Seat deposit less than a week away help me make a decision.

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

If you were born and raised in Southern California which school

Poll ended at Thu May 02, 2013 3:17 pm

USD (sticker)
No votes
Loyola (22.5k total)
70%
University of Arizona (sticker)
30%

Total votes: 10

ashawnt

Seat deposit less than a week away help me make a decision.

Postby ashawnt » Tue Apr 02, 2013 3:17 pm

I'm from Southern California and would love to stay here but University of Arizonas rank and employment statistics has made making a decision difficult. With seat deposit deadlines approaching its time to make a decision!!

NanaP

Re: Seat deposit less than a week away help me make a decision.

Postby NanaP » Tue Apr 02, 2013 3:19 pm

ashawnt wrote:I'm from Southern California and would love to stay here but University of Arizonas rank and employment statistics has made making a decision difficult. With seat deposit deadlines approaching its time to make a decision!!

I would caution going anywhere at sticker. People are going to tell you to retake.

BigZuck

Postby BigZuck » Tue Apr 02, 2013 3:25 pm

If these were my choices I would not go to law school.

md22

Postby md22 » Tue Apr 02, 2013 3:29 pm

USD at sticker? Might as well borrow 200,000 bucks and take it to Vegas. Please retake. The idea of going anywhere at sticker makes me dizzy.

twenty

Postby twenty » Tue Apr 02, 2013 3:35 pm

md22 wrote:USD at sticker? Might as well borrow 200,000 bucks and take it to Vegas. Please retake. The idea of going anywhere at sticker makes me dizzy.

You'd ultimately do way better if you put it all on red. A 50/50 shot at making double your money's worth back is significantly better odds than USD.

bchirco

Postby bchirco » Tue Apr 02, 2013 5:01 pm

I don't understand, is the $22k the total CoA? If so then absolutely Loyola. If that is the scholarship and you arent going to retake, go to Arizona no doubt. Yes you will have to work in Az, but that school punches in way above its weight. Never go to USD at sticker unless you don't care about landing a legal job. Actually, just never go to USD at sticker.

Retake>Arizona>Don't go.

Some would argue

Retake>Don't go> Arizona.

jbagelboy

Postby jbagelboy » Tue Apr 02, 2013 5:38 pm

ashawnt wrote:I'm from Southern California and would love to stay here but University of Arizonas rank and employment statistics has made making a decision difficult. With seat deposit deadlines approaching its time to make a decision!!

If you are new to TLS, know that people are highly critical of schools that can't place you into biglaw or prestigious PI positions. do you care about how this education is financed? the idea behind much of the logic you will hear is that you should not loan out money that you will not be able to repay. If someone is funding you education in full and you just want a JD degree, then that's a different consideration.

ashawnt

Postby ashawnt » Tue Apr 02, 2013 5:51 pm

The 22.5k for Loyola is the total amount of scholarship given to me. 7.5k a year.. .. So Loyola would be pretty close to sticker as well...sorry for the confusion guys.

PRgradBYU

Postby PRgradBYU » Tue Apr 02, 2013 5:57 pm

BigZuck wrote:If these were my choices I would not go to law school.

+1. If you're absolutely insistent, however, I also agree with this:

bchirco wrote:Retake>Arizona>Don't go.

RSterling

Postby RSterling » Tue Apr 02, 2013 6:12 pm

I rarely make an appearance in these types of threads, but none of these are particularly good options. Waiting a year and retaking could potentially be worth tens of thousands of dollars. As a fellow retaker, I know it's awful to switch gears when you see yourself in law school this fall, but you can do better. One year is a drop in the bucket in comparison to everything that a solid retake could earn you.

unclepete

Postby unclepete » Tue Apr 02, 2013 6:18 pm

Loyola has a solid reputation is Southern CA. I agree with everybody else that you should NOT go there with the current offer, but could you negotiate more out of them? I've seen a lot of people on here w/ 90-96k from them

TripTrip

Postby TripTrip » Tue Apr 02, 2013 6:45 pm

unclepete wrote:Loyola has a solid reputation is Southern CA. I agree with everybody else that you should NOT go there with the current offer, but could you negotiate more out of them? I've seen a lot of people on here w/ 90-96k from them

It doesn't look like OP has much to negotiate with.

BigZuck

Postby BigZuck » Tue Apr 02, 2013 6:56 pm

OP, what are your numbers?

ManoftheHour

Postby ManoftheHour » Tue Apr 02, 2013 7:04 pm

ashawnt wrote:The 22.5k for Loyola is the total amount of scholarship given to me. 7.5k a year.. .. So Loyola would be pretty close to sticker as well...sorry for the confusion guys.

No way.

I'm CONSIDERING Loyola with 96k, but they have harsh stips (top 50%). I'll also add that I'm not paying a dime for COL either. 22.5k is a no go.

Retaking is by far my best choice and yours as well.

bananapeanutbutter

Postby bananapeanutbutter » Tue Apr 02, 2013 7:06 pm

ManoftheHour wrote:
ashawnt wrote:The 22.5k for Loyola is the total amount of scholarship given to me. 7.5k a year.. .. So Loyola would be pretty close to sticker as well...sorry for the confusion guys.

No way.

I'm CONSIDERING Loyola with 96k, but they have harsh stips (top 50%). I'll also add that I'm not paying a dime for COL either. 22.5k is a no go.

Retaking is by far my best choice and yours as well.

i wouldn't stress the stips at loyola - i'd stress the employment #'s.

if you don't meet those stips, you drop out. if there's no section stacking, even if stips were you need to be top 25%, i wouldn't consider that a deal breaker because if i wasn't top 25% i'd leave.

Doorkeeper

Postby Doorkeeper » Tue Apr 02, 2013 9:42 pm

Retake the LSAT and reapply next year to get a larger scholarship.

None of these law schools are worth the amount of money you would be paying them.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”