UCLA (fo' free) vs. NU (not fo' free) Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Pick one. Or two, even.

UCLA ($32k COA)
49%
NU ($146k COA)
34%
Retake and reapply next cycle
17%

Total votes: 53

Nelson

Gold

Re: UCLA (fo' free) vs. NU (not fo' free)

Post by Nelson » Tue Apr 02, 2013 11:20 pm

Something went horribly wrong with your application. You need to go to HYS or CCN with big money with those numbers. Take a year off, get a bunch of people to read your app, and reapply next cycle day one.

Edit: No work experience? Get a year or two. Going straight through is a bad idea regardless. Then enjoy HYS.
Last edited by Nelson on Tue Apr 02, 2013 11:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TripTrip

Gold

Post by TripTrip » Tue Apr 02, 2013 11:20 pm

WokeUpInACar wrote:Chicago definitely YPs, and Columbia and NYU might be waiting to see if you'll withdraw because they've decided not to give you the biggest named scholarships and don't think you'll attend otherwise.

Also NU didn't offer the 150k to many people with 174+... They concentrated on 3.75+, 171-173 if you look at TLS and LSN because they didn't think they'd get people with numbers like yours.
That seems like a lot of coincidences strung together to me. :? If someone has an LSN example of this happening to any other applicant ever, I'd love to see it.

WokeUpInACar

Platinum

Post by WokeUpInACar » Tue Apr 02, 2013 11:21 pm

TripTrip wrote:
WokeUpInACar wrote:Chicago definitely YPs, and Columbia and NYU might be waiting to see if you'll withdraw because they've decided not to give you the biggest named scholarships and don't think you'll attend otherwise.

Also NU didn't offer the 150k to many people with 174+... They concentrated on 3.75+, 171-173 if you look at TLS and LSN because they didn't think they'd get people with numbers like yours.
That seems like a lot of coincidences strung together to me. :? If someone has an LSN example of this happening to any other applicant ever, I'd love to see it.
Was just checking this out :D Here are 3 from last year's cycle that look *somewhat* similar.

http://lawschoolnumbers.com/mr21
http://lawschoolnumbers.com/maxpower430
http://lawschoolnumbers.com/isaisaisa

TripTrip

Gold

Post by TripTrip » Tue Apr 02, 2013 11:34 pm

WokeUpInACar wrote:
TripTrip wrote:

Was just checking this out :D Here are 3 from last year's cycle that look *somewhat* similar.

http://lawschoolnumbers.com/mr21
http://lawschoolnumbers.com/maxpower430
http://lawschoolnumbers.com/isaisaisa
Hey, thanks! One school still stands out though: NYU. Those three all got in right quick.

According to LSN, out of 305 applicants to NYU with 174+ and 3.9+, 301 were accepted and 4 were waitlisted. All 4 of those waitlisted got HYS. BUT that places me squarely on the opposite side of the bell curve. Why the hell is it so difficult to determine whether I'm awesome or freakishly horrible?
Last edited by TripTrip on Tue Apr 02, 2013 11:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Emma.

Gold

Post by Emma. » Tue Apr 02, 2013 11:34 pm

Have you tried googling yourself? Maybe you share your name with someone really sketchy. Do you have a public FB profile with a bunch of inappropriate pics?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

TripTrip

Gold

Post by TripTrip » Tue Apr 02, 2013 11:35 pm

Emma. wrote:Have you tried googling yourself? Maybe you share your name with someone really sketchy. Do you have a public FB profile with a bunch of inappropriate pics?
Last name is common.
Last edited by TripTrip on Wed Apr 03, 2013 7:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TripTrip

Gold

Post by TripTrip » Tue Apr 02, 2013 11:39 pm

Nelson wrote:Edit: No work experience? Get a year or two. Going straight through is a bad idea regardless. Then enjoy HYS.
Three years full time work experience. One of them being military training.

Lavitz

Gold

Post by Lavitz » Tue Apr 02, 2013 11:40 pm

Why couldn't you make this easy and have the same preferences as twinkletoes? Or at least trade schollies with her: give her the UCLA full ride and you get an extra 15K from NU :lol:

In all seriousness though, I'm voting:
1. Wait for Cornell to match NU
2. ???
3. Join us in Ithaca 8)
TripTrip wrote:If Cornell gave me a full ride, I'd deposit and withdraw from UCLA and NU in a heartbeat. That would be awesome.
This, however, is not happening. I mean, unless they do something really unprecedented and recycle the Dean's Schollies, the most you should expect is 120K.

Not going to comment on the whole YP argument but you should know where I stand on this.

TripTrip

Gold

Post by TripTrip » Tue Apr 02, 2013 11:43 pm

Lavitz wrote:Why couldn't you make this easy and have the same preferences as twinkletoes? Or at least trade schollies with her: give her the UCLA full ride and you get an extra 15K from NU :lol:
Haha, we actually talked about this!
Lavitz wrote:
TripTrip wrote:If Cornell gave me a full ride, I'd deposit and withdraw from UCLA and NU in a heartbeat. That would be awesome.
This, however, is not happening. I mean, unless they do something really unprecedented and recycle the Dean's Schollies, the most you should expect is 120K.
Fair enough. I'm glad you dashed that hope preemptively.
Lavitz wrote:Not going to comment on the whole YP argument but you should know where I stand on this.
Yup.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Nelson

Gold

Post by Nelson » Tue Apr 02, 2013 11:43 pm

TripTrip wrote:
Nelson wrote:Edit: No work experience? Get a year or two. Going straight through is a bad idea regardless. Then enjoy HYS.
Three years full time work experience. One of them being military training.
I would be stunned if you didn't get into Harvard eventually unless you wrote a personal statement about how the person you most admire is Bull Connor.

Lavitz

Gold

Post by Lavitz » Tue Apr 02, 2013 11:49 pm

TripTrip wrote:
Lavitz wrote:
But now that I think about it, if you do decide to reapply next cycle, by getting your app in early and having already impressed them in your interview, they may invite you to apply for the Dean's Scholly. Something to consider when trying to decide what conceivable difference waiting for next cycle might make.

Big Dog

Silver

Post by Big Dog » Tue Apr 02, 2013 11:57 pm

Your UG institution and major shouldn't be hurting you
That is the common refrain on TLS, which I think is incorrect. Academics are prestige-whores through and through. It just makes no sense that they do not factor in undergrad and major. If nothing else, as a 'soft'.
Last edited by Big Dog on Wed Apr 03, 2013 12:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

TripTrip

Gold

Post by TripTrip » Tue Apr 02, 2013 11:58 pm

Lavitz wrote:
TripTrip wrote:
Lavitz wrote:
But now that I think about it, if you do decide to reapply next cycle, by getting your app in early and having already impressed them in your interview, they may invite you to apply for the Dean's Scholly. Something to consider when trying to decide what conceivable difference waiting for next cycle might make.
I'd have to give them a reason for withdrawing this year. Then next cycle they'd be hesitant about admitting me on account of I withdrew the prior cycle even after (presumably) being given a scholarship. Or am I missing something? :?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

bizzybone1313

Silver

Post by bizzybone1313 » Tue Apr 02, 2013 11:58 pm

OP is getting fucked. I would apply for the next 2-3 years until I got admitted and received $ from the T-7ish. Fuck that shit. Don't go to UCLA or NU-- you deserve a higher ranked school with $$.

Lavitz

Gold

Post by Lavitz » Tue Apr 02, 2013 11:59 pm

TripTrip wrote:I'd have to give them a reason for withdrawing this year. Then next cycle they'd be hesitant about admitting me on account of I withdrew the prior cycle even after (presumably) being given a scholarship. Or am I missing something? :?
Just throwing out ideas. I don't know enough about the effect reapplying has. All I know is that you were admitted too late to be eligible for the Dean's, so I thought I'd mention it. You obviously shouldn't decide to wait and reapply solely because of that possibility though.

TripTrip

Gold

Post by TripTrip » Wed Apr 03, 2013 12:04 am

bizzybone1313 wrote:OP is getting fucked. I would apply for the next 2-3 years until I got admitted and received $ from the T-7ish. Fuck that shit. Don't go to UCLA or NU-- you deserve a higher ranked school with $$.
I don't think I deserve more. I'm not sure anyone could say that. To be fair, my UG sends any of its law school applicants to the local T4 at sticker.
Lavitz wrote:
TripTrip wrote:I'd have to give them a reason for withdrawing this year. Then next cycle they'd be hesitant about admitting me on account of I withdrew the prior cycle even after (presumably) being given a scholarship. Or am I missing something? :?
Just throwing out ideas. I don't know enough about the effect reapplying has. All I know is that you were admitted too late to be eligible for the Dean's, so I thought I'd mention it. You obviously shouldn't decide to wait and reapply solely because of that possibility though.
Thanks for the input. I wish I could guarantee more for next cycle; then I'd bet on it.

Emma.

Gold

Post by Emma. » Wed Apr 03, 2013 12:07 am

bizzybone1313 wrote:OP is getting fucked. I would apply for the next 2-3 years until I got admitted and received $ from the T-7ish. Fuck that shit. Don't go to UCLA or NU-- you deserve a higher ranked school with $$.
I agree. OP, you either screwed up your PS or some other part of your app in some spectacular fashion, or this is a weird mix of your late-ish applications, plus YP hurting you at lower ranked schools and your unusual academic history hurting you at HYS.

You should be a shoe-in for Harvard, and the T-10 with $$$.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

bizzybone1313

Silver

Post by bizzybone1313 » Wed Apr 03, 2013 12:09 am

TripTrip wrote:
I don't think I deserve more. I'm not sure anyone could say that. To be fair, my UG sends any of its law school applicants to the local T4 at sticker.
Lavitz wrote:
Thanks for the input. I wish I could guarantee more for next cycle; then I'd bet on it.
You aren't entitled to more, but you are getting royally fucked. If you were to enroll at NU or UCLA, your numbers would put you like in the top 5% of their classes. Fuck Harvard's, Columbia's and the rest of the T-14 schools' elitism. You performed in terms of the GPA AND the LSAT-- they are fucking you. I would keep applying until the number whores cave and admit you with $$.

Rahviveh

Gold

Post by Rahviveh » Wed Apr 03, 2013 12:30 am

OP, can you expand more on what Cornell told you?

y2zipper

New

Post by y2zipper » Wed Apr 03, 2013 12:34 am

Quite frankly, I get the feeling you're not sure where you want to end up law-wise. I want big-law but I'm not dead-set on it doesn't convince me. If that's true, take UCLA. 32K in debt is doable practically as long as you can become a lawyer, and it's not like UCLA is terrible.

By the numbers, you can do better unless the unusual academic history is THAT bad.

sinfiery

Gold

Post by sinfiery » Wed Apr 03, 2013 12:37 am

Figure out if you're more debt averse or CA averse, drop the subsequent deposit and ride the WLs.

CCN will likely open up but will likely be a higher COA than NU.

Send a really nice LOCI to UVA soon as the first round of schollies have to be decided by the 4th and they say they recycle the money.

HS is in play obviously.

I'm really shocked by your cycle. We share similar app hangups but I really thought your extracurriculars plus vet status would get you better options. Even though I think you deserve an easier route, you still have a great offer from NU to come out with less debt than the vast majority and will probably end up in the same job. Or an offer basically no one has to actually graduate debt free.

Goodluck to you, you seem like a chill bro

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

FlowBro

Bronze

Post by FlowBro » Wed Apr 03, 2013 12:40 am

By looking at your LSN it looks like you submitted some apps kinda late (H/Columbia). Don't give up hope yet, I think this cycle is moving a lot slower than usual and I am sure you are just being semi-held. Once these schools need to raise their medians to fill their class after withdrawals, you're a shoe in.

If you think you'll lose, then you've already lost!

Samara

Gold

Post by Samara » Wed Apr 03, 2013 12:47 am

How happy would you be with NU? They might up you to a full-ride if you defer. Or if you apply ED next cycle I can't imagine you not getting it, considering they like you enough to give you $100k. Just something to consider.

I say wait for now. UCLA is probably the better choice and it would allow you to wait and see on the other schools. Can't you deposit at NU and change your mind later, anyway?

Gold

Post by 20141023 » Wed Apr 03, 2013 12:53 am

Last edited by 20141023 on Mon Feb 16, 2015 1:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Redfactor

Bronze

Post by Redfactor » Wed Apr 03, 2013 2:54 am

I think you should reapply.

I know that this is probably going to get laughed at by others, but it might be worth it to go to a reputible admissions consultant. It seems you've underperformed your numbers by quite a bit and they might be able to diagnose the issue.

I would look at your application as a puzzle and figure out which piece is throwing off the picture.

I personally don't buy the homeschool bit. You didn't get homeschooled through college and that's the GPA that should be most reflective of your abilities. And it has been well established that the quality of the school has little sway over the application.

I am curious to read your PS. If you are willing, can you PM it to me?

Also, what is this "military training" that you mentioned? If you started the military but didn't see it through, I can see that as a bad thing rather than good / neutral.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”