Looking for the best law school experience Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
eric922

Bronze

Re: Looking for the best law school experience

Post by eric922 » Thu Apr 04, 2013 12:14 am

patrickd139 wrote:
marcfj wrote:Go to BU. Living in Boston for law school is great and you will meet friends for life.
Don't over stress the 2011 job stats as the world could (and likely will) be in a different place in 2016.
Also, BU (as do most of the top 30) has great professors.
You are the worst kind of poster and should be banned.
I'm glad I'm not the only one who thought this was horrible advice. OP if you want a fun experience go back to UG. That was the time to party and have a social life. From what I've read on these forums law school doesn't leave too much time for that. Though, I'll admit some of the posts about UVA make it sound kind of fun if you like drinking.

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Thu Apr 04, 2013 12:28 am

It sounds like OP is filthy rich and just looking to party for three years, and not even really looking to use the law degree. So the typical law school advice (things like minimize debt, work hard, get a job, etc.) don't apply. I'd just go somewhere like Miami or Pepperdine or whatever kind of raging party scene you're into and go there.

timbs4339

Gold

Post by timbs4339 » Thu Apr 04, 2013 12:30 am

romothesavior wrote:It sounds like OP is filthy rich and just looking to party for three years, and not even really looking to use the law degree. So the typical law school advice (things like minimize debt, work hard, get a job, etc.) don't apply. I'd just go somewhere like Miami or Pepperdine or whatever kind of raging party scene you're into and go there.
This. Law school isn't the best place to find a raging social scene, and Boston in the winter sucks. Go somewhere you can have fun year round.

OP: I'm legitimately curious. Why do your parents care about you getting a law degree, of all things?

sinfiery

Gold

Post by sinfiery » Thu Apr 04, 2013 12:34 am

Goto New York law school

It will trick your parents into thinking you must've meant NYU and you can chill in NYC for 3 years

bizzybone1313

Silver

Post by bizzybone1313 » Thu Apr 04, 2013 12:35 am

Did you apply to UT Austin? One of the best bangs for the buck in the country. Great weather. Great social scene. Solid law degree in case you actually do want a job practicing law. It sounds like your numbers would be competitive. I would try to apply even if it is a little late in the app. season.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

hephaestus

Gold

Post by hephaestus » Thu Apr 04, 2013 12:38 am

Law school for the social scene is the funniest thing I've heard for a while.

zorro.99

New

Post by zorro.99 » Thu Apr 04, 2013 4:55 am

timbs4339 wrote:
romothesavior wrote:It sounds like OP is filthy rich and just looking to party for three years, and not even really looking to use the law degree. So the typical law school advice (things like minimize debt, work hard, get a job, etc.) don't apply. I'd just go somewhere like Miami or Pepperdine or whatever kind of raging party scene you're into and go there.
This. Law school isn't the best place to find a raging social scene, and Boston in the winter sucks. Go somewhere you can have fun year round.

OP: I'm legitimately curious. Why do your parents care about you getting a law degree, of all things?
Literally every single person in my family has a law degree...both my parents, even my grandmother. It's basically an expectation.

zorro.99

New

Post by zorro.99 » Thu Apr 04, 2013 4:56 am

bizzybone1313 wrote:Did you apply to UT Austin? One of the best bangs for the buck in the country. Great weather. Great social scene. Solid law degree in case you actually do want a job practicing law. It sounds like your numbers would be competitive. I would try to apply even if it is a little late in the app. season.
Unfortunately got rejected!

John_rizzy_rawls

Gold

Post by John_rizzy_rawls » Thu Apr 04, 2013 7:02 am

So just for the record: you want to spend a quarter million dollars of your parents' cash to party at a shitty school for 3 years despite not knowing what you want to practice and without paying any mind to the employment prospects at that school because you could actually just save your parents' cash and work in the family business?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

untar614

Silver

Post by untar614 » Thu Apr 04, 2013 7:52 am

Yeah definitely just take the 250k and go hang in a really upscale area for 3 years going to expensive parties and networking with rich ppl with business connections. Much better use of your time and parents' money.

NYstate

Gold

Post by NYstate » Thu Apr 04, 2013 7:55 am

John_rizzy_rawls wrote:So just for the record: you want to spend a quarter million dollars of your parents' cash to party at a shitty school for 3 years despite not knowing what you want to practice and without paying any mind to the employment prospects at that school because you could actually just save your parents' cash and work in the family business?
See, I agree with this. Even the wealthiest people I know understand that a quarter of a million dollars is a lot of money. ( at it will probably cost more than that.) Not sure why your parents just want to throw it away.

im not sure any law schools have a great party scene because most people there will be working pretty hard to do well.

So you should decide what city gives you the best chance to have fun. Pick based on the hobbies you have and available options. New York is a great choice and if you are truly wealthy, you will have the money to take advantage of the best the city has to offer. No worrying about having roommates or cheap living arrangement for you.

I hear boulder has a number of trust fund ski bum kids but that is just based on rumor.

timbs4339

Gold

Post by timbs4339 » Thu Apr 04, 2013 9:40 am

zorro.99 wrote:
timbs4339 wrote:

Literally every single person in my family has a law degree...both my parents, even my grandmother. It's basically an expectation.
So what you're saying is that without the law degree you'd be cut off from your family's wealth?

untar614

Silver

Post by untar614 » Thu Apr 04, 2013 10:20 am

zorro.99 wrote:
If it's just for the degree, I guess find somewhere that will give you a nice scholarship in a good location you will enjoy - you're stats should at least get you some scholarships at TTT schools. No reason to waste your parents money for nothing. However, if they want you to have it for namesake, maybe convince then to let you retake and then maybe you could ED UCLA and get in - they have good but not spectacular employment prospects, but if its just for the degree, UCLA's lay-prestige outranks its employment value, especially regarding portability :P . And if you got funds, LA should be a nice place to live and have fun.
Last edited by untar614 on Thu Apr 04, 2013 10:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

exitoptions

Bronze

Post by exitoptions » Thu Apr 04, 2013 10:20 am

This thread has just convinced me that we need a 100% estate tax.

twenty

Gold

Post by twenty » Thu Apr 04, 2013 11:54 am

BC and BU aren't really great "party scene" law schools. Wait it out to next year. ED to somewhere you really want to go.

nickb285

Silver

Post by nickb285 » Thu Apr 04, 2013 11:58 am

Last edited by nickb285 on Sun Jul 16, 2017 5:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

buddyt

Silver

Post by buddyt » Thu Apr 04, 2013 12:36 pm

exitoptions wrote:This thread has just convinced me that we need a 100% estate tax.
Yeah man, screw people who have built or been a recipient of an estate. We wouldn't want to let them decide what to do with their own money, would we?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

ironbmike

Bronze

Post by ironbmike » Thu Apr 04, 2013 12:38 pm

nickb285 wrote:
exitoptions wrote:This thread has just convinced me that we need a 100% estate tax.
Not to get into this discussion, but that would never work.

twenty

Gold

Post by twenty » Thu Apr 04, 2013 12:38 pm

buddytyler wrote:
Yeah man, screw people who have built or been a recipient of an estate. We wouldn't want to let them decide what to do with their own money, would we?
DAT REPUBLICAN SARCASM

nickb285

Silver

Post by nickb285 » Thu Apr 04, 2013 12:49 pm

Last edited by nickb285 on Sun Jul 16, 2017 5:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Thu Apr 04, 2013 1:00 pm

John_rizzy_rawls wrote:So just for the record: you want to spend a quarter million dollars of your parents' cash to party at a shitty school for 3 years despite not knowing what you want to practice and without paying any mind to the employment prospects at that school because you could actually just save your parents' cash and work in the family business?
Eh, it sounds like she's got decent numbers, so the "shitty" schools we're talking about wouldn't cost a quarter million a year. She could probably do a fun city like Miami or something for $100k. And if her folks are millionaires (and it sounds like they are given how nonchalantly OP talks about spending their dough), then $100k is piss in the wind. They're making her get the degree anyways, so why not just do it to appease them and have fun for three years?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

envisciguy

Bronze

Post by envisciguy » Thu Apr 04, 2013 1:08 pm

If employment prospects and debt truly don't matter at all, then go someplace warm with lots of things to do. If you got into BU and BC, you'd probably get into Miami. South Florida weather and entertainment will be much better than Boston.

patrickd139

Gold

Post by patrickd139 » Thu Apr 04, 2013 1:23 pm

romothesavior wrote:
Eh, it sounds like she's got decent numbers, so the "shitty" schools we're talking about wouldn't cost a quarter million a year. She could probably do a fun city like Miami or something for $100k. And if her folks are millionaires (and it sounds like they are given how nonchalantly OP talks about spending their dough), then $100k is piss in the wind. They're making her get the degree anyways, so why not just do it to appease them and have fun for three years?
Did you have a stroke?

eric922

Bronze

Post by eric922 » Thu Apr 04, 2013 1:28 pm

Lord Randolph McDuff

Gold

Post by Lord Randolph McDuff » Thu Apr 04, 2013 1:38 pm

patrickd139 wrote:
romothesavior wrote:
Did you have a stroke?
I know. He actually agrees with me.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”