Drake or Iowa?!

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Drake or Iowa?

Drake
11%
Iowa
89%

Total votes: 19

Nova

Re: Drake or Iowa?!

Postby Nova » Mon Apr 08, 2013 7:33 pm

llachans wrote:
locthebloke wrote:When you have to consider that Drake probably attracts mainly people who scored in the low 150s, like any Third Tier, that seems pretty insulting.

I really don't think this is true and the bolded is definitely not true. From what I've heard and seen, if you can stay in the top half, you're likely to get a job after graduation. Further, if you want to stay in Des Moines, Drake is a much better investment than Iowa. Even Iowa students will readily admit this.

The bolded is basically true. Thats just fact.

Half the class has a 155 or lower. 25% of the class has a 152 of lower. The typical applicant likely has below a 155, considering half of applicants are rejected. Rejected applicants are in general more are likely to be underqualified.
http://www.law.drake.edu/admissions/?pa ... assProfile
Last edited by Nova on Mon Apr 08, 2013 7:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

guinness1547

Postby guinness1547 » Mon Apr 08, 2013 7:41 pm

WokeUpInACar wrote:
P4ttn wrote:I tried to negotiate the stip, but they said they could only add a guaranteed 5k.

I guess I should have posted my third option. I also have full time offer for an engineering job, but my goal has always been to practice patent law.

Take the engineering job and work for a couple years. In that time you can decide whether you truly want to practice law, you can save up money, you can make yourself more attractive to future legal employers, and you can study to retake the LSAT, which could very easily save you tens of thousands of dollars. An engineering job (especially with that impressive GPA) is a far better option for you than law school right now.

Definitely this. If you disagree and are completely hell bent on law school immediately, choose Iowa. The stipulation at Drake is ridiculous and is terrible compared to Iowa anyway.
Last edited by guinness1547 on Mon Apr 08, 2013 8:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

llachans

Postby llachans » Mon Apr 08, 2013 7:50 pm

Nova wrote:
Half the class has a 155 or lower. 25% of the class has a 152 of lower. The typical applicant likely has below a 155, considering half of applicants are rejected. Rejected applicants are in general more are likely to be underqualified.
http://www.law.drake.edu/admissions/?pa ... assProfile

RC error. "Applicant". That makes sense. Sorry for the confusion.

Yukos

Postby Yukos » Mon Apr 08, 2013 7:56 pm

llachans wrote:If you want to stay in Iowa/Des Moines area, most employers prefer Drake students because of the practical skills we pick up throughout law school. Many employers have told me that we are able to hit the ground running, whereas Iowa students tend to need to learn more about various researching and writing skills.

If employers "prefer" Drake students, how do you explain the fact that 71% of Iowa students get long-term, full-time bar-passage-required jobs but only 52% of Drake students do?

Ramius

Postby Ramius » Mon Apr 08, 2013 8:12 pm

llachans wrote:I'm a 1L at drake. I turned down Iowa for Drake with a 75% scholarship, with the same stipulations you've been given. My stats were also similar (160/3.50). Feel free to PM me and I'd be happy to answer questions about employment, networking, and overall reputations. If you want to go out of state or keep the possibility open to go out of state, definitely do Iowa. If you want to stay in Iowa/Des Moines area, most employers prefer Drake students because of the practical skills we pick up throughout law school. Many employers have told me that we are able to hit the ground running, whereas Iowa students tend to need to learn more about various researching and writing skills.

tastes good, doesn't it?

llachans

Postby llachans » Mon Apr 08, 2013 8:24 pm

Yukos wrote:
llachans wrote:If you want to stay in Iowa/Des Moines area, most employers prefer Drake students because of the practical skills we pick up throughout law school. Many employers have told me that we are able to hit the ground running, whereas Iowa students tend to need to learn more about various researching and writing skills.

If employers "prefer" Drake students, how do you explain the fact that 71% of Iowa students get long-term, full-time bar-passage-required jobs but only 52% of Drake students do?

The majority of the 52% stay in Iowa whereas a lot of Iowa students travel to IL, MN, and other bigger legal markets. I'm not saying Drake has smarter students or better employment overall. I'm saying that if you want to stay in Iowa, which I'm guessing OP does, it's not a terrible investment if you do alright. Obviously if you end up at median, Iowa is a much better school to be at and it's risky to assume you won't end up at median. I already said all of that though.

P4ttn

Postby P4ttn » Thu Apr 11, 2013 1:56 pm

locthebloke wrote:Question, OP. Why aren't you content to be an engineer? Jobs are numerous and salaries a good in engineering. Why would you give that up for law school?

My plan had always been patent law. I had a couple internships that reassured me on my decision to not practice engineering. If I'm not able to find a job in patent law I can fall back on engineering. Except, with a law degree, my starting salary would be higher and it would be more of a managerial/business position.

worldtraveler

Postby worldtraveler » Thu Apr 11, 2013 4:01 pm

I have a few high school friends who went to Drake. They are all enemployed, or working in shitty jobs. One is a school lunch lady and one works at a daycare.

Don't do it.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”