Committing to a school

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
TheSpanishMain

Committing to a school

Postby TheSpanishMain » Tue Apr 02, 2013 2:41 pm

Disclaimer: Brand new here. I've perused the FAQ and read over the forums and didn't see any similar questions. Apologies if this is something that's already been discussed and I just missed it.

What is the absolute, drop dead last minute one can formally and irretrievably commit to a law school? Like say you apply in the fall, receive offers of admission, and put down seat deposits. When must you sign a deal in blood?

Some back story: I'm a military spouse, and we'll be moving next summer (the year I start law school if all goes well.) We've narrowed it down to a few places we might be sent, and luckily all are within a reasonable distance from decent law schools. Unfortunately, we won't know definitively which base we're headed towards until around June of 2014. I understand most law schools want to have formal commitments before that, but do you think that under the circumstances they would be somewhat flexible with the timeline?
Last edited by TheSpanishMain on Tue Apr 02, 2013 3:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TripTrip

Re: Committing to a school

Postby TripTrip » Tue Apr 02, 2013 3:37 pm

The first day of class.

TheSpanishMain

Postby TheSpanishMain » Tue Apr 02, 2013 3:39 pm

TripTrip wrote:The first day of class.

I thought that was when the goat was killed over the copper bowl.

TripTrip

Postby TripTrip » Tue Apr 02, 2013 3:48 pm

It could really happen.

Say a Yale admit dies two weeks before class starts. Yale needs to fill the spot, so they pull someone off the waitlist. That person was at Stanford, and is grateful to get into Yale. Stanford is now in a similar position and pulls someone off their waitlist who was attending Harvard. Harvard pulls from Columbia, pulls from NYU, pulls from Penn, pulls from Mich, pulls from Duke, pulls from GULC, pulls from Vanderbilt, pulls from Notre Dame, and the chain continues down the line until every class is full again.

At the end of the line, there was a 120/1.0 who just got into Whittier at sticker the day before the first day of class and is ecstatic.

Redfactor

Postby Redfactor » Tue Apr 02, 2013 4:44 pm

TripTrip wrote:At the end of the line, there was a 120/1.0 who just got into Whittier at sticker the day before the first day of class and is ecstatic.

Well played, sir.

sublime

Postby sublime » Tue Apr 02, 2013 10:46 pm

Return to “Choosing a Law School”