UIUC (almost free) or WAIT?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
pahuber2

UIUC (almost free) or WAIT?

Postby pahuber2 » Wed Apr 03, 2013 12:52 am

I'm almost positive that my decision is already made but I'm curious to hear some other opinions. My interest is in environmental law or public interest and I am not debt-averse. My numbers are 3.6/164. I was offered a 75% at UIUC and I have yet to hear about FAFSA. Am I silly to turn down such a generous offer? If I study for the next six months I am confident that I can bring up my score to the 170s and give me a shot at a T14. Job prospects are important to me and I think that compromising for one year may mean that I won't have to compromise down the road when I am looking for a job. Even more compelling is the academic environment at a top school. Thanks in advance.

BarbellDreams

Re: UIUC (almost free) or WAIT?

Postby BarbellDreams » Wed Apr 03, 2013 1:05 am

If you're confident you can get a 170 just retake. Law School will always be there next year (likely with an even bigger scholly due to better LSAT + more law school desperation to accept anyone who wants in).

sdmelzer

Postby sdmelzer » Wed Apr 03, 2013 11:40 am

Do you have cost of living covered if you attend Illinois? 75% scholarship still means 25% of the tuition is out of pocket, as well as the COL. Add those in with interest accrued and you are approaching 90k or more. I don't really see that as "almost free."

PRgradBYU

Postby PRgradBYU » Wed Apr 03, 2013 11:55 am

pahuber2 wrote:Job prospects are important to me ... .

Then I think you know what you have to do. Retake, do well and enjoy the T14.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”