University of Washington

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

UW for $125k

Yes
5
42%
No
7
58%
 
Total votes: 12

User avatar
WisemanAEKDB
Posts: 329
Joined: Tue Jan 15, 2013 7:01 pm

University of Washington

Postby WisemanAEKDB » Wed Apr 03, 2013 10:29 am

So, this is currently my dream school, and I'm waitlisted. I'm flying out to see the school soon and get my foot in the door with admissions. If I were to get in, COA would be approximately $125k in tuition (all living expenses completely paid for). I know the retake lecture is imminent, but for those of you who don't know UW, they do not offer much $$ at all, even to people 170+, which I will absolutely never break. I gave 6+ months to the LSAT and improved 9 points, but I have probably maxed out. Even if I retook to a 166, I wouldn't be seeing much of any $$ at UW. I honestly just don't think I could ever score high enough to get $$ at T-14, and I'm okay with that.

That being said, I want to have my career in Seattle, and I want to settle down there permanently. With a 66.9% employment score, and a 9.9% biglaw placement, it's not the worst option in the world. I'm definitely down for biglaw slavery hours since that's the most reasonable option to pay off the debt.

Basically, is UW too risky on the employment numbers to take $125K out and have a reasonable time attempting to pay it off? Even a simple "yes" or "no" would suffice. Please don't worry about other options right now, just asking about UW specifically.

Redfactor
Posts: 429
Joined: Fri Jun 10, 2011 8:52 pm

Re: University of Washington

Postby Redfactor » Wed Apr 03, 2013 10:44 am

Have you lived in Seattle before? Do you have ties?

User avatar
WisemanAEKDB
Posts: 329
Joined: Tue Jan 15, 2013 7:01 pm

Re: University of Washington

Postby WisemanAEKDB » Wed Apr 03, 2013 11:06 am

Redfactor wrote:Have you lived in Seattle before? Do you have ties?


I have not. I have only visited.

User avatar
052220151
Posts: 2421
Joined: Fri Jun 08, 2012 4:58 am

Re: University of Washington

Postby 052220151 » Wed Apr 03, 2013 11:25 am

WisemanAEKDB wrote:
Redfactor wrote:Have you lived in Seattle before? Do you have ties?


I have not. I have only visited.


It's a tough market to crack without ties. It's also a terrible city.

User avatar
WisemanAEKDB
Posts: 329
Joined: Tue Jan 15, 2013 7:01 pm

Re: University of Washington

Postby WisemanAEKDB » Wed Apr 03, 2013 11:26 am

deputydog wrote:
WisemanAEKDB wrote:
Redfactor wrote:Have you lived in Seattle before? Do you have ties?


I have not. I have only visited.


It's a tough market to crack without ties. It's also a terrible city.


Yeah? Personal experience, or what? I'd like to hear more.

rad lulz
Posts: 9844
Joined: Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:53 pm

Re: University of Washington

Postby rad lulz » Wed Apr 03, 2013 11:28 am

Not from seattle

+

MASSIVE debt

=

Too risky bro

nickb285
Posts: 1500
Joined: Mon Jul 16, 2012 4:25 pm

Re: University of Washington

Postby nickb285 » Wed Apr 03, 2013 11:46 am

.
Last edited by nickb285 on Sun Jul 16, 2017 5:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Redfactor
Posts: 429
Joined: Fri Jun 10, 2011 8:52 pm

Re: University of Washington

Postby Redfactor » Wed Apr 03, 2013 11:54 am

deputydog wrote:
It's a tough market to crack without ties. It's also a terrible city.


Troll. Seattle rocks if you're good with the weather. People, outdoors and Salmon fishing 8 months out of the year!


OP: very risky. Did you apply to SU and if so, get a good scholarship?

User avatar
WisemanAEKDB
Posts: 329
Joined: Tue Jan 15, 2013 7:01 pm

Re: University of Washington

Postby WisemanAEKDB » Wed Apr 03, 2013 11:57 am

Redfactor wrote:
deputydog wrote:
It's a tough market to crack without ties. It's also a terrible city.


Troll. Seattle rocks if you're good with the weather. People, outdoors and Salmon fishing 8 months out of the year!


OP: very risky. Did you apply to SU and if so, get a good scholarship?


Didn't apply to SU. Employment stats were a bit too crazy. Honestly was thinking I had a pretty good shot at UW, but just barely got WL'd.

User avatar
Winston1984
Posts: 1789
Joined: Sun Mar 17, 2013 12:02 pm

Re: University of Washington

Postby Winston1984 » Wed Apr 03, 2013 12:05 pm

OP, I understand that you might not be able to significantly improve your score (which isn't that bad btw) but there are a few things you can do to lower your cost. Go move to Seattle and live there for a year. Get a job and study for the LSAT, and at least you could get in-state tuition. That should knock your COA down significantly.

User avatar
WisemanAEKDB
Posts: 329
Joined: Tue Jan 15, 2013 7:01 pm

Re: University of Washington

Postby WisemanAEKDB » Wed Apr 03, 2013 12:13 pm

Winston1984 wrote:OP, I understand that you might not be able to significantly improve your score (which isn't that bad btw) but there are a few things you can do to lower your cost. Go move to Seattle and live there for a year. Get a job and study for the LSAT, and at least you could get in-state tuition. That should knock your COA down significantly.


Yeah, moving for employment is also an option, as in-state would knock down costs to a reasonable level. I'm just honestly not sure what kind of semi-enjoyable employment I could obtain with my current degree.

Redfactor
Posts: 429
Joined: Fri Jun 10, 2011 8:52 pm

Re: University of Washington

Postby Redfactor » Wed Apr 03, 2013 12:20 pm

WisemanAEKDB wrote:
Winston1984 wrote:OP, I understand that you might not be able to significantly improve your score (which isn't that bad btw) but there are a few things you can do to lower your cost. Go move to Seattle and live there for a year. Get a job and study for the LSAT, and at least you could get in-state tuition. That should knock your COA down significantly.


Yeah, moving for employment is also an option, as in-state would knock down costs to a reasonable level. I'm just honestly not sure what kind of semi-enjoyable employment I could obtain with my current degree.


The kind that saves you 35k+?

Lord Randolph McDuff
Posts: 1592
Joined: Wed Jun 08, 2011 4:37 pm

Re: University of Washington

Postby Lord Randolph McDuff » Wed Apr 03, 2013 12:36 pm

Please move to the state and wait tables, sell used cars, answer phones for a year. You will save yourself a ton if money AND make your self a bit more marketable in Washington after you graduate.




Return to “Choosing a Law School”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests