Looking for the best law school experience

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
zorro.99

Looking for the best law school experience

Postby zorro.99 » Wed Apr 03, 2013 12:48 am

I should start with the disclaimer that I am very lucky that my parents will be covering all my expenses so I won't be taking on any debt by going to law school. I also have the potential to work in my family business if necessary. I totally understand why in most circumstances re-taking is ideal, but my parents would rather I start ASAP and since they're footing the bill I'm going to just go.

I'm looking to have the best possible experience over the next three years. I want to go to a school with a strong social scene and I'm hoping to make a ton of great friends. I'm really open as to what type of law I want to practice.

So far, really my best options are BC and BU. I've been waitlisted at Georgetown, GW, Fordham and Vanderbilt but I'm thinking its pretty unlikely that I'll get off of any.

Please let me know if you have any insight on what school you think I should chose, both between my current options and my potential waitlist options.

THANK YOU!!! Any feedback is very appreciated.

Rahviveh

Re: Looking for the best law school experience

Postby Rahviveh » Wed Apr 03, 2013 12:52 am

Show this to your parents so they will let you retake

http://WWW.lawschooltransparency.com

badaboom61

Postby badaboom61 » Wed Apr 03, 2013 1:10 am

Check out AreJay711's post here. This should answer all your questions.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=207184&start=25

zorro.99

Postby zorro.99 » Wed Apr 03, 2013 2:50 am

badaboom61 wrote:Check out AreJay711's post here. This should answer all your questions.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=207184&start=25

I worked as a legal assistant for a year at a banking & finance firm before going to college.

Ave

Postby Ave » Wed Apr 03, 2013 6:12 am

retake (persuade your parents: why are they rushing you)

marcfj

Postby marcfj » Wed Apr 03, 2013 12:48 pm

Go to BU. Living in Boston for law school is great and you will meet friends for life.
Don't over stress the 2011 job stats as the world could (and likely will) be in a different place in 2016.
Also, BU (as do most of the top 30) has great professors.

buddyt

Postby buddyt » Wed Apr 03, 2013 1:24 pm

marcfj wrote:Go to BU. Living in Boston for law school is great and you will meet friends for life.
Don't over stress the 2011 job stats as the world could (and likely will) be in a different place in 2016.

lol

If you don't retake you are flushing your parents' money down the toilet.

maxmartin

Postby maxmartin » Wed Apr 03, 2013 2:22 pm

zorro.99 wrote:I should start with the disclaimer that I am very lucky that my parents will be covering all my expenses so I won't be taking on any debt by going to law school. I also have the potential to work in my family business if necessary. I totally understand why in most circumstances re-taking is ideal, but my parents would rather I start ASAP and since they're footing the bill I'm going to just go.

I'm looking to have the best possible experience over the next three years. I want to go to a school with a strong social scene and I'm hoping to make a ton of great friends. I'm really open as to what type of law I want to practice.

So far, really my best options are BC and BU. I've been waitlisted at Georgetown, GW, Fordham and Vanderbilt but I'm thinking its pretty unlikely that I'll get off of any.

Please let me know if you have any insight on what school you think I should chose, both between my current options and my potential waitlist options.

If you are looking for strong social scene, choose BU

zorro.99

Postby zorro.99 » Wed Apr 03, 2013 3:01 pm

marcfj wrote:Go to BU. Living in Boston for law school is great and you will meet friends for life.

Thank you!!

zorro.99

Postby zorro.99 » Wed Apr 03, 2013 3:02 pm

maxmartin wrote:
zorro.99 wrote:I should start with the disclaimer that I am very lucky that my parents will be covering all my expenses so I won't be taking on any debt by going to law school. I also have the potential to work in my family business if necessary. I totally understand why in most circumstances re-taking is ideal, but my parents would rather I start ASAP and since they're footing the bill I'm going to just go.

If you are looking for strong social scene, choose BU

Thanks!!

banjo

Postby banjo » Wed Apr 03, 2013 3:21 pm

Finally, an appropriate occasion to say retake, ED UVA.

patrickd139

Postby patrickd139 » Wed Apr 03, 2013 3:35 pm

Law school is professional school, not vacation school.

Retake and go to a school that will land you a job or don't go. Or take your parents' money and do something that's actually useful. Footing what I assume to be a full-sticker price at BU or BC is just asinine, especially now that law students have most of the abysmal job prospects in front of them to make an informed decision. If you parents aren't smart enough to let you retake, then they're dumber than you are for choosing a school based on the club scene. JFC.

This is one of those times where people whose parents give them everything make me angry.

Rahviveh

Postby Rahviveh » Wed Apr 03, 2013 3:37 pm

patrickd139 wrote:Law school is professional school, not vacation school.

Retake and go to a school that will land you a job or don't go. Or take your parents' money and do something that's actually useful. Footing what I assume to be a full-sticker price at BU or BC is just asinine, especially now that law students have most of the abysmal job prospects in front of them to make an informed decision. If you parents aren't smart enough to let you retake, then they're dumber than you are for choosing a school based on the club scene. JFC.

This is one of those times where people whose parents give them everything make me angry.

Someone who has his parents footing the bill has even more of a reason to retake and get into the best school possible. In his situation he doesn't have to worry about choosing a lower-ranked school with worse prospects in order to minimize debt. I wouldn't settle until I maxed out retakes or got into a T14.

Postby 20141023 » Wed Apr 03, 2013 3:40 pm

Last edited by 20141023 on Mon Feb 16, 2015 1:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

patrickd139

Postby patrickd139 » Wed Apr 03, 2013 3:41 pm

You are the worst kind of poster and should be banned.

envisciguy

Postby envisciguy » Wed Apr 03, 2013 3:44 pm

zorro.99 wrote:

Thank you!!

That was some pretty objectively bad advice. Just assuming that the legal market will be better in a couple years is terrible reasoning. It could certainly be different, but that doesn't mean it will get better. You should probably retake and if your parents want to spend their money now, they can put it in your bank account. If you're going to go to law school for free, you should make sure your parents get the best return on their investment - and the schools your choosing between aren't the best investments.

Also, while it's important to make friends in law school, you shouldn't make that your main consideration.

Lord Randolph McDuff

Postby Lord Randolph McDuff » Wed Apr 03, 2013 3:45 pm

University of Hawaii. Stetson has a sweet set up by the bay. UW if you always wanted to try Seattle.

I can tell you are super wealthy. Just go to wherever you will have the most fun and lean on your family to get you a job. You are kinda doing that anyway so why half-ass it. Have you seen BU's law building? BU and BC will be competitive, full of kids who wanted to go to Harvard. Yeah go to Hawaii.

justonemoregame

Postby justonemoregame » Wed Apr 03, 2013 3:48 pm

kappycaft1 wrote:
zorro.99 wrote:I'm thinking its pretty unlikely that I'll get off

That's what she said… because you went to a school in Massachusetts that isn't Harvard.

ironbmike

Postby ironbmike » Wed Apr 03, 2013 3:52 pm

OP, just draft fake tuition bills to your parents, set up a fake holding company, and have them write the checks to you. Then take the $250,000 they're spending on your ass and party for three years on a yacht.

patrickd139

Postby patrickd139 » Wed Apr 03, 2013 3:54 pm

ironbmike wrote:OP, just draft fake tuition bills to your parents, set up a fake holding company, and have them write the checks to you. Then take the $250,000 they're spending on your ass and party for three years on a yacht.

Not a bad idea. Oddly enough, this will likely lead to increased job prospects over law school because of the people you'll be able to rub elbows with on the yacht. Odds are there's at least one who might be able to stash you somewhere in the middle-management structure of one of their corporations.

warandpeace

Postby warandpeace » Wed Apr 03, 2013 3:57 pm

patrickd139 wrote:
ironbmike wrote:OP, just draft fake tuition bills to your parents, set up a fake holding company, and have them write the checks to you. Then take the $250,000 they're spending on your ass and party for three years on a yacht.

Not a bad idea. Oddly enough, this will likely lead to increased job prospects over law school because of the people you'll be able to rub elbows with on the yacht. Odds are there's at least one who might be able to stash you somewhere in the middle-management structure of one of their corporations.

All of this, OP. I hope you're a slamming hot female with a 180 body. Good luck.

zorro.99

Postby zorro.99 » Wed Apr 03, 2013 6:54 pm

warandpeace wrote:
patrickd139 wrote:

All of this, OP. I hope you're a slamming hot female with a 180 body. Good luck.

Lollll ya I'm a girl

I totally understand where everyone is coming from. Essentially its important for my parents that I get a law degree, they don't really care whether I end up using it or not. I definitely don't want to offend anyone by that, just being honest.

If anyone can speak to the social scene at each school though, that's really what I'm looking for!

As for the Hawaii idea, sounds great to me but sadly I'm sure my parents wouldn't be down

ironbmike

Postby ironbmike » Wed Apr 03, 2013 7:02 pm

zorro.99 wrote:
warandpeace wrote:
patrickd139 wrote:

Lollll ya I'm a girl

I totally understand where everyone is coming from. Essentially its important for my parents that I get a law degree, they don't really care whether I end up using it or not. I definitely don't want to offend anyone by that, just being honest.

If anyone can speak to the social scene at each school though, that's really what I'm looking for!

As for the Hawaii idea, sounds great to me but sadly I'm sure my parents wouldn't be down

I mean, are you looking for hot guys to bang out? I'll let you know what schools have good scenes once I put my deposits down.

twenty

Postby twenty » Wed Apr 03, 2013 11:24 pm

ironbmike wrote:I mean, are you looking for hot guys to bang out? I'll let you know what schools have good scenes once I put my deposits down.

tmoney

Postby tmoney » Wed Apr 03, 2013 11:53 pm

Looking through your profile, I think that you should just go to Pepperdine. It's freaking Malibu. Do that, find a great guy after you've done all that you want to and blah blah. Happy ever after in the Pacific sun.
Side note: I wish I wouldn't have debt. PM if you want to give to a personal charity fund or are looking for a kept man.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”