Stan. v. NYU ($$) v. Col. v. Penn ($$) v. Duke ($$) v. UChic Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
dissonance1848

Silver

Re: Stan. v. NYU ($$) v. Col. v. Penn ($$) v. Duke ($$) v. UChic

Post by dissonance1848 » Sat May 25, 2013 3:57 pm

If its between Stanford and Harvard, then Stanford wins, for sure.

Stanford places roughly 50% more of its class in Fedclerkships than Harvard.

Their overall employment stats are better than Harvard's.

I understand that you want to be on the eastcoast, but Stanford will definitely

get you back to the eastcoast, as well as allow you to crack the westcoast if you want to.

Also, Stanford has easier grading system than Harvard, fewer low passes being handed out,more classes

with no mandatory curves, so grades matter less. Only Yale's is better.

Take Stanford.

bizzybone1313

Silver

Post by bizzybone1313 » Tue May 28, 2013 2:46 am

OP, your school options are very impressive. What do you think is the primary reason for being admitted to such super elite schools and receiving good $$$?

rebexness

Gold

Post by rebexness » Tue May 28, 2013 2:48 am

bizzybone1313 wrote:OP, your school options are very impressive. What do you think is the primary reason for being admitted to such super elite schools and receiving good $$$?
Did you even look at his/her profile?

sublime

Diamond

Post by sublime » Tue May 28, 2013 2:49 am

bizzybone1313

Silver

Post by bizzybone1313 » Tue May 28, 2013 2:56 am

sublime12089 wrote:
bizzybone1313 wrote:OP, your school options are very impressive. What do you think is the primary reason for being admitted to such super elite schools and receiving good $$$?

Going out on a limb, I am going to guess it is his 3.9 GPA and 172 score on the LSAT.
rebexness wrote:
Did you even look at his/her profile?
His numbers don't completely explain his results. There are other factors. I know you guys on TLS love to preach that numbers are the only thing that matters day and night, everyday, 365 days, 24/7 on Earth, Mars and Venus, but not every run of the mill person with a 3.9/172 gets in to Stanford. They cannot admit everyone.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

sublime

Diamond

Post by sublime » Tue May 28, 2013 3:01 am

Big Dog

Silver

Post by Big Dog » Tue May 28, 2013 11:30 am

also, what folks on TLS like to ignore is pedigree. All 3.9's are not created equal. OP has excellent grades from a "top LAC" (and a Master's in the same discipline). While the latter is not of much value, the former is.

jbagelboy

Diamond

Post by jbagelboy » Tue May 28, 2013 1:04 pm

Big Dog wrote:also, what folks on TLS like to ignore is pedigree. All 3.9's are not created equal. OP has excellent grades from a "top LAC" (and a Master's in the same discipline). While the latter is not of much value, the former is.
because this is only demonstrably relevant at the very top echelon of law schools (HYSCC) and UG programs (HYPCCS, MIT/Caltech & top 5 lib arts). For most law schools and UG programs, it makes epsilon difference

Micdiddy

Gold

Post by Micdiddy » Tue May 28, 2013 2:13 pm

Big Dog wrote:also, what folks on TLS like to ignore is pedigree. All 3.9's are not created equal. OP has excellent grades from a "top LAC" (and a Master's in the same discipline). While the latter is not of much value, the former is.
I don't get this "folks on TLS ignore..." Stuff when the things we supposedly ignore is literally mentioned every single time the topic is brought up.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

jbagelboy

Diamond

Post by jbagelboy » Tue May 28, 2013 2:28 pm

Micdiddy wrote:
I don't get this "folks on TLS ignore..." Stuff when the things we supposedly ignore is literally mentioned every single time the topic is brought up.
lol truth

Ti Malice

Gold

Post by Ti Malice » Tue May 28, 2013 5:24 pm

5buildingsin1 wrote:So, in the intervening weeks, I have committed to S, but then got off HLS' waitlist yesterday. I have looking through many of the S v H threads but am still quite torn. Any thoughts?
You can't really go wrong in this situation.

Though S offered me quite a bit more aid than H, had I chosen between the two, I probably would have taken S even if the aid offers were reversed. Just my personal preference. The top students at S don't lag the top students at H in opportunities, and the bottom of the class at S does better than the bottom of the class at H in a down economy. I would also prefer things like the smaller class size and the location, which is not the case for everyone. (On the other hand, I consider the quarter system at S to be a negative for QOL.)

Between S and H, it's largely about where you'll be happiest. You can't make an objectively poor decision here.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”