

Postby bernaldiaz » Thu Apr 04, 2013 10:43 pm

sinfiery wrote:It's because it seems people on TLS value money differently when borrowed.from a bank versus parents/savings to a ridiculous degree.

There was a Penn full ride vs HLS sticker that had the exact opposite mentality

But I'd pick HS for both scenarios. And H, for you, at that.

#1: 100+ people.bid Boston from HLS
#2: apparently this is for safety net reasons

So it's not overly competitive but sort of entitled to HLS grads as far as I can tell.

That's actually pretty good logic, and an angle I haven't looked at those numbers from before.

UtilityMonster

Postby UtilityMonster » Thu Apr 04, 2013 10:57 pm

bernaldiaz wrote:
UtilityMonster wrote:
bernaldiaz wrote:
Thanks for the thoughtful analysis. Very helpful!

Huh I thought this poll would be a lot closer...

The reason is that some early posters said H/S and people on this board are sheep who are too afraid to take on the general consensus. If the first two posts were "Penn hands down" and "Penn and don't look back" people would read that and go, "yeah! I'm smart and confident like those posters," and would proceed to vote Penn as well.

Also, I think Stanford is developing the sort of magical reputation that Yale has, at least on this board. If it was Harvard v. Penn it would almost certainly be closer. Although maybe it would be if it was just Stanford v. Penn as well.

There's definitely some truth to that. So can I take it that you're going to Harvard over the Ruby from the responses you've given here, or are you still up in the air?

The wife got admitted to Chicago and Harvard, and I was going to base my decision entirely on where she wound up. Now, with both options open to us, we are leaning Harvard but are still undecided.

banjo

Postby banjo » Fri Apr 05, 2013 9:15 am

I think it's a good idea to get out of the northeast for a few years. Make new friends/contacts, experience a different city, and just generally step out of your comfort zone.

bernaldiaz

Postby bernaldiaz » Tue Apr 09, 2013 3:16 pm

banjo wrote:I think it's a good idea to get out of the northeast for a few years. Make new friends/contacts, experience a different city, and just generally step out of your comfort zone.

That's definitely my thoughts at this point. Hopefully will be confirmed at ASW this weekend. For those who went to the Penn ASW, what did you think?

jbagelboy

Postby jbagelboy » Tue Apr 09, 2013 5:41 pm

You saved fifty THOUSAND dollars in high school and college alone? holy shit. I have never heard of that before. I worked non stop and saved only a few thousand (but I was putting the rest towards living expenses.) congratulations, thats good planning.

LS Debt: by 100K in debt, do you mean to your grandfather or to the feds? Sorry if this was clear and I misread it. I really don't think your grandfather is going to make you pay him back, especially not with interest. your parents would be inheriting the money anyway within 7-10 years assuming mean life expectancy and generational gaps. So unless this is stafford/grad plus, you are really talking about no debt.

and before anyone jumps on me for making too many assumptions about someone elses family, I have a somewhat similar consideration; my aunt has no kids, and she might contribute some money towards my law school. we might label it a "loan", but who are we kidding, her will is written out to me and my sister anyway so that's not a real calculation.

bernaldiaz

Postby bernaldiaz » Tue Apr 09, 2013 6:20 pm

jbagelboy wrote:You saved fifty THOUSAND dollars in high school and college alone? holy shit. I have never heard of that before. I worked non stop and saved only a few thousand (but I was putting the rest towards living expenses.) congratulations, thats good planning.

LS Debt: by 100K in debt, do you mean to your grandfather or to the feds? Sorry if this was clear and I misread it. I really don't think your grandfather is going to make you pay him back, especially not with interest. your parents would be inheriting the money anyway within 7-10 years assuming mean life expectancy and generational gaps. So unless this is stafford/grad plus, you are really talking about no debt.

and before anyone jumps on me for making too many assumptions about someone elses family, I have a somewhat similar consideration; my aunt has no kids, and she might contribute some money towards my law school. we might label it a "loan", but who are we kidding, her will is written out to me and my sister anyway so that's not a real calculation.

Haha well that number includes what I'll make this summer and I have a pretty good job lined up for the summer, plus I go to school in an incredibly low cost of living area. But yeah, I'm definitely going to be paying the money back, but that was definitely a good insight.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”