University of Washington

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

UW for $125k

Yes
42%
No
58%

Total votes: 12

WisemanAEKDB

University of Washington

Postby WisemanAEKDB » Wed Apr 03, 2013 10:29 am

So, this is currently my dream school, and I'm waitlisted. I'm flying out to see the school soon and get my foot in the door with admissions. If I were to get in, COA would be approximately $125k in tuition (all living expenses completely paid for). I know the retake lecture is imminent, but for those of you who don't know UW, they do not offer much $$ at all, even to people 170+, which I will absolutely never break. I gave 6+ months to the LSAT and improved 9 points, but I have probably maxed out. Even if I retook to a 166, I wouldn't be seeing much of any $$ at UW. I honestly just don't think I could ever score high enough to get $$ at T-14, and I'm okay with that.

That being said, I want to have my career in Seattle, and I want to settle down there permanently. With a 66.9% employment score, and a 9.9% biglaw placement, it's not the worst option in the world. I'm definitely down for biglaw slavery hours since that's the most reasonable option to pay off the debt.

Basically, is UW too risky on the employment numbers to take $125K out and have a reasonable time attempting to pay it off? Even a simple "yes" or "no" would suffice. Please don't worry about other options right now, just asking about UW specifically.

Redfactor

Re: University of Washington

Postby Redfactor » Wed Apr 03, 2013 10:44 am

Have you lived in Seattle before? Do you have ties?

WisemanAEKDB

Postby WisemanAEKDB » Wed Apr 03, 2013 11:06 am

Redfactor wrote:Have you lived in Seattle before? Do you have ties?

I have not. I have only visited.

Postby 052220151 » Wed Apr 03, 2013 11:25 am

WisemanAEKDB wrote:

It's a tough market to crack without ties. It's also a terrible city.

WisemanAEKDB

Postby WisemanAEKDB » Wed Apr 03, 2013 11:26 am

deputydog wrote:
WisemanAEKDB wrote:

Yeah? Personal experience, or what? I'd like to hear more.

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Wed Apr 03, 2013 11:28 am

Not from seattle

+

MASSIVE debt

=

Too risky bro

nickb285

Postby nickb285 » Wed Apr 03, 2013 11:46 am

I actually like Seattle, but $125k with no existing connections is pretty risky. That's roughly $1500/month in student loan payments, meaning your gross salary will need to be about $25k/year higher than your COL (which if I'm not mistaken is pretty high in Seattle) in order for you to avoid IBR. They're a good school academically, but their job placement isn't good enough to make up for their stinginess IMO. If you could talk them down a bit I'd say go for it, but at sticker I don't think so.

Redfactor

Postby Redfactor » Wed Apr 03, 2013 11:54 am

deputydog wrote:

Troll. Seattle rocks if you're good with the weather. People, outdoors and Salmon fishing 8 months out of the year!

OP: very risky. Did you apply to SU and if so, get a good scholarship?

WisemanAEKDB

Postby WisemanAEKDB » Wed Apr 03, 2013 11:57 am

Redfactor wrote:
deputydog wrote:

Troll. Seattle rocks if you're good with the weather. People, outdoors and Salmon fishing 8 months out of the year!

OP: very risky. Did you apply to SU and if so, get a good scholarship?

Didn't apply to SU. Employment stats were a bit too crazy. Honestly was thinking I had a pretty good shot at UW, but just barely got WL'd.

Winston1984

Postby Winston1984 » Wed Apr 03, 2013 12:05 pm

OP, I understand that you might not be able to significantly improve your score (which isn't that bad btw) but there are a few things you can do to lower your cost. Go move to Seattle and live there for a year. Get a job and study for the LSAT, and at least you could get in-state tuition. That should knock your COA down significantly.

WisemanAEKDB

Postby WisemanAEKDB » Wed Apr 03, 2013 12:13 pm

Winston1984 wrote:OP, I understand that you might not be able to significantly improve your score (which isn't that bad btw) but there are a few things you can do to lower your cost. Go move to Seattle and live there for a year. Get a job and study for the LSAT, and at least you could get in-state tuition. That should knock your COA down significantly.

Yeah, moving for employment is also an option, as in-state would knock down costs to a reasonable level. I'm just honestly not sure what kind of semi-enjoyable employment I could obtain with my current degree.

Redfactor

Postby Redfactor » Wed Apr 03, 2013 12:20 pm

WisemanAEKDB wrote:
Winston1984 wrote:OP, I understand that you might not be able to significantly improve your score (which isn't that bad btw) but there are a few things you can do to lower your cost. Go move to Seattle and live there for a year. Get a job and study for the LSAT, and at least you could get in-state tuition. That should knock your COA down significantly.

Yeah, moving for employment is also an option, as in-state would knock down costs to a reasonable level. I'm just honestly not sure what kind of semi-enjoyable employment I could obtain with my current degree.

The kind that saves you 35k+?

Lord Randolph McDuff

Postby Lord Randolph McDuff » Wed Apr 03, 2013 12:36 pm

Please move to the state and wait tables, sell used cars, answer phones for a year. You will save yourself a ton if money AND make your self a bit more marketable in Washington after you graduate.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”