Updated Poll

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Which School

NYU (62,500-75,000 depending on what I make the 2nd summer)
18
53%
UVA (90,000)
16
47%
 
Total votes: 34

lawschoolboundfuture
Posts: 249
Joined: Sun Jun 19, 2011 3:07 pm

Updated Poll

Postby lawschoolboundfuture » Tue Apr 02, 2013 9:45 am

Hey all, I've made a couple of these in the past but I settled on my top two choices and have updated financial info. Thanks for your help. I want to end up in DC after graduation and eventually want to do PI but am okay with doing corporate for a few years.

User avatar
DoveBodyWash
Posts: 3087
Joined: Fri Dec 23, 2011 4:12 pm

Re: Updated Poll

Postby DoveBodyWash » Tue Apr 02, 2013 11:00 am

UVA is giving you more money, has significantly lower COA, and is in proximity to D.C. (making networking and externships/internships easier and more accessible). I'm assuming that UVA has better D.C. placement (could be wrong though, just a guess) UVA's PI isn't bad either, but probably not as good as NYU. But if you're looking to minimize debt and gun for D.C. then UVA seems like the better choice

User avatar
WokeUpInACar
Posts: 5513
Joined: Tue Nov 01, 2011 11:11 pm

Re: Updated Poll

Postby WokeUpInACar » Tue Apr 02, 2013 11:04 am

I think this is close enough that you should make your decision based on where you think you'd be happy living for three years.

User avatar
twenty
Posts: 3153
Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2012 1:17 pm

Re: Updated Poll

Postby twenty » Tue Apr 02, 2013 11:12 am

Voting UVA because you probably won't get DC, and having less debt + striking out > more debt + striking out

User avatar
DoveBodyWash
Posts: 3087
Joined: Fri Dec 23, 2011 4:12 pm

Re: Updated Poll

Postby DoveBodyWash » Tue Apr 02, 2013 11:17 am

twentypercentmore wrote:Voting UVA because you probably won't get DC, and having less debt + striking out > more debt + striking out


+1

I won't go far as to say that their placement power is equal, but it's likely that you'll have similar placement opportunities from both schools as far as employed vs. unemployed. The COA in Greenwich village is really expensive. Like...really. At this point just minimize debt.

User avatar
02889
Posts: 479
Joined: Wed Dec 28, 2011 12:21 pm

Re: Updated Poll

Postby 02889 » Tue Apr 02, 2013 11:39 am

cusenation wrote:
twentypercentmore wrote:Voting UVA because you probably won't get DC, and having less debt + striking out > more debt + striking out


+1

I won't go far as to say that their placement power is equal, but it's likely that you'll have similar placement opportunities from both schools as far as employed vs. unemployed. The COA in Greenwich village is really expensive. Like...really. At this point just minimize debt.

This assumes that, if you attend NYU, you'll live in the most expensive place possible, which isn't totally fair. I'd assume that if you live at NYU, you would live with one or more roommates in Brooklyn and pay $1000-1200/month. It's expensive, especially compared to the ability to live alone in Charlottesville for $800-900/month, but I don't think the cost difference is that extreme.

There are certainly lifestyle differences (for example, at UVA, you'll drive 5-10 minutes to get to class, and at NYU you'll be on the subway for 25-35 minutes to get to class). Cost is controllable, however.

User avatar
Renne Walker
Posts: 546
Joined: Sat Jan 29, 2011 2:12 am

Re: Updated Poll

Postby Renne Walker » Tue Apr 02, 2013 11:53 am

For NYU keep in mind. If you are fortunate and receive a 1L SA (which is doable) you will receive $24K net to take some of the sting out of NYC COL. Chances are excellent for a 2L SA, again $24K net income. Not sure about UVA opportunities other than there is the hassle of having to relocate to NYC for the summer if you receive a BL NYC SA.

User avatar
JamMasterJ
Posts: 6688
Joined: Sat Jan 29, 2011 7:17 pm

Re: Updated Poll

Postby JamMasterJ » Tue Apr 02, 2013 11:58 am

Renne Walker wrote:For NYU keep in mind. If you are fortunate and receive a 1L SA (which is doable) you will receive $24K net to take some of the sting out of NYC COL. Chances are excellent for a 2L SA, again $24K net income. Not sure about UVA opportunities other than there is the hassle of having to relocate to NYC for the summer if you receive a BL NYC SA.

you will, however, likely earn a little more because our summer funding is better.

Pick here if you're cool with working in NY for at least the first 2-3 year years of your career. If not, UVA

User avatar
Doorkeeper
Posts: 4872
Joined: Thu Jan 12, 2012 11:25 pm

Re: Updated Poll

Postby Doorkeeper » Tue Apr 02, 2013 12:07 pm

WokeUpInACar wrote:I think this is close enough that you should make your decision based on where you think you'd be happy living for three years.

All things being equal, I agree with this. The difference here is only 30-50k.

It looks like UVA places a lot more into DC (22% vs 8% for NYU). I don't know if this is a self-selection bias, or whether UVA really does have better DC connections. I would imagine a little of both. This being said, NYU is slightly safer for back-up options if your grades aren't good enough for DC from either school (48% vs. 60% overall biglaw).

lawschoolboundfuture
Posts: 249
Joined: Sun Jun 19, 2011 3:07 pm

Re: Updated Poll

Postby lawschoolboundfuture » Tue Apr 02, 2013 1:02 pm

twentypercentmore wrote:Voting UVA because you probably won't get DC, and having less debt + striking out > more debt + striking out


Why do you say probably wont get DC?

User avatar
gaud
Posts: 5790
Joined: Sat Feb 05, 2011 2:58 am

Re: Updated Poll

Postby gaud » Tue Apr 02, 2013 1:03 pm

WokeUpInACar wrote:I think this is close enough that you should make your decision based on where you think you'd be happy living for three years.


+1 to this and JMJ's comments

User avatar
twenty
Posts: 3153
Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2012 1:17 pm

Re: Updated Poll

Postby twenty » Tue Apr 02, 2013 3:33 pm

lawschoolboundfuture wrote:
twentypercentmore wrote:Voting UVA because you probably won't get DC, and having less debt + striking out > more debt + striking out


Why do you say probably wont get DC?


Because DC is a surprisingly small and very popular market dominated by HYS grads. Then you have to contend with top students from other T14 schools who also all want DC.

For the sake of figuring out your law school plans, *assume* you'll be in NYC for at least two years, if you're lucky enough to get a biglaw job at all.




Return to “Choosing a Law School”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests