Undergraduate wanting to apply to law school in England

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
yahiyasaad

Undergraduate wanting to apply to law school in England

Postby yahiyasaad » Wed Apr 03, 2013 10:14 am

Greetings,

I am a first-year undergraduate at the University of Virginia, and while looking at prospective law schools I'd want to attend I couldn't help but squirm in my chair at the overwhelming price. I do not want a lot of debt, and I see debt as a form of slavery. After going through several websites, one had suggested something interesting: It is cheaper to go to law school in England, and when you come back 27 states will still acknowledge that degree as valid.

I did further research. It turns out that Law is obtained as an LLB, an equivalent to a bachelor's here. They do have LLMs, which are like Masters degrees of law, but I was wondering if an LLB was a necessary prerequisite for an LLM, or whether I could get my degree here at UVa and then apply for an LLM in Oxford or Cambridge, among other places.

If anyone were so kind as to shine light on this situation, it would be very much appreciated.

Thank you so much!

guano

Re: Undergraduate wanting to apply to law school in England

Postby guano » Wed Apr 03, 2013 10:19 am

Do you already have a job lined up (through close family)?
Where do you want to practice?

Going that route will seriously impact your job prospects, so unless you have a clearly defined plan, it's probably a bad idea

twenty

Postby twenty » Wed Apr 03, 2013 10:21 am

Nah, you have to get the LLB if you want to do the LLM in the UK (or anywhere in Europe, actually). At that point, you're doing 5 years of post-grad school to get a degree only recognized in half the states as eligible for the bar, and has placement power on par with a T20 school. Also, unless you're a UK national, good luck getting financing for either degree.

Alternative; study for the LSAT, keep up your GPA in college, go to a T20 school in the US for free/close to it with a big scholarship.

Ave

Postby Ave » Wed Apr 03, 2013 10:23 am

Although you should go to LS here if you wish to practice here, if you truly want to go to Oxbridge for your law degree, I suggest you to transfer rather than completing UG at UVA and then applying for the senior status degree at Cambridge. But then again, if you don't have the qualifications to be accepted into Oxford or Cambridge, I suggest you to get the highest GPA/LSAT possible and hope for a scholarship here.

Also, if this were such a viable and great idea, more would've already done the exact same thing

yahiyasaad

Postby yahiyasaad » Wed Apr 03, 2013 10:25 am

Well, looks I'll have to suck it up and try my best to obtain serious scholarship money. Thank you so much for the feedback!

envisciguy

Postby envisciguy » Wed Apr 03, 2013 11:23 am

Just focus on getting great grades in undergrad and put forth a lot of work on the LSAT and you'll have plenty of options that won't crush you with debt. I'd suggest that you make sure you take classes in undergrad that interest you though - don't go into this with the narrow focus that it's law school or bust. You're in your first year of college, there's a pretty good chance you might change your mind about what to do with your life.

RedGiant

Postby RedGiant » Sun Apr 07, 2013 9:41 am

yahiyasaad wrote:Well, looks I'll have to suck it up and try my best to obtain serious scholarship money. Thank you so much for the feedback!

The most respected post-bac law program in the UK is The College of Law. Check out rollonfriday.co.uk for more info on it and other training programs. Note that school would not be your biggest issue over there. Obtaining a UK work permit and getting loans to study would be. Check out TheLondonLink for more immigration info.

banjo

Postby banjo » Sun Apr 07, 2013 11:05 am

Going international is almost always a bad idea. There are too many unknowns. At least for US schools we have LST and a huge body of anecdotal evidence.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”