.

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Colorado vs. Utah

Colorado (COA approx $65k)
6
46%
Utah (COA approx $56k-$85k)
7
54%
 
Total votes: 13

nickb285
Posts: 1500
Joined: Mon Jul 16, 2012 4:25 pm

.

Postby nickb285 » Tue Apr 02, 2013 11:41 am

.
Last edited by nickb285 on Sun Jul 16, 2017 5:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
WokeUpInACar
Posts: 5538
Joined: Tue Nov 01, 2011 11:11 pm

Re: Colorado vs. Utah

Postby WokeUpInACar » Tue Apr 02, 2013 12:16 pm

Utah is the right call here given your connections IMO, but I'd strongly consider dropping out if you lose the scholarship.

BigZuck
Posts: 11719
Joined: Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:53 am

Re: Colorado vs. Utah

Postby BigZuck » Tue Apr 02, 2013 12:19 pm

WokeUpInACar wrote:Utah is the right call here given your connections IMO, but I'd strongly consider dropping out if you lose the scholarship.

mrwarre85
Posts: 685
Joined: Fri Feb 27, 2009 8:40 pm

Re: Colorado vs. Utah

Postby mrwarre85 » Tue Apr 02, 2013 1:09 pm

Where do you want to work?

If Salt Lake, go to UTAH.

mrwarre85
Posts: 685
Joined: Fri Feb 27, 2009 8:40 pm

Re: Colorado vs. Utah

Postby mrwarre85 » Tue Apr 02, 2013 1:28 pm

nickb285 wrote:--Utah seems to have more flexibility when it comes to clinical programs and externships, which is pretty important to me, since I want to have as much hands-on experience as possible coming out of school.


Also curious about this. I just graduated from CU and you can get as much hands-on experience as you want here.

Still, where do you want to work? If Salt Lake, you go to UTAH. You'll probably lose your scholarship and hate living with your parents, but if you want to work in Utah go to the local school. Law school can be fun, but it isn't the time for a vacation.

nickb285
Posts: 1500
Joined: Mon Jul 16, 2012 4:25 pm

Re: Colorado vs. Utah

Postby nickb285 » Tue Apr 02, 2013 1:36 pm

.
Last edited by nickb285 on Sun Jul 16, 2017 5:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mrwarre85
Posts: 685
Joined: Fri Feb 27, 2009 8:40 pm

Re: Colorado vs. Utah

Postby mrwarre85 » Tue Apr 02, 2013 1:49 pm

nickb285 wrote:
mrwarre85 wrote:Also curious about this. I just graduated from CU and you can get as much hands-on experience as you want here.

Still, where do you want to work? If Salt Lake, you go to UTAH. You'll probably lose your scholarship and hate living with your parents, but if you want to work in Utah go to the local school. Law school can be fun, but it isn't the time for a vacation.


Talking with the people in charge of clinical programs and externships at each school, it sounds like Utah has more open slots available for clinics (particularly if you want to do more than one) than Colorado does, and externship hours are limited to seven at Colorado, 18 at Utah. Perhaps Utah's just better at selling it, but that's the impression I got.

Salt Lake is my first choice, but really I'm open to anywhere in the Mountain West.


Ahh. Yeah you can do two clinics at CU, easy, but you are correct about the limit for externships. There were rumblings that was changing when I left (just graduated three months ago). Who knows.

It sounds like CU will be cheaper because there are no stips on the scholarships here and in-state is automatic after 1L. Also there is no difference in employment between the two schools, they're peers. One school places in Colorado and the other in Utah. So if your first choice is SLC, then go to Utah.

nickb285
Posts: 1500
Joined: Mon Jul 16, 2012 4:25 pm

Re: Colorado vs. Utah

Postby nickb285 » Wed Apr 03, 2013 1:18 pm

.
Last edited by nickb285 on Sun Jul 16, 2017 5:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

UtahPhi
Posts: 43
Joined: Fri Jan 21, 2011 4:20 am

Re: Colorado vs. Utah

Postby UtahPhi » Wed Apr 03, 2013 1:27 pm

If you want to work in SLC and do environmental work, then Utah is the obvious choice. Clinical opportunities take higher priority here than they do at other places. Also, the practical opportunities to work in environmental law as a student, are nearly unmatched at the U.

Plus, you may get some time in the new building.

BigZuck
Posts: 11719
Joined: Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:53 am

Re: Colorado vs. Utah

Postby BigZuck » Wed Apr 03, 2013 1:30 pm

BigZuck wrote:
WokeUpInACar wrote:Utah is the right call here given your connections IMO, but I'd strongly consider dropping out if you lose the scholarship.

User avatar
WisemanAEKDB
Posts: 329
Joined: Tue Jan 15, 2013 7:01 pm

Re: Colorado vs. Utah

Postby WisemanAEKDB » Wed Apr 03, 2013 1:43 pm

Same scholarship (Utah). Same worries. I asked about 6 different students at ASD if they were on scholarship and every single one of them said they were paying sticker so they had no clue. They are definitely unwilling to remove the stip, but he insisted that no one ever really loses their scholarship. I figured with the employment statistics, I'd cut my losses after 1L if I couldn't get my crap together.

It's either that, or pay sticker -$20k/yr OOS at Davis, or sticker at UW for me. Personally, I'm not thinking Utah is a bad choice. I might be contented with taking their offer. I would recommend the same for you.

User avatar
patrickd139
Posts: 2892
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2009 8:53 pm

Re: Colorado vs. Utah

Postby patrickd139 » Wed Apr 03, 2013 1:46 pm

BigZuck wrote:
BigZuck wrote:
WokeUpInACar wrote:Utah is the right call here given your connections IMO, but I'd strongly consider dropping out if you lose the scholarship.

User avatar
dr123
Posts: 3503
Joined: Tue Jan 04, 2011 2:38 am

Re: Colorado vs. Utah

Postby dr123 » Wed Apr 03, 2013 1:51 pm

Seems like this really comes down to SLC v. Denver, more than anything.

UtahPhi
Posts: 43
Joined: Fri Jan 21, 2011 4:20 am

Re: Colorado vs. Utah

Postby UtahPhi » Wed Apr 03, 2013 1:57 pm

WisemanAEKDB wrote:Same scholarship (Utah). Same worries. I asked about 6 different students at ASD if they were on scholarship and every single one of them said they were paying sticker so they had no clue. They are definitely unwilling to remove the stip, but he insisted that no one ever really loses their scholarship. I figured with the employment statistics, I'd cut my losses after 1L if I couldn't get my crap together.

It's either that, or pay sticker -$20k/yr OOS at Davis, or sticker at UW for me. Personally, I'm not thinking Utah is a bad choice. I might be contented with taking their offer. I would recommend the same for you.


I'm on scholly at the U and I've made it through my 2L year. Anecdotal evidence, but most everyone I know who came in with a scholarship has kept it. Even if you did happen to lose your scholarship, there are a fair amount of scholarship options available that aren't heavily grade-based.

User avatar
Eberry
Posts: 14345
Joined: Fri Jun 29, 2012 10:32 am

Re: Colorado vs. Utah

Postby Eberry » Wed Apr 03, 2013 2:30 pm

patrickd139 wrote:
BigZuck wrote:
BigZuck wrote:
WokeUpInACar wrote:Utah is the right call here given your connections IMO, but I'd strongly consider dropping out if you lose the scholarship.

nickb285
Posts: 1500
Joined: Mon Jul 16, 2012 4:25 pm

Re: Colorado vs. Utah

Postby nickb285 » Wed Apr 03, 2013 2:35 pm

.
Last edited by nickb285 on Sun Jul 16, 2017 5:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

nickb285
Posts: 1500
Joined: Mon Jul 16, 2012 4:25 pm

Re: Colorado vs. Utah

Postby nickb285 » Wed Apr 03, 2013 2:40 pm

.
Last edited by nickb285 on Sun Jul 16, 2017 5:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Rahviveh
Posts: 2352
Joined: Mon Aug 06, 2012 12:02 pm

Re: Colorado vs. Utah

Postby Rahviveh » Wed Apr 03, 2013 2:41 pm

UtahPhi wrote:
WisemanAEKDB wrote:Same scholarship (Utah). Same worries. I asked about 6 different students at ASD if they were on scholarship and every single one of them said they were paying sticker so they had no clue. They are definitely unwilling to remove the stip, but he insisted that no one ever really loses their scholarship. I figured with the employment statistics, I'd cut my losses after 1L if I couldn't get my crap together.

It's either that, or pay sticker -$20k/yr OOS at Davis, or sticker at UW for me. Personally, I'm not thinking Utah is a bad choice. I might be contented with taking their offer. I would recommend the same for you.


I'm on scholly at the U and I've made it through my 2L year. Anecdotal evidence, but most everyone I know who came in with a scholarship has kept it. Even if you did happen to lose your scholarship, there are a fair amount of scholarship options available that aren't heavily grade-based.


No need to speculate, schools are required to post retention rates on their website:

--LinkRemoved--

So about a 20% reduction rate in the last three years. Sounds about right for a top 40% stip, but its a small sample.

Lord Randolph McDuff
Posts: 1592
Joined: Wed Jun 08, 2011 4:37 pm

Re: Colorado vs. Utah

Postby Lord Randolph McDuff » Wed Apr 03, 2013 3:17 pm

At least with the UBE you could take one bar exam and practice in both states, along with pretty much the whole mountain west.




Return to “Choosing a Law School”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: getty, Menchie and 1 guest